Should we anticipate staff changes?

ORUParentLurker

True OT, but I think Coach Mills has a grasp of that. His recent mining of European talent seems to be evidence of this. Whether these players pan out or not, it is at least an attempt to try to find players that can contribute where other programs might not be looking or have access. At least, that's the way it looks to me. However, I do think the ultimate success of this coaching staff will depend on whether or not they can develop talent. Mid/Low-Major teams that have success come tournament time always seem to have a few seniors that have developed over their careers. Some may have a freshman or a sophomore that bigger teams overlooked, but a lot of times they're starting juniors and seniors and bringing sophomores and freshmen off the bench. I'm hopeful about the future because it seems like this staff can recruit, and they have a good core of upperclassmen. But they'll need to really develop good players into great ones if they want to compete for conference championships. 

I'm just hoping SOMEONE on this new staff can coach a little defense, to the 3-star recruits all the way down to the walk-ons. 

ORU ranked No. 296 nationally in scoring defense last season, surrendering 77.6 points per contest.

Which was actually an improvement from the previous season (and staff), which saw ORU give up an eye-popping 79.9 per game to rank 325th in Division-1 basketball.

Neither is gonna cut it. 

At some point, ya gotta stop the other guys from scoring so much, better coaches/talent/locker rooms/logos not withstanding.

20 hours ago, Old Titan said:

I'm just hoping SOMEONE on this new staff can coach a little defense, to the 3-star recruits all the way down to the walk-ons. 

ORU ranked No. 296 nationally in scoring defense last season, surrendering 77.6 points per contest.

Which was actually an improvement from the previous season (and staff), which saw ORU give up an eye-popping 79.9 per game to rank 325th in Division-1 basketball.

Neither is gonna cut it. 

At some point, ya gotta stop the other guys from scoring so much, better coaches/talent/locker rooms/logos not withstanding.

I'm sure Mills agrees with you.  The issue last season was no depth among the guards and wings.  We had to play a zone to protect them from fatigue AND to help our bigs since they weren't very good man defenders.  I think we'll see a lot more man with pressing and trapping next season.

Btw, speaking of our small budget.  I have it on good authority that we achieved our 8 new commitments for this year on just 13 official visits.  That pretty nice efficiency.

• 2 weeks later...

good to see DoMo trying to reconnect with the program........he certainly was not happy with the firing of Sutton.

hope one of the coaches or someone in the athletic dept acts on this.

canvas14.png.65af199c0e80b19ce22a4816c1f1020d.png

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Wait................what????????

Is this a case of Perry still being under contract during the summer and the author just confused or will he be back at ORU next season?  He's no longer even listed on the team website.

" we're still going to be pretty young this next year also, "

http://www.swtimes.com/sports/20180616/basketball-former-nhs-standout-has-hand-in-guiding-several-college-and-nba-players

pcanvas.png.8f0f5606b6306048acf6368a160c6f5e.png

Interesting....  I thought Perry landed at another school. 

Is this that ‘fake news’ I keep hearing about?

• 2 weeks later...

Coach Perry was at the NBA Draft with former AAU players Trae Young and Michael Porter Jr.

• 2 weeks later...