NCAA Rule Change Will Prohibit Schools from Blocking Student-Athlete Transfers

ORUTerry

(excerpt)

The NCAA is changing a rule that allows schools to block student-athletes from transferring to different programs.

Per NCAA.org's Michelle Brutlag Hosick, the Division I Council approved a new "notification-of-transfer" rule that requires schools to enter a student who wishes to transfer into the national transfer database. At that point, coaches from other schools are free to contact the student.

Link:   https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2780950-ncaa-rule-change-will-prohibit-schools-from-blocking-student-athlete-transfers

NCAA site (story):   http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/new-transfer-rule-eliminates-permission-contact-process

I've felt for years that coaches wouldn't care so much about where a kid transfers, IF the NCAA and/or conferences would simply add this little rule:  the transfer is ineligible to ever play against his original school during the remainder of his career; even in conference tournament play.  The only exception would be the rare instance of meeting in NCAA postseason play.

With this rule, the school that loses the player actually gains an advantage if the kid happens to be really good (such as a Baker Mayfield).  Everyone else in the league would still have to deal with his talents, but you don't...seems like fair compensation, in my book.

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...