Non-Conference Schedule Released

Old Titan

1 hour ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

The entire draw of an ORU-TU series is that it should be a decent game for the home team that can attract local basketball fans. Right now there isn't really any upside to this series over any other D1 team. Holding the game during Christmas break during the heart of bowl season negates any possible benefits.

+1.....Well said, Doc....:clap::eagles::clap:

My point above is that if you dump Tulsa, who do you get to replace them?  Please don't start scheduling a ton of bottom feeding D-I teams or NAIA teams to replace Tulsa.  At present and for whatever reason we apparently do not have many legit D-I teams banging on our door wanting to play us in the Mabee.  To me, we really only have 1 other legit D-I team at Mabee this year,  that being FGCU.  I know Cal Baptist is in its first year of D-I play, but really do not consider them much more than a D-II/NAIA team.  So until Tulsa can be replaced with another legit D-I team, leave that game alone.  BTW, when we start consistently winning, watch the home schedule improve.

Ecclesia College is going to be ugly, ugly, ugly.  They went 1-19 last season, while playing ten exhibitions, including two D-1 contests at McNeese State (101-54) and Texas State (85-43).  In addition to a sure W, this will be one of three home games for students to enjoy before Thanksgiving Break, and hopefully the team will build some momentum with the student body that will carry over to the Summit season.

11 hours ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

The entire draw of an ORU-TU series is that it should be a decent game for the home team that can attract local basketball fans. Right now there isn't really any upside to this series over any other D1 team. Holding the game during Christmas break during the heart of bowl season negates any possible benefits.

I thought the point was so ORU could have a guaranteed win every year without having to travel? :razz:

Seriously though, I think the series has the chance to become a real rivalry again soon. TU is going to have to get better if they want to remain relevant in their conference and ORU looks like they are taking basketball seriously again. Overall, if both teams are legitimately good, then there will naturally be a redevelopment of the old "who's the best team in Tulsa?" argument. Right now, since neither program is all that great, it seems like both fan bases are kind've apathetic. 

On 7/11/2018 at 2:32 PM, ORU82 said:

The “called out ones”, a church congregation or a political gathering in Ancient Greece.   Located in Springdale, Arkansas and founded in 1976 by the parents of Christian singer Twila Paris.  In 2013 had a full-time enrollment of 178.  Do not know anything beyond that.

That's cool...our church is singing a Twila Paris song this week. Didn't know that history.

I always learn something new on this sports board.

The travel for the upcoming non-conference season:

• 5 trips under 400 miles from campus
  • 3 trips around 1,000 miles from campus
Date Opponent Location Distance
Nov 6 Missouri State Springfield, Mo 184 miles
Nov 11 TCU Fort Worth, TX 282 miles
Nov 15 BYU Provo, UT 1184 miles
Nov 23 Northern Illinois Rochester, MI 956 miles
Nov 24 Oakland Rochester, MI 956 miles
Nov 25 James Madison Rochester, MI 956 miles
Dec 2 SMU Dallas, TX 248 miles
Dec 7 Missouri Columbia, MO 348 miles