Non-Conference Schedule Released

Old Titan

Credit where credit is due:  not only is this the earliest release of the ORU non-conference schedule in quite some time, it may the first time EVER the ORU non-conference schedule has been released before the conference schedule.  Impressive feat for a low-major in this day & age.

Looks like the team will be road warriors again through 2018 BUT only two true P5 opponents. This schedule seems more favorable than recent seasons... outside of TCU and BYU I think ORU has the chance to be competitive in every game.

Early predictions on ORU's record heading into the Mayor's Cup game Dec. 22? 

If it's better than 4-10, I'll be surprised.

Hard to say before we see if everyone actually shows up on campus and can contribute.

But initially I’d say 6-8

Brutal date for that TU game.   I think I'm pretty much over the ORU/TU game...........would not be disappointed if it went away for a few years.

Say a prayer for the guy or gal in charge of selling season tickets.

I'm pretty optimistic about this year. If all the guys that Mills recruited come to campus and the team buys into his system, I think they may shock some people. Optimistic me says 7-8

• Wins against Southwestern, Cal Baptist, Ecclesia, JMU, FGCU, TU, and Richmond
  • Losses against Missouri St, TCU, BYU, NIU, Oakland, SMU, Missouri, WSU

In all honesty, NIU, Oakland, Missouri St, JMU, FGCU, TU, and Richmond are all toss ups. Just a matter of which ORU team decides to show up. 

TheEagleman has seen a lot worse than this....5 home games.....2 neutral site and 8 road contests.....hard to say not knowing our exact roster but if everybody shows up and is a good as advertised....TheEagleman could see ORU winning 5 or 6 of those games.....final predictions and an over/under number to be determined on or about 11/1.....but this is a reasonable schedule....well done, Coach Mills and staff....:eagles:

Looks like a tough schedule to me. We go into January with maybe 5 wins or 6 tops. I'm like OT and will be surprised if we have more wins. Time will tell.

Ecclesia?  What is that?...and how is the game part of the Oakland Tournament?....:|

The “called out ones”, a church congregation or a political gathering in Ancient Greece.   Located in Springdale, Arkansas and founded in 1976 by the parents of Christian singer Twila Paris.  In 2013 had a full-time enrollment of 178.  Do not know anything beyond that.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ORUalum said:

Brutal date for that TU game.   I think I'm pretty much over the ORU/TU game...........would not be disappointed if it went away for a few years.

Say a prayer for the guy or gal in charge of selling season tickets.

TU is obviously not interested in any other dates besides the opening weeks of Nov or Christmas break when students are gone.

Why even play the game if there isn’t the effort to maximize interest & attendance in the city? I think this series has run it’s course.

4 hours ago, WeirdAlORU said:

In all honesty, NIU, Oakland, Missouri St, JMU, FGCU, TU, and Richmond are all toss ups. Just a matter of which ORU team decides to show up. 

I agree with this.

Nice non conference schedule. Hopefully some of these teams will give us a reciprocal game at the Mabee Center. 

Bleep TU....end the series....their attitude hasn't changed in 45 years....they think they are a Power 5 school....they aren't...plus no brains and no class....:thumbs-down-4::*:roll::puke:

I like the schedule. I can see a firm 5 wins before the TU game. Wins at Mo State, vs Southwestern, vs Cal Baptist, vs Ecclesia, win one of NIU, Oakland, or James Madison, and that puts us at 5 wins. That doesn't even consider the games against Missouri, Richmond, and Wichita State. Honestly, I like this schedule a lot because there's not many games that I would say ORU has no chance of winning. TCU is a definite hope to stay within 20 type of game. BYU is probably similar. SMU on the road could be rough as well. After those three games, our toughest games are Missouri, Richmond, and Wichita State. Wichita State students should be on break. Likewise for Richmond, so those two aren't as tough as they could be. Also, Missouri isn't great, and Wichita State is still looking down. All in all, it looks like the perfect schedule for this team. There's some good wins built in, and a lot of opportunities for our young team to get some statement wins. 

I too like the schedule.  At least we are not feeding on a steady diet of SWAC or MEAC teams.  As for the Tulsa series, if you dump them who are you replacing them with?  Is Okie State, Oklahoma, Arkansas or Wichita State ready to sign a multi-year contract where we alternate between each school every year?  Are they ready to agree to play in the Mabee every other year?  If not, who do you want to replace Tulsa with, some directional Oklahoma NAIA team?  Seriously, is that your idea of upgrading the schedule?  If not then leave Tulsa on the schedule.  At least it gets a true D-I team in the Mabee every other year.

TheEagleman detests TU...I wouldn't play them just on principle if they are going to dictate when the game is played every year...this crap goes back to the early 70s when they refused to play ORU because they were scared...and they still are....they don't respect us...lets play Ecclesia and their 198 student body...a win is a win....:nod:

TheEagleman obviously has a pre-existing bias towards the basketball program at TU.....but it goes back a long way and I am just a grumpy old man.....if the younger crowd still wants to play them annually then so be it.....but it just seems right that the game be played at a time when both student bodies are on campus and it's a favorable date for the season ticket holders....otherwise, it seems like the game has completely lost its' luster.....very sad....;(

12 hours ago, ORU82 said:

I too like the schedule.  At least we are not feeding on a steady diet of SWAC or MEAC teams.  As for the Tulsa series, if you dump them who are you replacing them with?  Is Okie State, Oklahoma, Arkansas or Wichita State ready to sign a multi-year contract where we alternate between each school every year?  Are they ready to agree to play in the Mabee every other year?  If not, who do you want to replace Tulsa with, some directional Oklahoma NAIA team?  Seriously, is that your idea of upgrading the schedule?  If not then leave Tulsa on the schedule.  At least it gets a true D-I team in the Mabee every other year.

The entire draw of an ORU-TU series is that it should be a decent game for the home team that can attract local basketball fans. Right now there isn't really any upside to this series over any other D1 team. Holding the game during Christmas break during the heart of bowl season negates any possible benefits.