News
ORUalum

2018-19 Schedule

theeagleman5

OK OK....I knew those posts were probably out of line....just written in a frustrated moment....I am sure Dr. Wilson is a decent man and TheEagleman went too far...he's not a douche bag....and from your fine analysis TrueBlue, it's clear that Billy does care about ORU and ORU athletics....he just may have lacked some personal skills in the whole Sutton mess...but that's history and we move on...ORU is in good shape financially and enrollment wise....and TheEagleman is still hoping that 3-4 years from now, my grandson is the SS for ORU baseball....:nod:....yeah, I am not at all down on ORU and thanks for the insight into what's going on with the Alumni Board....if I have any issues in the future, Blue....I will come to you privately first....thanks for setting me straight!....I apologize to the board and Dr. Wilson....:y::eagles::y:

TrueBlue82

Well said, Eagleman.  I'm confident that we both have the same goal: to see ORU succeed and prosper, and for ORU Athletics to play a key role in that success!

ORUalum

Summit League WAC Challenge

It was announced today that the Western Athletic Conference and the Summit League will be competing in a challenge series at least for the 2018-19 and 2019-20 men’s basketball seasons.

The Western Athletic Conference comprised of nine member institutions (Chicago State, Missouri Kansas City, Texas Rio Grande Valley, New Mexico State, Grand Canyon, Utah Valley, Seattle, California State Bakersfield, and newly added member California Baptist). The Summit League also has nine member institutions (Fort Wayne, Western Illinois, South Dakota, South Dakota State, North Dakota State, Oral Roberts, Nebraska Omaha, Denver, and newly added North Dakota).

We were made aware of this challenge when Mark Rudi of the Las Cruces Sun News first reported that New Mexico State will host North Dakota State this upcoming season, and play at a Summit school in 2019-20. Subsequently Red Sea of Seattle U announced that Seattle will host Omaha.

https://happeninghoops.com/2018/05/18/summit-league-wac-challenge/

ORUParentLurker

Nice

EagleManiac

Perfect. Props to whoever got that set up.

ORUTerry

Makes a lot of sense. Mid and low major leagues should do more of this to ensure good home/away games. 

ORUalum

i probably should have just added this to the schedule discussion thread.......feel free to move Doc C or ORUTerry

ORU/UMKC would be nice ---- that was once a pretty good rivalry

-------

Denver at Utah Valley

Dr. Cornelius

Hope we get Grand Canyon or Seattle

Idig32

I like the idea of playing Grand Canyon. They are a Christian school so it could be a good rivalry. Also, it would be a great environment for our guys to play in if we got a road game. It would be a good draw if we got to host. 

theeagleman5

TheEagleman is kind of wondering why ORU isn't already playing Grand Canyon and Liberty on a regular basis....seems like those schools would be a great fit for us in a home/home deal.....and not just in basketball....:wait:

Idig32

Yeah, Liberty is definitely a good option as well. Especially given that ORU could probably beat them. However, I wonder if either school would want to commit to traveling that kind of distance every other year. 

theeagleman5

Not sure about ORU but Liberty has plenty of $$$....still, you would think that ORU could make a two game road trip maybe to play a guarantee game back east against an ACC foe then stop by and play Liberty....same thing for Grand Canyon.....I know, easier said than done......:nerd:

ORUParentLurker

Lynchburg, VA is not easy to get to but you have all of the Virginia and North Carolina schools within a 3 hour bus ride.

Dr. Cornelius

A series with Liberty makes a lot of sense.

I hope Grand Canyon is the matchup but TRGV is a lot more likely based on geography. Wouldn’t be too bad either... never hurts to play in TX.

Idig32

Very true. Just schedule a two or three game swing against some big south schools. It looks pretty easy to fly in to Richmond and take a bus to Lynchburg. Then, just take a bus down to Elon or Durham (to play North Carolina Central), and fly out of Raleigh-Durham Airport. Schedule home and homes and they come to us the next year. I know, easier said than done, but still looks practical. 

ORUalum

I have zero interest in ORU being associated in any way with Liberty or their political hack of a president Jerry Falwell Jr.

Say what you will about some of OR's theology (and I believe there is room for criticism), I'd argue the Fallwells have done more harm to the faith with their tying Christianity to a political party.  One thing OR got right was staying out of politics.

I hold Jerry Jr in very low regard........probably on par with Richard Roberts:D

theeagleman5

Well....this is getting interesting....Didn't Falwell Jr. just have democrat Jimmy Carter speaking at the Liberty graduation?.....now that's something  for which Jerry Jr. should have his head examined......:roll:....but I still like playing Liberty and some of the other Big South schools...that makes a lot of sense and would be competitive games for ORU.....:nerd:

ORUParentLurker

It's California Baptist, probably at home.  This will be their first year as a D1 program.

Idig32

I don't really mind the political thing when it comes to Christian colleges. I mean, liberal colleges do the same thing. Additionally, I think it is getting to the point where Christian colleges are going to have to take a stand on political issues whether they like it or not. It's quickly becoming a situation where staying neutral isn't an option. However, I agree with you that one must be careful about tying Christianity to a political viewpoint. That said, there are some issues today that some see as moral issues guided by Biblical principles that other people see as political issues that aren't covered in the Bible. Christian colleges (or their president) taking a stand on a issue that they feel is a Biblical principle is not a problem to me. It's actually commendable to me. 

All that said, I completely respect your opinion about not scheduling a game with a school because of a certain stance they take. Schools should have every right to not be seen as helping or supporting other colleges that they feel take a wrong stance. 

Overall, I think Liberty is a fine school that tries to promote the right things generally. I don't agree with some things they do, but I don't agree with everything ORU does either. I think a basketball series with Liberty would be a good match-up on the court and would create some interest among the fan bases too.  

Idig32
2 minutes ago, ORUParentLurker said:

It's California Baptist, probably at home.  This will be their first year as a D1 program.

That's kinda cool actually. Should be a winnable game. 

theeagleman5

Well said, IDIG32.....I can't disagree with any of the above....plus, TheEagleman would side more with Liberty and Falwell Jr. than with ORU and Billy Wilson. ....California Baptist?.....sounds like that could be a W for us.....:nerd:

Dr. Cornelius
1 hour ago, ORUalum said:

I have zero interest in ORU being associated in any way with Liberty or their political hack of a president Jerry Falwell Jr.

Say what you will about some of OR's theology (and I believe there is room for criticism), I'd argue the Fallwells have done more harm to the faith with their tying Christianity to a political party.  One thing OR got right was staying out of politics.

I hold Jerry Jr in very low regard........probably on par with Richard Roberts:D

I don't think playing Liberty in basketball would mean signing on to their goals as a university... If that were the case there's a very low chance ORU would be able to come up with enough opponents to even play 10 games.

They might be willing to play us straight up home and home and Liberty would be a pretty easy game.

-----------------------------------------------------

Not a fan of Fallwell at all though... their fan run athletic message board was forced to change it's name from "Flame Fans" to "A Sea of Red" because of a lawsuit threat that came from the President's office... :expressionless:

ORUParentLurker

My super secret spies have informed me that both SMU and TCU are on the schedule next season.  Both on the road but that's nice for all our Texas boys to get some games in their home state.  Unfortunately we'll be HEAVY underdogs in both.

ORU82

At least the Pentecostals will have the opportunity to kick the stuffing out of those Methodists and  Christians (as in TCU).  It will be the "God Squad" vs. those pesky mainline denominations.  Now if we can schedule Liberty, Notre Dame and BYU we can look to clean the clocks of the Baptists, Catholics and Mormans as well.  Sort of turn the year into a Holy Crusade or to borrow a word from the Muslin world, call it Holy Jihad.  Sorry if I offended anyone with my poor attempt at humor.  Lol

ORUParentLurker

If only the Jahova's Witnesses had a team.  I feel like we'd really put a whoopin on them :)