2018-19 Schedule

ORUalum

Not sure about ORU but Liberty has plenty of $$$....still, you would think that ORU could make a two game road trip maybe to play a guarantee game back east against an ACC foe then stop by and play Liberty....same thing for Grand Canyon.....I know, easier said than done......:nerd:

Lynchburg, VA is not easy to get to but you have all of the Virginia and North Carolina schools within a 3 hour bus ride.

A series with Liberty makes a lot of sense.

I hope Grand Canyon is the matchup but TRGV is a lot more likely based on geography. Wouldn’t be too bad either... never hurts to play in TX.

Very true. Just schedule a two or three game swing against some big south schools. It looks pretty easy to fly in to Richmond and take a bus to Lynchburg. Then, just take a bus down to Elon or Durham (to play North Carolina Central), and fly out of Raleigh-Durham Airport. Schedule home and homes and they come to us the next year. I know, easier said than done, but still looks practical. 

I have zero interest in ORU being associated in any way with Liberty or their political hack of a president Jerry Falwell Jr.

Say what you will about some of OR's theology (and I believe there is room for criticism), I'd argue the Fallwells have done more harm to the faith with their tying Christianity to a political party.  One thing OR got right was staying out of politics.

I hold Jerry Jr in very low regard........probably on par with Richard Roberts:D

Well....this is getting interesting....Didn't Falwell Jr. just have democrat Jimmy Carter speaking at the Liberty graduation?.....now that's something  for which Jerry Jr. should have his head examined......:roll:....but I still like playing Liberty and some of the other Big South schools...that makes a lot of sense and would be competitive games for ORU.....:nerd:

It's California Baptist, probably at home.  This will be their first year as a D1 program.

I don't really mind the political thing when it comes to Christian colleges. I mean, liberal colleges do the same thing. Additionally, I think it is getting to the point where Christian colleges are going to have to take a stand on political issues whether they like it or not. It's quickly becoming a situation where staying neutral isn't an option. However, I agree with you that one must be careful about tying Christianity to a political viewpoint. That said, there are some issues today that some see as moral issues guided by Biblical principles that other people see as political issues that aren't covered in the Bible. Christian colleges (or their president) taking a stand on a issue that they feel is a Biblical principle is not a problem to me. It's actually commendable to me. 

All that said, I completely respect your opinion about not scheduling a game with a school because of a certain stance they take. Schools should have every right to not be seen as helping or supporting other colleges that they feel take a wrong stance. 

Overall, I think Liberty is a fine school that tries to promote the right things generally. I don't agree with some things they do, but I don't agree with everything ORU does either. I think a basketball series with Liberty would be a good match-up on the court and would create some interest among the fan bases too.  

2 minutes ago, ORUParentLurker said:

It's California Baptist, probably at home.  This will be their first year as a D1 program.

That's kinda cool actually. Should be a winnable game. 

Well said, IDIG32.....I can't disagree with any of the above....plus, TheEagleman would side more with Liberty and Falwell Jr. than with ORU and Billy Wilson. ....California Baptist?.....sounds like that could be a W for us.....:nerd:

1 hour ago, ORUalum said:

I have zero interest in ORU being associated in any way with Liberty or their political hack of a president Jerry Falwell Jr.

Say what you will about some of OR's theology (and I believe there is room for criticism), I'd argue the Fallwells have done more harm to the faith with their tying Christianity to a political party.  One thing OR got right was staying out of politics.

I hold Jerry Jr in very low regard........probably on par with Richard Roberts:D

I don't think playing Liberty in basketball would mean signing on to their goals as a university... If that were the case there's a very low chance ORU would be able to come up with enough opponents to even play 10 games.

They might be willing to play us straight up home and home and Liberty would be a pretty easy game.

-----------------------------------------------------

Not a fan of Fallwell at all though... their fan run athletic message board was forced to change it's name from "Flame Fans" to "A Sea of Red" because of a lawsuit threat that came from the President's office... :expressionless:

• 3 weeks later...

My super secret spies have informed me that both SMU and TCU are on the schedule next season.  Both on the road but that's nice for all our Texas boys to get some games in their home state.  Unfortunately we'll be HEAVY underdogs in both.

At least the Pentecostals will have the opportunity to kick the stuffing out of those Methodists and  Christians (as in TCU).  It will be the "God Squad" vs. those pesky mainline denominations.  Now if we can schedule Liberty, Notre Dame and BYU we can look to clean the clocks of the Baptists, Catholics and Mormans as well.  Sort of turn the year into a Holy Crusade or to borrow a word from the Muslin world, call it Holy Jihad.  Sorry if I offended anyone with my poor attempt at humor.  Lol

If only the Jahova's Witnesses had a team.  I feel like we'd really put a whoopin on them :)

53 minutes ago, ORU82 said:

At least the Pentecostals will have the opportunity to kick the stuffing out of those Methodists and  Christians (as in TCU).  It will be the "God Squad" vs. those pesky mainline denominations.  Now if we can schedule Liberty, Notre Dame and BYU we can look to clean the clocks of the Baptists, Catholics and Mormans as well.  Sort of turn the year into a Holy Crusade or to borrow a word from the Muslin world, call it Holy Jihad.  Sorry if I offended anyone with my poor attempt at humor.  Lol

I think ORU played in a holiday tournament with Seton Hall, BYU, & Liberty around 10 years ago or so.

On 6/12/2018 at 5:15 PM, ORUParentLurker said:

If only the Jahova's Witnesses had a team.  I feel like we'd really put a whoopin on them :)

Lol 😂 

I like that. Amother quality game with a big dance team. I’m sure FGCU wants payback. Should be a good matchup.