ORU at WIU

theeagleman5

Too cold to play yesterday in Macomb, IL....so ORU and Western Illinois play a DH this afternoon....more iffy weather for Sunday so no guarantee that the entire series will get completed....GO BLUE!!.....:eagles:

Good guys down 5-2 in bottom of the 6th and doing a good job of stinking up the field against a team who sports a whopping 4-18 record.

Pathetic......this ORU team is not very good....lost game one, 8-2 to a team with FOUR wins all season.....up 4-1 in Game two but still....this was a series we needed to sweep....:puke:

Game 2 was suspended and resumed this morning. Despite a 2-run scare in the bottom of the 9th, Eagles hold on for the 5-4 win. 

We lose the 2nd game today 1-0.  WIU takes 2 out of 3 games in this series.  That means that out of their 6 total wins this year, 2 came from us.  WIU's record is now 6-19.  You can do the math.  I have serious concerns this team doesn't make it out of the Summit.  They are that bad!

Geez.....this is either the start of a slippery slide downwards or a wake up call....but this ORU team just doesn't appear to be that good....very little clutch hitting and inconsistent pitching.....TheEagleman finds it hard to believe that we couldn't get one run off WIU's 3rd starter today....heinous.....:puke:

TheEagleman is still choking on the EIGHT errors in the opening game on Saturday....that's unheard of for a team that's usually fundamentally sound like ORU...but this team has gotten sloppy....I think if I were coaching I would have had these guys out for extra fielding practice the next morning at sun up.....:@

18 hours ago, theeagleman5 said:

TheEagleman is still choking on the EIGHT errors in the opening game on Saturday....that's unheard of for a team that's usually fundamentally sound like ORU...but this team has gotten sloppy....I think if I were coaching I would have had these guys out for extra fielding practice the next morning at sun up.....:@

Eight errors is unheard of for any team that isn't having snowcones right after it's game

This was the story line going into this series:

"FACING THE LEATHERNECKS: ORU has controlled the all-time series against WIU winning 73 of 82 games played dating back to 1986. The Golden Eagles swept the Leathernecks in Macomb last season and have won 10 of the previous 11 meetings. ORU is 29-7 in games played at WIU."   Going into the series ORU had lost only 9 games to WIU with 7 of those games being played at WIU.

With the loss on Sunday I believe this is the first series sweep by WIU over ORU.  It was the first time the Golden Eagles were shutout by the Leathernecks since April 5, 1998.  Back in the day any game with WIU was an easy win. These games were usually run-ruled or wins with a score of 30-2!

Strike-outs are a problem!  In the WIU series ORU struck out 36 times with 11 of these looking.  There were 4 or 5 times the K's were swings with the ball in the dirt requiring a tag-out or throw to 1st.  The 7-9 positions accounted for 16 of the K's.  If they can't hit - have them bunt just to get the ball in play!  In game 3 the based were loaded with one of our best hitters on a full-count and he watched strike 3 go by looking.  For all of these looking K's we want the hitters to hit, so if the ball is close enough to hit lets hit it. 

Very disappointed long time ORU Baseball supporter!

• Upvote 1