Oklahoma State at ORU

theeagleman5

Big game tonight at JLJ as the 12th ranked Pokes come to town looking for a little revenge....hopefully a nice  night for baseball and this game should tell us a lot about ORU's chances vs. top competition in the NCAA Tournament next month.  Anybody going to the game?....TheEagleman will expect a full report although I will try to watch some of it on line.....We are now into May and so far, ORU has shown very good consistent pitching but our bats have been anything but.....take last weekend for example...we get 19 runs in the opening game against what I assume was WIU's top starter....then we can only get 3 runs each on Saturday and Sunday vs. one of the worst teams in the Summit....at this point, ORU has still to prove that we can hit against top flight pitching....we still have non league games with Wichita State and Purdue coming up and with 3 weeks to go before the Summit playoffs it's fairly safe to say that ORU should get the #1 seed and be set up for another NCAA appearance in early June.....but we are surely going to be a mid to low 4 seed and could draw a National Seed in the opening game.....B)

Riley Keizor just became my favorite player.:sunglasses:

Anybody listening? What just happened at the plate? 

TheEagleman didn't get to see or listen to the game but just saw that ORU hung on to beat OSU 6-5....must have been a classic at JLJ tonight.....the Good Guys jumping out to a first inning 5-0 lead which included a HR by Nick Roark...some good early pitching by Taylor Varnell but the bullpen almost blew it until Stout came in and got the final outs.....looks like we threw out the tying run in the 9th at the plate....maybe somebody can get that replay....ORU now 27-15 on the season and now up to NDSU for a weekend series with the Bison.....:eagles:

12 minutes ago, EagleManiac said:

Anybody listening? What just happened at the plate? 

according to the radio broadcast, the umps were reviewing the play at the plate from the TV broadcast.

Adam speculated the concern was either a malicious slide by the OSU player or blocking the plate by Keizor --- baseball is trying to legislate out big collisions at the plate.

in the post game, Folmar said Keizor "got his bell rung" and was removed from the game in an abundance of caution

• Upvote 1

I left the game early, but telephoned OT (who stayed until the end) and he said Keizor was called for interference initially - allowing the run to score. The ref reversed the call after reviewing it on TV. The runner must have gone out of his way to deck Reizor. (OT said Reizor looked to be knocked out cold.) The OSU bench went nuts. Their players did not shake hands with the ORU players. 

Pistols (mis)firing

I'll be interested in seeing the replay.  From Adam's call, Keizor caught the ball in front of the plate, and then slid into the basepath with the ball, which is completely legal (from my understanding, at least) to tag the runner.  Since the "can't block the plate" rule is still quite new, it is often misunderstood. 

Great win for ORU, now 9-1 against OSU over the last four seasons.  Hopefully, they'll continue to schedule us...

Thanks for the clarification you guys. From my seat, it looked like the ball was easily in time and Keizor was waiting for the runner (in the basepath). I wish there had been some clarification from the umpire. Everyone around me was very confused. Hopefully somebody can post the replay here, and maybe the call by Adam? Not sure if either are available, but I’d love to hear/see what happened again. 

The game as a whole was great! Good crowd, great atmosphere, big win. Cowboys haven’t won at J.L. Johnson since ‘95. Pretty impressive for li’l ol’ ORU. Impressive fireworks as well, though I was a bit shocked at how loud they were so late on a Tuesday. I’m sure somebody will be fielding plenty of calls from angry neighbors tomorrow morning. :tears-of-joy:

I watched the game on ESPN+ and as a side note would love to again thank the ORU Athletic Department for putting the games on TV.  It is great to watch these games being 1,000 miles away from Tulsa.

As for the play in question, the throw to home was fantastic and Keizor clearly got the ball well before the OSU runner made it to home plate.  As a matter of fact, Keizor never dropped the ball and therefore the OSU runner was called out by the Umpire from the start.  Immediately thereafter, and because Keizor was on the ground and not moving, the Umpire then called timeout.  Then the long review by two of the officials watching the video replay was to determine whether or not the hit on Keizor by the OSU runner was either malicious or intentional.  

That is how it played out on TV and was reviewed by the broadcast team several times including slow motion.  It was a great play and Keizor really sacrificed himself to make the play.

Nice win Golden Eagles although our pitching in the 7th gave me serious concerns.  In the end we held on and won.  Again, watching the game on ESPN+ it appeared to be a good and loud crowd, beautiful night for a game at JLJ and it clearly came across that this is a serious rivalry with no love loss between ORU and OSU fans.  Finally, congrats to the Good Guys for keeping the win streak over OSU at JLJ going.  The broadcast team pointed out that the last time OSU won in JLJ was 1995!

• Upvote 1

So Glad that ORU got the win in this intense battle....great experience for the post season....and OSU wouldn't shake hands with us after the game?....Bleep 'em.....:*

42 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

So Glad that ORU got the win in this intense battle....great experience for the post season....and OSU wouldn't shake hands with us after the game?....Bleep 'em.....:*

:smiling-open-mouth-smiling-eyes:

Don't really expect anything less from a Holliday coached team. Wouldn't be surprised if the "pokes" start ducking ORU because they can't win.

Is former ORU Coach Walton still on the OSU staff?....:!:

Not shaking hands is an OSU tradition (?) started by former head coach Gary Ward and his assistant Tom Holliday back in the '80's.  It coincided with their "bad boy" image they embraced in those days -  according to Ward, they "weren't out there to make friends".  Current OSU head coach Josh Holliday is Tom Holliday's son (and assistant Rob Walton pitched for Tom Holliday) and is real big on bringing back the old traditions of those World Series teams.  Hence, the no-handshake policy - with ANY team.  The coaching staffs DID shake hands at home plate, and there was even some conversation, probably inquiring about Keizor's status.

As for the blocking the plate question:  as you can see in ORUAlum's video from Cowboy Baseball, when the collision first occurred and Keizor goes down like a sack of potatoes, the home plate umpire NEITHER signals "out" (clinched fist) NOR "run scored" (pointing at the plate).  He doesn't just stand there waiting to make a call, either (as sometimes happens when the ball rolls away or the runner never touches the plate, keeping it a "live ball" situation).  He immediately holds his hands UP and throws them out repeatedly, which in my book means "dead ball" or "time" (not "safe").  He them looks out to check where the batter is on bases (either second or third base).  That gave me the appearance that he was calling the catcher for blocking the plate, and that the play was "dead". 

But all three umpires then huddled and went to the replay screen down the first base line (which was right beneath my feet as I slummed in ORUTerry's box seats).  Their conversation while watching the replay was all about the blocking the plate rule and the proper interpretation in this particular case.  After 10-15 minutes, they signaled the runner "out", which I suppose technically is not a "reversal" since in hindsight HE NEVER MADE A CALL TO BEGIN WITH.  The OSU bench was as incensed about the batter having to stay at second base as they were about the call at the plate, but I think the home plate umpire ruled that the batter was not at third yet when the collision occurred and time was called. 

Here's a link to the NCAA rule, which has been tweaked quite a bit in recent seasons:  https://ncaabaseball.arbitersports.com/Groups/105039/Library/files/Feb2018_MBA_Interpretation_Plays_At_Plate_20180205.pdf

Keizor did in fact appear to be within the rule, since he fielded the ball before the collision.

Very big - and very strange - call!

Does anyone know why the game was behind a paywall on ESPN+?  I’m accustomed to getting games for free on WatchESPN. I didn't bother to pay last night because I was comitted to finding the area of polygons and quadrilaterals with my 12 yo.

I did enjoy getting a text in the first inning from my HS buddy who is a proud OSU grad. It simply said “Dang.”

Just now, Otis 83 said:

Does anyone know why the game was behind a paywall on ESPN+?  I’m accustomed to getting games for free on WatchESPN. I didn't bother to pay last night because I was comitted to finding the area of polygons and quadrilaterals with my 12 yo.

I did enjoy getting a text in the first inning from my HS buddy who is a proud OSU grad. It simply said “Dang.”

Meet "the new normal":

https://techcrunch.com/2018/04/02/espns-streaming-service-espn-to-launch-april-12/