D-1 Men's Basketball Spending

Old Titan

1 hour ago, GoldenEagleFan said:

Pretty good to be the only school in the conference that makes money on basketball

Screen Shot 2018-06-12 at 2.06.45 PM.png

From the article:

"One thing you’ll notice: Many schools will report the same amount for revenues and expenses. Obviously they massage the numbers a bit to make it look like they’re not profiting. Take the specifics with a grain of salt and try to look at the bigger picture here."

The "bigger picture here", in ORU's case:  spending more money than practically everyone in the league with little to show for it.

You can thank the previous regime for doing a good job of tanking the program.  It will take time to turn the ship around.  Just my $0.02.

12 minutes ago, ORU82 said:

You can thank the previous regime for doing a good job of tanking the program.  It will take time to turn the ship around.  Just my $0.02.

And, I'm not looking to assign blame to this or previous regimes, knowing as little as I do about where the money was/is actually being spent.

Just sayin':  sumpin ain't right when you're spending more yet winning less...

Are they still spending on Sutton? He had time left on his contract correct? If they are reporting his contract pay then once that comes off the books it'll look better. 

On 6/12/2018 at 4:08 PM, Old Titan said:

And, I'm not looking to assign blame to this or previous regimes, knowing as little as I do about where the money was/is actually being spent.

Just sayin':  sumpin ain't right when you're spending more yet winning less...

I'd imagine a bulk of those expenses relate to the "Athletically Related Student Aid" (i.e. student scholarships). The data in the tweet is sourced from the U.S. Department of Education's "Equity in Athletics Data Analysis."

Not able to direct link to a specific school - but use this link: https://ope.ed.gov/athletics/#/ . Get Data for One School > Type "Oral Roberts" hit continue > select "Oral Roberts University" hit continue.

Here are some screen grabs from ORU's Revenues and Expenses tab:

image.thumb.png.4b4fe7a3832b210edc58df9848702033.png

image.thumb.png.398b5b43cb6f0a5c289b575af45d7a2a.png

image.thumb.png.b32d5dc1c9c587cd226425081ee0cf0b.png

image.thumb.png.6407dc8606df9bd827a2529e851d6898.png

• Thanks 2

Good catch - scholarships make up a good bit (all?) of the difference. 

I know that membership in the Golden Eagle Club (GEC) has went from a little over 200 to over 750 in just a couple of years.  A lot of our donations go to funding scholarships and I know that those $$$ have increased dramatically in the last couple of years.  It is good to see the above numbers.  It is also good to see that our revenue (from whatever source) exceeds our expenses.  I hope those funds continue to grow and we can pour even more money into our programs.  I am in the same camp as Oral when it comes to our sports teams.  I believe it is an excellent way into a lot of people's living rooms.  Go Golden Eagles!

A lot of those numbers from other schools look made up.  Fishy at a minimum. 

I know for a fact that it's VERY difficult to get an apples to apples comparison.  There is no accepted standard for reporting expenses or revenue.  The largest discrepancy is usually related to the way scholarship expenses are accounted for.  Some universities require the athletic department to fund all expenses and pay the bill just like these were regular students.  Others essentially credit or "forgive" tuition for athletes.