ORUalum

2018-19 Schedule

ORUalum

ORU returns the game w/Richmond from a few years ago....

Men’s basketball schedule tidbits

Old Dominion, Wake Forest and Oral Roberts are scheduled to play at the Robins Center next season, and the Spiders will visit Georgetown, with some work still to be done on the men's basketball schedule.

Richmond, according to a report, will participate in the Suncoast Classic (Florida site to be determined) along with Boston College, Wyoming and other schools to come.

....and as mentioned in another thread, ORU will be participating in Oakland's 4 team Thanksgiving tournament (Oakland, ORU, James Madison,  & N. Illinois)

ORUParentLurker

I heard a visit to Wichita is in the works.

Dr. Cornelius
5 minutes ago, ORUParentLurker said:

This would be the a great game to get for next year. WSU will have even more new players than we will.

ORUParentLurker

I saw that.  Crazy turnover up there. 

ORUalum
3 hours ago, ORUParentLurker said:

Torres signed w/WSU yesterday (also held an offer from ORU)

titansforever

Homecoming game: Southwestern College.

theeagleman5

Yikes!...|-).....TheEagleman will make SW an early 6.5 point favorite........:-P

ORUParentLurker

Is this the Southwestern College in Kansas? 

titansforever

I don't know. I just know "Southwestern College." Kansas sounds like a logical guess.

The date, by the way, is November 9 (Friday).

Edited by titansforever
added date of game

EagleManiac

Another thrilling Homecoming game. 

titansforever

Do I detect a tiny note of sarcasm? :smile: 

ORUParentLurker

I suspect it's hard to get legit competition to open their season in our house.

• Upvote 1

EagleManiac
1 hour ago, ORUParentLurker said:

I suspect it's hard to get legit competition to open their season in our house.

Agreed. It’s just a tough time to get anyone to agree to come play us. I’m not a huge fan of the Fall Semester Homcoming. 

titansforever

We moved Homecoming to the fall because alumni said February was too cold and weather was too iffy to travel. It's hard to find a date that isn't close to a holiday (Thanksgiving or Christmas or New Year's) or in the dead of winter. If the season started earlier (October) or lasted longer, we would have other options.

EagleManiac

Yea I remember the debate. I was on board at the time, but how has it worked out? Has our Homecoming attendance grown? The only homecoming event I’ve ever attended is the Homecoming Game, and since they’ve made the switch, the numbers have appeared far worse. I wonder if there’s discussion of switching back, or if fall Homecoming is in fact working out better. 

ORU82

I too attended several of the Homecomings when they were in January/February.  Since they moved to November I have not attended any and do not plan on attending any in the future.  I hate the "Homecoming Game" since it was moved to November and I think a lot of fellow alums feel the same way.  Sorry, but it is hard to get excited to attend Homecoming and get to see the Golden Eagles play some NAIA or D-II opponent.  

ORUTerry

The Alumni Association doesn't seem to care about the basketball game. I spoke with several people when this decision was made and they were indifferent about the game. In fact, they neglected to tell the Athletic Department and then could not understand why there was not a game scheduled when they got around to telling them in September. The first Fall homecoming did not have a basketball game....

EagleManiac
1 hour ago, ORUTerry said:

The Alumni Association doesn't seem to care about the basketball game. I spoke with several people when this decision was made and they were indifferent about the game. In fact, they neglected to tell the Athletic Department and then could not understand why there was not a game scheduled when they got around to telling them in September. The first Fall homecoming did not have a basketball game....

Crazy. The Homecoming athletic event is the staple of every homecoming across the country. I get that a low-major basketball game is probably not the exciting draw that an FBS football game is, but I would still argue that the Homecoming Game should be one of the major attractions for a homecoming, if not THE major attraction. 

School pride is definitely not a priority for the current administration. 

Dr. Cornelius

Southwestern College sound exactly like the type of team you want to be playing early in the year. Especially with so many new guys learning the system and their roles.

theeagleman5

Billy Wilson and his group of Yes Men/Women are bleep and the Alumni Association probably rubber stamps everything he wants....the man is out of touch with reality and clearly has no understanding or care for ORU traditions...he never attended ORU... And probably doesn't care about sports...Time for a change....but alas.....:puke:

EagleManiac
10 hours ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

Southwestern College sound exactly like the type of team you want to be playing early in the year. Especially with so many new guys learning the system and their roles.

Agreed. Not great for homecoming. But a perfect game for early in the season. 

ORUalum

Dr George Gillen is the one that lead the charge for moving Homecoming.  He had been campaigning the Alumni Board and ORU presidents for decades.   A few years of ice storms or snow storms that hit on homecoming and they finally relented. 

If we're honest, most alums don't care about the game, but care more about having decent, predictable weather to plan ahead to attend.

-----

Any confirmation the TU series will be renewed?  Haith certainly does not seem to embrace the game and it would seem like a natural fit for homecoming like it was a few years ago.  I bet he would prefer the series ended.

theeagleman5

End the TU series?....that really would be a disgrace....I know ending it wouldn't be ORU's doing but nothing would surprise TheEagleman when it comes to ORU basketball any more.....it's lost a lot of its' luster.....that being said....I am looking forward to the delivery in the next few days of my new ORU hat, golf shirt and t-shirt from the ORU bookstore....I almost always get comments from strangers when wearing my ORU gear.....hoping they will come out with a BILLY WILSON MUST GO t-shirt soon....:rolleyes:

TrueBlue82
On 5/4/2018 at 11:22 PM, theeagleman5 said:

Billy Wilson and his group of Yes Men/Women are Douche Bags and the Alumni Association probably rubber stamps everything he wants....the man is out of touch with reality and clearly has no understanding or care for ORU traditions...he never attended ORU... And probably doesn't care about sports...Time for a change....but alas.....:puke:

Eagleman - You often make big, brash statements just to create discussion, and this is generally good for the Board.  I also know you to be a rabid ORU fan who cares deeply about the Athletic program and that your heart is in the right place (and you're a REALLY good Summit League handicapper). :-D

This time, however, IMHO you went too far in: 1) denigrating an individual through inappropriate name calling which was undeserved (and outside the rules of "fair-play" of the Board) and 2) making assertions (of Alumni Association rubber stamp and Wilson not caring about ORU traditions or sports) which are completely unfounded.

So, let me add some context for you...

I currently serve on the ORU Alumni Association Board along with 24 others who care deeply about ORU's future.  We are not in ANY way a "rubber stamp" for Dr. Wilson.  In fact, we are frequently quite frustrated and disappointed with the decisions that he and his administration make and/or with how these decisions are executed.  But, we also understand that he must balance the views of many constituencies, including students, parents, faculty, administration, board of trustees, alumni, donors, community leaders, etc.  It is rare when all of these stakeholders are aligned on an issue, so he will often disappoint at least one of these groups.  All we ask as Alumni is that we have a VOICE in the discussion and decision process.  In years past, the Alumni voice was often overlooked, but our position has significantly improved in recent years.  As a sports-related example, when the basketball court was redone last fall, there was consideration to eliminate the "Expect a Miracle" phrase on the court.  The Alumni Board was asked for their vote, and the Board was virtually split in a dead-heat, but our specific comments were also forwarded on to the administration.  I was supportive of keeping the tradition, and was happy with the final decision, but more pleased that we had been asked to provide our input.  Overall, while it can always be better, the Board is pleased with the direction of the University during Dr. Wilson's tenure, in that:

• ORU has increased in enrollment every year, significantly beating the national average
  • The University embarked on the most ambitious capital campaign in the school's history, raising over $50 million for scholarships, campus maintenance, etc
  • Due to enrollment growth, ORU recently broken ground on a new dormitory, the first new living quarters on campus in over 40 years
  • In Athletics, ORU will host the Summit League Track and Field Championships this month due to its new state-of-the-art Track/Tennis facility on the east side of Lake Evelyn, and
  • J. L. Johnson was significantly upgraded with an astro turf infield surface and the basketball facilities at the Mabee Center were signifcantly renovated.
  • Best of all, ORU is out of debt, even with all of the new construction and upgraded facilities

As for his views on ORU Athletics, I attended graduation this past weekend, and had an opportunity to speak to Dr. Wilson for five minutes.  I specifically thanked him (on behalf of ORU fans outside of Tulsa) for the many basketball/baseball games broadcast on ESPN3, and for the high quality of the production.  I was about to mention to him that the ESPN3 coverage had played a huge role in ORU Baseball's amazing run on SportsCenter Top 10 (with three highlights last season, more than any other collegiate baseball program), but he brought it up first, and then mentioned how valuable that publicity is to ORU.  I have also heard him say how Oral's strategy of using Athletics as a recruitment tool for ORU was "brilliant" and that ORU's status as the only Spirit-empowered university with Division 1 Athletics clearly sets us apart from the competition. 

On 5/5/2018 at 9:39 AM, theeagleman5 said:

....hoping they will come out with a BILLY WILSON MUST GO t-shirt soon....:rolleyes:

I don't mind this statement at all - as this is your opinion, and you are entitled to it.  However, be careful what you wish for, as it could happen - and be far worse... 

• Upvote 2

ORU GRAD
5 hours ago, TrueBlue82 said:
  • ORU has increased in enrollment every year, significantly beating the national average
  • The University embarked on the most ambitious capital campaign in the school's history, raising over $50 million for scholarships, campus maintenance, etc
  • Due to enrollment growth, ORU recently broken ground on a new dormitory, the first new living quarters on campus in over 40 years
  • In Athletics, ORU will host the Summit League Track and Field Championships this month due to its new state-of-the-art Track/Tennis facility on the east side of Lake Evelyn, and
  • J. L. Johnson was significantly upgraded with an astro turf infield surface and the basketball facilities at the Mabee Center were signifcantly renovated.
  • Best of all, ORU is out of debt, even with all of the new construction and upgraded facilities

Thank you for your amazing analysis of where we are today. When I came here in the nineties, we were forty-nine plus million in debt and the City of Faith and the campus was in horrible condition and a burdensome drain on the University. However, the Grad School was a tremendous experience and the basketball program was coming back from NAIA status.  After my graduation and a new change in Leadership, we have canceled the debt and saw a tremendous change to the University as a whole. With the online program, we are at an all-time high and student enrollment has increased each year on campus. The two past /present  Presidents have been greatly appreciated and even though they were and are not perfect, we are far more financially stable as an institution of higher learning. With the Sutton's came stability and endurance through the hard times of change and now with the new coaching staff, we are anticipating a better product on the floor this next year. President Wilson is working hard to bring about a good result by reaching out to other countries to bring ORU to the nations. We are a blessed University and I for one am proud of my inheritance to be a part of this University.  

• Upvote 1