2017-18 Basketball Season in Review

ORUTerry

The ORU Athletic Department prepared this review...

Any other thoughts, observations or comments?

Winners win and losers spin.............ready for ORU to start winning again.

Yeah....who cares if we lose a bunch of guys from an 11-21 team....I guess Javan is a tough one to take but if he got a better deal then God Bless Him....TheEagleman is looking forward to seeing the new Mills' recruits and how the team comes together over the next 2-3 seasons....we really can't judge this coach on what happened this year....the jury is still out....:|

Seven open roster spots heading into 2018-19 is big task but also an opportunity. Hopefully the coaching staff is able to find the talent (and size) necessary to compete in the Summit.

One thing about having seven (7) open spots on the roster is that when recruiting a kid you can look him straight in the face and tell him with all honesty that there is a very high likelihood that he will see a lot of playing time his first year on campus and that positions are wide open for him to compete for a starting position or at least a role of coming off the bench and seeing a lot of playing time, unlike other programs where he may have to wait a couple of years to even see the floor.

I have said this before, but I am excited about next year. I don't think next years team will be worse. In fact, I believe they'll be a little better. Nzekwesi, Kearns, Fuqua, and Miller are the main returnees from last season. Emir Ahmedic looked promising at times last year too. If he just gets a little bit better, then he and Miller can anchor the Center spot. Add in Milton, Obanor, and Weaver, who all look like potential contributors, and you already have a 7-8 man rotation with some length and athleticism. If, out of the seven open spots, Mills can get one more PF/C type, and a solid shooter at guard, then you have the makings of a really nice team for next season with lots of potential for the years to come. 

14 minutes ago, Idig32 said:

I have said this before, but I am excited about next year. I don't think next years team will be worse. In fact, I believe they'll be a little better. Nzekwesi, Kearns, Fuqua, and Miller are the main returnees from last season. Emir Ahmedic looked promising at times last year too. If he just gets a little bit better, then he and Miller can anchor the Center spot. Add in Milton, Obanor, and Weaver, who all look like potential contributors, and you already have a 7-8 man rotation with some length and athleticism. If, out of the seven open spots, Mills can get one more PF/C type, and a solid shooter at guard, then you have the makings of a really nice team for next season with lots of potential for the years to come. 

I forgot about Jurgens too. Maybe he'll be the shooter we need. 

Also, regarding last year. There were flashes of really good basketball. I think Coach Mills has the program headed the right direction. He's giving the team an identity, a style of play that he can recruit to. This is a really important step in building a program. However, last year, there was a lot of inconsistency. I think it was largely a result of a team consisting mostly of the prior coach's players having to adjust to a completely different style of basketball. Also, Coach Mills had to recruit some stop-gap players that didn't mesh perfectly with the existing roster. However, even with the inconsistency in  the results on the court, there seemed to be a more consistent effort from the coaches and players. Overall, I think last season was good for the program and was a sort of "reset" for ORU basketball. Hopefully, the program can gain some momentum in the next year or two and we'll start winning some conference titles!