Daum Applies for NBA Draft, Does Not Hire Agent

Old Titan

• Old Titan changed the title to Daum Applies for NBA Draft, Does Not Hire Agent

Daum will be back at SDSU next season.  He missed his opportunity last year to come out early when he was much more likely to be drafted.

Take out the foreigners and college seniors that will be drafted and you got what, maybe 35 - 40 slots for underclassmen???

I have to agree that Daum will be back at SDSU (unless a P5 school makes compelling pitch to him). He almost HAS to enter the draft to get feedback going into next season...

Disagree that he'll for sure be back at SDSU.  If the draft analysis comes back saying they question the level of competition then he should decide to transfer to a P5.  One more year in the Summit won't change his eval.

Personally I think Daum should stay at SDSU his biggest challenges going forward will not be solved by going P5. He can't jump over a South Dakota phonebook and he does not have the lateral quickness to even guard Summit league small ball power forwards. If he goes power 5 he goes from being an all American to maybe a second or third team all conference stretch 4. Granted I could be wrong and if he ends up giving a school like Wisoncsin 16 and 8 for his senior season he would boost his stock tremendously probably into the late 1st round. 

Daum is a really good Summit player but looks slow and plodding in the NBA...TheEagleman would be very surprised if the guy is more than a mid-late 2nd round pick....:!:

now up to 190 declared (at least 60 w/agents).........Daum is not even listed in the top 100 prospects

he'll be back and pursue 3,000 pts and cement his legacy at SDSU and in the Summit League

Daum is slow.  But he's pretty big and has freakishly long arms.  He could at least be serviceable as an inside defender.  Then on offense he's a match up problem with his range.  Honestly, the thing that would worry me the most is his body type.  His legs look way to skinny.  I'd be afraid of him becoming injury prone.  But that's all the more reason for him to go pro now and not spend another year getting older in college.

Which is why a year at a P5 school starting over with new coaches, teammates and a new system does not make sense.  Is it going to get him on a better team in Europe?  Nope.

His options are start his career in Europe now or finish what he started at SDSU and try to win a game or two in the NCAA tournament next year.

• Upvote 1

His defense is the main reason he won't get into the NBA now. Like you guys have said he is a big body and has extremely long arms, but for some reason Daum does not have a defensive position that he can guard even at an average level. Talented big men even in the Summit league give him problems and he is not fast enough to guard the "small ball" four men that are so prominent in today's basketball. I put small ball in quotes because often times these 4's are still 6'7'' to 6'9" at the next level.

See I think his defense was poor partially because he tried very hard to stay out of foul trouble.  I don't think he is as bad as he looked.  The guy can shoot 40+ percentage from NBA range.  If I was a betting man I'd wager he finds a spot as long there are no injuries.

If you are a big man with slow feet, you won’t stand a chance in the D League, and will never sniff the NBA.

After not getting an invite to the NBA Combine Mike Daum announced that hes returning to SDSU

15 hours ago, ORUALUMNUS99 said:

After not getting an invite to the NBA Combine Mike Daum announced that hes returning to SDSU

This is not a surprise. This guy will shoot you out of the gym, but his inability to compete on the defensive end would make him a liability.