News
Sign in to follow this  
ORUParentLurker

Should we anticipate staff changes?

#1ORUFAN
11 hours ago, Old Titan said:

Awaiting the KoolAid crowd’s positive spin on yet another men’s basketball departure in three...two...one...  :shock:

And suddenly a new contender!

#1ORUFAN

EFEA9BDC-00C1-4BEA-B7C8-5D8536A0308E.thumb.jpeg.9d5193cbe8d84e7156ed1c90b4a92434.jpeg

WingMaaaan

Should we expect a head coaching change too? 

ORUParentLurker

Some see a dumpster on fire and consider it half empty.  I prefer to see it as half full.

• Haha 1

ORUalum

theeagleman5

Sounds like Coach Mills is going nowhere and new Asst. Coach Russ Springmann is a nice hire....Spent many years at UT in Austin  and he has been with the Thunder over the past year...any chance he can bring Russell Westbrook with him???...:oru-logo:

ORUalum

ORUTerry

theeagleman5

Talvin who???....8)

ORUTerry

Biographical information from the Texas web site (worked for Rick Barnes for 14 years):   https://texassports.com/coaches.aspx?rc=113&path=mbball

Moved to the University of San Diego in 2015 :       http://www.usdtoreros.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/russell_springmann_964590.html

Has been a scout for the OKC Thunder for about a year or so

ORU GRAD

On 5/10/2018 at 2:50 PM, ORUParentLurker said:

Some see a dumpster on fire and consider it half empty.  I prefer to see it as half full.

Burn, Baby Burn.!!! Bring on November! I like what I am seeing. I also like what Mills and company are doing this year in spite of a few bumps in the road. Like I have said in the past. Time has a way of telling. There are some big-name recruits by our new Assistant Coach Russell Springmann. Congrats Coach Mills.

Springmann was watching his most famous recruit, Kevin Durant, play with the Oklahoma City Thunder one day shortly after his wife was pregnant. "I said I really like the name Durant," Springmann said. "And she jumped on board and never got off."

But Springmann, who was the one who recruited Durant to Texas, wanted to make sure he cleared it through the proper channels first. He called Durant’s parents and then made sure Kevin was alright with it, also. "They were cool with it," Springmann said. "And so was Kevin. We figured we couldn’t name our son after anyone better. Kevin’s everything we’d want our son to be."

It's no surprise, then, that those closest to Durant during his brilliant one-year stop at Texas apparently agree. Today's proof comes via Jeff Goodman, who found out that Texas assistant coach Russell Springmann decided to honor the former Texas star by naming his son -- yes -- Durant Springmann:

Eamonn BrennanESPN Staff Writer

Old Titan

https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/995011294616047616https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/995011294616047616

Have to admit it's a sexy hire; appears to be raising a few eyebrows nationally.

But, in terms of any short-range impact on the court, it's a non-starter:  everything about this guy's resume says he's a talent scout, not an X's and O's guy.

"Trust The Process!"  (...and hunker down for another season of "learning experiences" - LOL)

GoldenEagleFan

Lol I was wondering how the haters would spin this... 

Cue the haters’ negative spin in three... two.... one.... 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Old Titan
6 minutes ago, GoldenEagleFan said:

Lol I was wondering how the haters would spin this... 

Cue the haters’ negative spin in three... two.... one.... 

You're right:  losing two upper-class letterwinners to transfer, along with significant turnover within the assistant coaching staff, can only be viewed as positive developments.

I mean, this is what "winning" looks like, right??

I anticipate the resulting payoff in victories this season with great eagerness!

Old Titan

Brought to you 100% free of any additional negativity, snarkiness, or general all-around grumpy-old-manishness!

ORUalum
1 hour ago, theeagleman5 said:

Talvin who???....8)

Don't sleep on Hester.......Obanor and Weaver were both Houston area kids that were probably his recruits.  He probably also had a hand in  landing the high scoring JUCO out of South Central.

I still think the arrow is pointed up for ORU hoops.  The stagnation of the last 5 or so years of the Sutton era is over.

Biggest recruiting goal of the coming season......convincing Eman to hang around after next season........i'm sure the P5 schools will come calling assuming he is on track to graduate after 3.5 yrs on campus.

• Upvote 2

Idig32

I love the hire of Springmann! Hester was an okay hire initially, but if I remember correctly, some on here said he was a castoff of Kelvin Sampson's staff? Meaning, he only came to ORU because he knew he wasn't going to be retained at Houston? Am I remembering right? Anyways, I always assumed Patterson was recruiting a lot of the Texas guys, but I don't know. Regardless, while I am sure that Hester is a great person and coach, Springmann seems like an upgrade in terms of perception by recruits. I mean, he worked for the same team that has Russell Westbrook and he recruited and coached Kevin Durant. The only question I have is when is he going to bring KD in for some workouts with the team? ;)

ORUParentLurker
22 minutes ago, ORUalum said:

Don't sleep on Hester.......Obanor and Weaver were both Houston area kids that were probably his recruits.  He probably also had a hand in  landing the high scoring JUCO out of South Central.

I still think the arrow is pointed up for ORU hoops.  The stagnation of the last 5 or so years of the Sutton era is over.

Biggest recruiting goal of the coming season......convincing Eman to hang around after next season........i'm sure the P5 schools will come calling assuming he is on track to graduate after 3.5 yrs on campus.

I disagree. The number one goal is to not care what Eman does just in case he doesn't improve.  Every player should expect to earn PT and not have it bequeathed to them.

GoldenEagleFan
8 hours ago, Old Titan said:

You're right:  losing two upper-class letterwinners to transfer, along with significant turnover within the assistant coaching staff, can only be viewed as positive developments.

I mean, this is what "winning" looks like, right??

I anticipate the resulting payoff in victories this season with great eagerness!

I think I read that the only program to not have a player transfer in the last five years is UNC.... out of 351 programs!!

I believe the important part of roster management in Division 1 MBB is expecting some early departures (transfers and/or early entry NBA) and having replacements in your back pocket.

I am not concerned about transfers after year 1 of a new coaching staff. The inherited roster didn’t choose this staff, and this staff didn’t recruit the inherited roster. The fact that both Jontray and Javan earned their degree, therefore not affecting the APR, makes me even less concerned.

• Upvote 3

WingMaaaan
On 5/11/2018 at 4:21 PM, ORUalum said:

Old Titan
On 5/11/2018 at 8:46 PM, GoldenEagleFan said:

I believe the important part of roster management in Division 1 MBB is expecting some early departures (transfers and/or early entry NBA) and having replacements in your back pocket.

That's pretty funny.

I'm sure there are plenty of low-major programs around the country who have Division-1 starter-quality players "in their back pocket" just waiting for their chance to shine.

For the record:  if your low-major program loses two of its returning statistical leaders to transfer, you're doing it wrong.

Dr. Cornelius
16 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

That's pretty funny.

I'm sure there are plenty of low-major programs around the country who have Division-1 starter-quality players "in their back pocket" just waiting for their chance to shine.

For the record:  if your low-major program loses two of its returning statistical leaders to transfer, you're doing it wrong.

Which is why Sutton was fired. Sutton ran the program completely into the ground.

It’s going to take more than one season to turn it around and Mills hasn’t even had a full recruiting class it yet.

• Upvote 2

Idig32
2 hours ago, Old Titan said:

That's pretty funny.

I can't agree with this. There are just too many factors that go into players deciding to transfer from low-majors. Sometimes, players get opportunities to move on to better programs, sometimes, they're unhappy, and yes, sometimes the coach is doing something wrong. However, I don't think that's the case here. There's too many positive developments around the program for me to believe that. Instead I see two transfers who were good players, but who had already graduated, move on to what they perceive as better situations. I don't think either of them transfer if they hadn't graduated, but props to them for getting it done. 

Additionally, I look around college basketball and just down the road OU had Jordan Shepherd, their presumed starting point guard next year, transfer. They also had some other good players like Kameron McGusty transfer. Some transfers just don't make sense. It doesn't mean Lon Kruger is doing anything wrong. In fact, one could say that he actually wanted some of those guys to transfer.

Either way, transfers are hardly a sign that you're doing something wrong in your program. There are many explanations for transfers in today's college basketball world. I think ORU Basketball is in good hands and I can't wait for next season! 

• Upvote 1

Old Titan
3 hours ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

Which is why Sutton was fired. Sutton ran the program completely into the ground.

It’s going to take more than one season to turn it around and Mills hasn’t even had a full recruiting class it yet.

24 minutes ago, Idig32 said:

I can't agree with this. There are just too many factors that go into players deciding to transfer from low-majors. Sometimes, players get opportunities to move on to better programs, sometimes, they're unhappy, and yes, sometimes the coach is doing something wrong. However, I don't think that's the case here. There's too many positive developments around the program for me to believe that. Instead I see two transfers who were good players, but who had already graduated, move on to what they perceive as better situations. I don't think either of them transfer if they hadn't graduated, but props to them for getting it done. 

Additionally, I look around college basketball and just down the road OU had Jordan Shepherd, their presumed starting point guard next year, transfer. They also had some other good players like Kameron McGusty transfer. Some transfers just don't make sense. It doesn't mean Lon Kruger is doing anything wrong. In fact, one could say that he actually wanted some of those guys to transfer.

Either way, transfers are hardly a sign that you're doing something wrong in your program. There are many explanations for transfers in today's college basketball world. I think ORU Basketball is in good hands and I can't wait for next season! 

OU was a dumpster fire in the second half last season; ORU finished on a low note as well. 

Both teams looked like they had lost their identity in March, which kinda makes my point:  good players who feel they could be part of something special the next season don't typically leave programs on the upswing - at any level. 

And, while Power 5's can perhaps reload when they lose players unexpectedly, low-majors really can't, which makes keeping good returnees of paramount concern for schools like ORU.

Hey, I'm not saying this thing can't be turned around.  I'm just find it difficult to take positives out of player defections and coaching staff turnover, that's all.  And I'm frankly confused that the tea leaves read so oppositely for some others.

I guess we'll find out in the coming season(s)! :mountain-sunset::thumbs-up-2::clap-2: etc.

GoldenEagleFan
35 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

And, while Power 5's can perhaps reload when they lose players unexpectedly, low-majors really can't, which makes keeping good returnees of paramount concern for schools like ORU.

I agree with this, Old Titan, to an extent. I think there are more players in the world that can come in and contribute right away at a mid to low major than at a high major. So it actually would be easier to have a player “in your back pocket” for this level rather than for a higher level, in my opinion. 

The other thing that you are failing to mention is these players that transferred, along with Coach Perry who moved along, did not choose Coach Mills when they chose ORU. No matter HOW the season went, I believe any rational fan or observer would understand having multiple players leave the year after a new coach took a job is not cause for concern.  Especially when the time the new coach took the job, it was basically too late in the year to transfer or look elsewhere. 

• Upvote 1