2018-19 Schedule

ORUalum

Southwestern College sound exactly like the type of team you want to be playing early in the year. Especially with so many new guys learning the system and their roles.

Billy Wilson and his group of Yes Men/Women are bleep and the Alumni Association probably rubber stamps everything he wants....the man is out of touch with reality and clearly has no understanding or care for ORU traditions...he never attended ORU... And probably doesn't care about sports...Time for a change....but alas.....:puke:

10 hours ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

Southwestern College sound exactly like the type of team you want to be playing early in the year. Especially with so many new guys learning the system and their roles.

Agreed. Not great for homecoming. But a perfect game for early in the season. 

Dr George Gillen is the one that lead the charge for moving Homecoming.  He had been campaigning the Alumni Board and ORU presidents for decades.   A few years of ice storms or snow storms that hit on homecoming and they finally relented. 

If we're honest, most alums don't care about the game, but care more about having decent, predictable weather to plan ahead to attend.

-----

Any confirmation the TU series will be renewed?  Haith certainly does not seem to embrace the game and it would seem like a natural fit for homecoming like it was a few years ago.  I bet he would prefer the series ended.

End the TU series?....that really would be a disgrace....I know ending it wouldn't be ORU's doing but nothing would surprise TheEagleman when it comes to ORU basketball any more.....it's lost a lot of its' luster.....that being said....I am looking forward to the delivery in the next few days of my new ORU hat, golf shirt and t-shirt from the ORU bookstore....I almost always get comments from strangers when wearing my ORU gear.....hoping they will come out with a BILLY WILSON MUST GO t-shirt soon....:rolleyes:

On 5/4/2018 at 11:22 PM, theeagleman5 said:

Billy Wilson and his group of Yes Men/Women are Douche Bags and the Alumni Association probably rubber stamps everything he wants....the man is out of touch with reality and clearly has no understanding or care for ORU traditions...he never attended ORU... And probably doesn't care about sports...Time for a change....but alas.....:puke:

Eagleman - You often make big, brash statements just to create discussion, and this is generally good for the Board.  I also know you to be a rabid ORU fan who cares deeply about the Athletic program and that your heart is in the right place (and you're a REALLY good Summit League handicapper). :-D

This time, however, IMHO you went too far in: 1) denigrating an individual through inappropriate name calling which was undeserved (and outside the rules of "fair-play" of the Board) and 2) making assertions (of Alumni Association rubber stamp and Wilson not caring about ORU traditions or sports) which are completely unfounded.

So, let me add some context for you...

I currently serve on the ORU Alumni Association Board along with 24 others who care deeply about ORU's future.  We are not in ANY way a "rubber stamp" for Dr. Wilson.  In fact, we are frequently quite frustrated and disappointed with the decisions that he and his administration make and/or with how these decisions are executed.  But, we also understand that he must balance the views of many constituencies, including students, parents, faculty, administration, board of trustees, alumni, donors, community leaders, etc.  It is rare when all of these stakeholders are aligned on an issue, so he will often disappoint at least one of these groups.  All we ask as Alumni is that we have a VOICE in the discussion and decision process.  In years past, the Alumni voice was often overlooked, but our position has significantly improved in recent years.  As a sports-related example, when the basketball court was redone last fall, there was consideration to eliminate the "Expect a Miracle" phrase on the court.  The Alumni Board was asked for their vote, and the Board was virtually split in a dead-heat, but our specific comments were also forwarded on to the administration.  I was supportive of keeping the tradition, and was happy with the final decision, but more pleased that we had been asked to provide our input.  Overall, while it can always be better, the Board is pleased with the direction of the University during Dr. Wilson's tenure, in that:

• ORU has increased in enrollment every year, significantly beating the national average
  • The University embarked on the most ambitious capital campaign in the school's history, raising over $50 million for scholarships, campus maintenance, etc
  • Due to enrollment growth, ORU recently broken ground on a new dormitory, the first new living quarters on campus in over 40 years
  • In Athletics, ORU will host the Summit League Track and Field Championships this month due to its new state-of-the-art Track/Tennis facility on the east side of Lake Evelyn, and
  • J. L. Johnson was significantly upgraded with an astro turf infield surface and the basketball facilities at the Mabee Center were signifcantly renovated.
  • Best of all, ORU is out of debt, even with all of the new construction and upgraded facilities

As for his views on ORU Athletics, I attended graduation this past weekend, and had an opportunity to speak to Dr. Wilson for five minutes.  I specifically thanked him (on behalf of ORU fans outside of Tulsa) for the many basketball/baseball games broadcast on ESPN3, and for the high quality of the production.  I was about to mention to him that the ESPN3 coverage had played a huge role in ORU Baseball's amazing run on SportsCenter Top 10 (with three highlights last season, more than any other collegiate baseball program), but he brought it up first, and then mentioned how valuable that publicity is to ORU.  I have also heard him say how Oral's strategy of using Athletics as a recruitment tool for ORU was "brilliant" and that ORU's status as the only Spirit-empowered university with Division 1 Athletics clearly sets us apart from the competition. 

On 5/5/2018 at 9:39 AM, theeagleman5 said:

....hoping they will come out with a BILLY WILSON MUST GO t-shirt soon....:rolleyes:

I don't mind this statement at all - as this is your opinion, and you are entitled to it.  However, be careful what you wish for, as it could happen - and be far worse... 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, TrueBlue82 said:
  • ORU has increased in enrollment every year, significantly beating the national average
  • The University embarked on the most ambitious capital campaign in the school's history, raising over $50 million for scholarships, campus maintenance, etc
  • Due to enrollment growth, ORU recently broken ground on a new dormitory, the first new living quarters on campus in over 40 years
  • In Athletics, ORU will host the Summit League Track and Field Championships this month due to its new state-of-the-art Track/Tennis facility on the east side of Lake Evelyn, and
  • J. L. Johnson was significantly upgraded with an astro turf infield surface and the basketball facilities at the Mabee Center were signifcantly renovated.
  • Best of all, ORU is out of debt, even with all of the new construction and upgraded facilities

Thank you for your amazing analysis of where we are today. When I came here in the nineties, we were forty-nine plus million in debt and the City of Faith and the campus was in horrible condition and a burdensome drain on the University. However, the Grad School was a tremendous experience and the basketball program was coming back from NAIA status.  After my graduation and a new change in Leadership, we have canceled the debt and saw a tremendous change to the University as a whole. With the online program, we are at an all-time high and student enrollment has increased each year on campus. The two past /present  Presidents have been greatly appreciated and even though they were and are not perfect, we are far more financially stable as an institution of higher learning. With the Sutton's came stability and endurance through the hard times of change and now with the new coaching staff, we are anticipating a better product on the floor this next year. President Wilson is working hard to bring about a good result by reaching out to other countries to bring ORU to the nations. We are a blessed University and I for one am proud of my inheritance to be a part of this University.  

• Upvote 1

OK OK....I knew those posts were probably out of line....just written in a frustrated moment....I am sure Dr. Wilson is a decent man and TheEagleman went too far...he's not a douche bag....and from your fine analysis TrueBlue, it's clear that Billy does care about ORU and ORU athletics....he just may have lacked some personal skills in the whole Sutton mess...but that's history and we move on...ORU is in good shape financially and enrollment wise....and TheEagleman is still hoping that 3-4 years from now, my grandson is the SS for ORU baseball....:nod:....yeah, I am not at all down on ORU and thanks for the insight into what's going on with the Alumni Board....if I have any issues in the future, Blue....I will come to you privately first....thanks for setting me straight!....I apologize to the board and Dr. Wilson....:y::eagles::y:

Well said, Eagleman.  I'm confident that we both have the same goal: to see ORU succeed and prosper, and for ORU Athletics to play a key role in that success!

• 2 weeks later...

Summit League WAC Challenge

It was announced today that the Western Athletic Conference and the Summit League will be competing in a challenge series at least for the 2018-19 and 2019-20 men’s basketball seasons.

The Western Athletic Conference comprised of nine member institutions (Chicago State, Missouri Kansas City, Texas Rio Grande Valley, New Mexico State, Grand Canyon, Utah Valley, Seattle, California State Bakersfield, and newly added member California Baptist). The Summit League also has nine member institutions (Fort Wayne, Western Illinois, South Dakota, South Dakota State, North Dakota State, Oral Roberts, Nebraska Omaha, Denver, and newly added North Dakota).

We were made aware of this challenge when Mark Rudi of the Las Cruces Sun News first reported that New Mexico State will host North Dakota State this upcoming season, and play at a Summit school in 2019-20. Subsequently Red Sea of Seattle U announced that Seattle will host Omaha.

https://happeninghoops.com/2018/05/18/summit-league-wac-challenge/

Makes a lot of sense. Mid and low major leagues should do more of this to ensure good home/away games. 

i probably should have just added this to the schedule discussion thread.......feel free to move Doc C or ORUTerry

ORU/UMKC would be nice ---- that was once a pretty good rivalry

-------

Denver at Utah Valley

Hope we get Grand Canyon or Seattle

I like the idea of playing Grand Canyon. They are a Christian school so it could be a good rivalry. Also, it would be a great environment for our guys to play in if we got a road game. It would be a good draw if we got to host. 

TheEagleman is kind of wondering why ORU isn't already playing Grand Canyon and Liberty on a regular basis....seems like those schools would be a great fit for us in a home/home deal.....and not just in basketball....:wait:

Yeah, Liberty is definitely a good option as well. Especially given that ORU could probably beat them. However, I wonder if either school would want to commit to traveling that kind of distance every other year.