2018 Transfers

Eaglefan 21

5 hours ago, ORUJason said:

Javan would get 35+ minutes a game and every opportunity to maximize his stats and Summit League accolades at ORU.  At LSU or Clemson, at best he would be a 6th or 7th man off the bench and in a dogfight with other talented players for playing time.  To me this does not make sense.

Preachin to the choir brother.

10 hours ago, ORUJason said:

Javan would get 35+ minutes a game and every opportunity to maximize his stats and Summit League accolades at ORU.  At LSU or Clemson, at best he would be a 6th or 7th man off the bench and in a dogfight with other talented players for playing time.  To me this does not make sense.

Something had to be wrong or going badly for a player like Javan to make this type of decision. It’s like saying things were so bad here I would rather be 6th or 7th of the bench somewhere else. 

Nevada may be out, but sounds like UMass is very interested in Javan.  As mentioned above LSU would be as a back up to a couple 5 star post recruits....  (interesting to note that Wade at LSU is the same guy that brought in Billbury from ORU as a grad transfer at VCU.........that ended up working out quite well for him)

There’s only one more addition Wade needs to have what might be a great team – that’s one more quality big man to complete the rotation between Bigby-Williams and Reid, so Williams doesn’t have to be thrown in as an undersized post player and can be developed as a small forward, which is what he’ll be in the NBA.

So naturally, Wade has a 6-10, 230-pound center from Oral Roberts named Javan White coming in for a visit this weekend. White averaged 10 points and nine rebounds a game this past year, and he’s a graduate transfer with two years remaining. What he offers is a guy who will give LSU defense and rebounding off the bench this year, then potentially a bellcow in the paint for 2019-20 once Bigby-Williams and Reid have moved on.

I'm a little surprised to see the shock on here that Javan wanted to go. Obviously, he seemed like the perfect fit for ORU, so I'm very disappointed as well. BUT, ORU MBB is a floundering program that is middle to bottom of a mediocre conference. Our students don't care, and we are now thankful to get 2,000 butts in our 10,575 seat stadium. He is no longer being coached by the staff that recruited him, and there are again significant changes in the staff this year. What guy wouldn't want to go try out a state university that has dedicated fans and a real shot to make a run at the dance. We all saw how the decision to stay worked out for Albert.

Unfortunately, I think we can expect to see our best players continue to go elsewhere until something changes. The problem is figuring out how to change it. I'm optimistic that Coach Mills will get us pointed in the right direction, but it will take time.

The grass is always greener, don't yall know that?  Seriously, this shouldn't be all that shocking.  When a kid has options, even when the one for staying is still pretty good he is going to be curious about the others.  It may not be a smart decision but it happens all the time.  Grad transfers are leaving good situations all over the country. 

1 hour ago, EagleManiac said:

I'm optimistic that Coach Mills will get us pointed in the right direction, but it will take time.

Winning cures an awful lot

1 hour ago, #1ORUFAN said:

We all saw how the decision to stay worked out for Albert.

Couldn't have said it better. 

I'm curious what this statement means since I've read it here several times. What I saw this year was a new staff who strated the year trying to force feed the ball to Owens.  They asked him to play defense and rebound.  As the year progressed he proved to be unreliable on both ends.  He ended his career as a 6'9" big bodied guy with long arms and only one career double-double.  

Does anyone really think a different program would have put him on the floor with that kind of "effort"?  Albert is a great kid but he doesn't love to play.  If you want to blame Mills for Owens lack of passion so be it.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

Winning cures an awful lot

Agreed. I think if we had a 20 win campaign Javan would probably be staying. 

21 minutes ago, ORUParentLurker said:

Does anyone really think a different program would have put him on the floor with that kind of "effort"?  Albert is a great kid but he doesn't love to play.  If you want to blame Mills for Owens lack of passion so be it.

I don’t blame Mills at all for benching him. I think it was the right move. But the point still stands. It had to have been a TERRIBLY frustrating year for Albert. He went from the star of the show, to sitting out entire games. All at the hands of some coach that he didn’t come to ORU to play for. This year was FULL of growing pains, and I think Albert experienced the worst of them. In his case, I’ll bet he wishes he had gone elsewhere. 

Albert was benched for 15 games and still played more minutes than the guy who started in front of him. Then out of the blue he start the let 5 games.

Im just saying. 

Owens is a great kid and student - tremendous representative for ORU. He did not have a passion for basketball. Owens was a decent low post scorer but could be negated by a double team. His effort was sporadic and was not a good rebounder or defender - both indicators of effort. 

Owens is 3rd in ORU history in blocked shots.  The 16th player in ORU history to score 1,000 points and pull down 500 rebounds. For a guy that lacked effort his name will forever stand in the record book. 

I am not sure how many players ORU has had over the years, but I know there were more than 16. 

22 minutes ago, #1ORUFAN said:

Owens is 3rd in ORU history in blocked shots.  The 16th player in ORU history to score 1,000 points and pull down 500 rebounds. For a guy that lacked effort his name will forever stand in the record book. 

I am not sure how many players ORU has had over the years, but I know there were more than 16. 

He's a tremendous talent. You see his numbers are impressed.  I see them and wonder what they should have been.  He literally got benched in several games because of effort this season.  It takes some stones for a coach to do that but it was justified.  Maybe I tend to think like a coach more than most fans, but I have to dispute any claim that the "situation " didn't work out and it's somehow anyone's fault but his own.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, ORUParentLurker said:

He's a tremendous talent. You see his numbers are impressed.  I see them and wonder what they should have been.  He literally got benched in several games because of effort this season.  It takes some stones for a coach to do that but it was justified.  Maybe I tend to think like a coach more than most fans, but I have to dispute any claim that the "situation " didn't work out and it's somehow anyone's fault but his own.

That may be your problem you think like a coach. Well I was a coach.  When your players can’t play freely because they know if they make a mistake they will be sitting. When you focus on every thing a player does wrong instead of being positive with players you begin to believe the player lacks effort when actually your language brought out that in a player. Not only Owens but Dontrae, Miller, White, Sutton, Manek, Almedich all experienced that this year.  Didn’t you notice the body language of these guys when they were subbed out. Go watch some film. It’s no surprise Dontrae and White jumped ship. 

Vision:  Arm chair coach vs. Actual coaching experience 

Players transferring out of the system is not just limited to ORU.  Check out Wichita State where between graduation, transfers and one testing the NBA Draft, they are now down 9 players.  It is happening everywhere, including P-5 teams.

1 hour ago, #1ORUFAN said:

That may be your problem you think like a coach. Well I was a coach.  When your players can’t play freely because they know if they make a mistake they will be sitting. When you focus on every thing a player does wrong instead of being positive with players you begin to believe the player lacks effort when actually your language brought out that in a player. Not only Owens but Dontrae, Miller, White, Sutton, Manek, Almedich all experienced that this year.  Didn’t you notice the body language of these guys when they were subbed out. Go watch some film. It’s no surprise Dontrae and White jumped ship. 

Vision:  Arm chair coach vs. Actual coaching experience 

Well I had employee tell me once that he'd work harder if I gave him a raise.  I fired him.

32 minutes ago, ORUParentLurker said:

Well I had employee tell me once that he'd work harder if I gave him a raise.  I fired him.

Is that your way of saying you surrender the debate?

10 minutes ago, #1ORUFAN said:

Is that your way of saying you surrender the debate?

I confess that I don't know the right answer.  I'm saying you should be able to use playing time to enforce the coaching.  If a guy isn't playing hard I don't know that there is any good excuse for that.  However, I am willing to acknowledge that the coach's ability to identify true lack of effort vs. lack of confidence is a factor. 

What I can say confidently is that Mills seems to be  tough coach and some players aren't going to respond well to that style.  That doesn't make it wrong.  And I sure hope he's recruiting the right kids that fit his style.