2018 Transfers

Eaglefan 21

Pretty sure Iowa St.’s Daniyal Robinson was a finalist along with Mills last spring.

It's really impossible to evaluate a whole lot about Mills after year one.  The team had talent but the perceived strengths going in didn't have great years (i.e. the bigs).  The sure had their chances since they ran the offense through the post for most of the season.  Add in the fact that the back court didn't have the full compliment of healthy players very often.  Kearns is the only guard who played in every game.  So you had no depth to run a faster tempo or play more aggressive defense.  We were bottom of the league in pace.  Considering the first interview I heard from Mills he said he liked to run the Arkansas or West Virginia style... I think you know where I'm going.

So the negatives?  I'm concerned he couldn't get two assets to buy in after a full season preaching to them.  I had the feeling all year that Tray was probably out but the Javan loss is surprising.  He seems to be a perfect fit.  That being said, he's getting numerous power 5 offers and its tough to just ignore that.  I'm also a little concerned that this team is going to be counting on a bunch of freshman to provide quality depth and maybe even start.

Positives?  Four solid returners including two who received some post reason recognition (Kearns and Eman).  Chris has some very nice moments all season and RJ battled a ton of injuries to end up having a decent freshman year.  A full offseason to get stronger and healthier and all the returners should improve.  Amir battled knee issues all year as well and should come back much better.  I'm guessing Eman won't be playing for Denmark this summer.  We also have Obionor stepping in as a freshman and he has been here since January.  He basically have Javan's body and will certainly get the opportunity to play.  I've talked to Mills a few times and I know he believes that commitment wins over everything else.  He's got 4 freshman and maybe a juco or two coming and the returning guys leading the charge on getting them integrated.  Also, what could be a blessing in disguise with these departures is now the style of play almost HAS to change.  We can spend all summer getting Eman ready to play the 4 and hopefully get more quickness and shooting on the court. 

Maybe even more important is our schedule can't possibly be as hard next season.  We were setup to struggle from the jump and got zero breaks early on.  The tone on this board would be much different if we win 15 or 16 games. 

• Upvote 3

That's a real nice post, Lurker.....thanks for the insight on Coach Mills and his plans for the future.....the ORU faithful sure needs some positive info like that....:eagles:

What did we leave on the table? Can you be a little more specific? 

• Upvote 1

I’ll give you one. When we lost to Denver in overtime. We were up by 3, you don’t let them inbound the ball without fouling. Put them on the line for two foul shots and get the ball back to run clock. But instead we let them inbound the ball go from end to end and put up a 3 to tie the game. We loose in overtime. 

(leave (something) on the table v. phr. to refrain from taking the utmost advantage of something; to not address every aspect of a situation;)

7 hours ago, #1ORUFAN said:

I’ll give you one. When we lost to Denver in overtime. We were up by 3, you don’t let them inbound the ball without fouling. Put them on the line for two foul shots and get the ball back to run clock. But instead we let them inbound the ball go from end to end and put up a 3 to tie the game. We loose in overtime. 

(leave (something) on the table v. phr. to refrain from taking the utmost advantage of something; to not address every aspect of a situation;)

That's a good example....can you continue with more than one?

Your earlier quote indicated that ORU left a lot (n. a considerable quantity) on the table...

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, ORUIllini said:

That's a good example....can you continue with more than one?

Your earlier quote indicated that ORU left a lot (n. a considerable quantity) on the table...

No dude that’s a tremendous example. We were 11-21 did we watch the same team play this season? C’mon man!

3 hours ago, #1ORUFAN said:

No dude that’s a tremendous example. We were 11-21 did we watch the same team play this season? C’mon man!

So your tremendous example would put ORU at 12-20, versus 11-21, to me that's not leaving a lot on the table, just sayin man.

I think we all watched the same team play this season. What do you think ORU's record should of been having left a lot on the table?

I believe the program is in the right hands with Mills and that success will come, soon. I don't think many of us expected more than what was delivered during this transition year.

There were a couple games this season that should have been W’s. The Oakland game comes to mind... up 81-79, 8 seconds left, ORU has possesion.

There is still a lot left to do to get back in contention for a conference championship  but Mills seems to be bringing in the right guys.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

There were a couple games this season that should have been W’s. The Oakland game comes to mind... up 81-79, 8 seconds left, ORU has possesion.

There is still a lot left to do to get back in contention for a conference championship  but Mills seems to be bringing in the right guys.

We could've won more games in conference for sure. The conference tournament game by itself was one where we could have done better. Anytime you lose a game you shouldn't have won, you feel like you left something on the table. However, I would argue this team won some games that, looking at the situation coming in, it shouldn't have won as well (Florida Gulf Coast Anyone?). Mills pointed the program in the right direction. He showed leadership in some of the tough decisions he made throughout the year and looks to be recruiting some high level players to rebuild the program. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ORUIllini said:

So your tremendous example would put ORU at 12-20, versus 11-21, to me that's not leaving a lot on the table, just sayin man.

I think we all watched the same team play this season. What do you think ORU's record should of been having left a lot on the table?

I believe the program is in the right hands with Mills and that success will come, soon. I don't think many of us expected more than what was delivered during this transition year.

Thanks Dr. Cornelius & Idig32 for giving another example of what I was saying.  ORUIllini I am pretty sure you can think of a few if you are honest with yourself; man did I offend you?

3 hours ago, #1ORUFAN said:

Thanks Dr. Cornelius & Idig32 for giving another example of what I was saying.  ORUIllini I am pretty sure you can think of a few if you are honest with yourself; man did I offend you?

No offense brother, I'm just bored and miss ORU basketball and want to see this thing get better soon, like all of us...

So, here's what I came up with...

I do think that ORU should of beaten Pepperdine early in the year, I agree with Dr. C regarding the Oakland game, I think Southern Nazarene should of been a W, along with the conference games at South Dakota State and of course Denver, like you mentioned.

I also think that ORU just as easily could of lost the games @ Little Rock and North Dakota State at home (Ruder Miracle)

Changing those W's and L's would put ORU at 14-18, versus the 11-21....to me that's nothing that makes me feel like this team underachieved, or left a lot on the table, if that's what you meant by that.  I'll admit the number of wins was probably  a little lower than this team was capable of, but I don't think they were capable of much more than maybe .500 and one win at the Summit Tourney.

October can't get here fast enough for me to see what Mills and crew have in store for the 2018-19 season, let's hope we get some transfer news or schedule updates soon!

15 minutes ago, ORUIllini said:

October can't get here fast enough for me to see what Mills and crew have in store for the 2018-19 season, let's hope we get some transfer news or schedule updates soon!

I'm calling for an all SWAC non-conf schedule.........home and homes with  Ark Pine Bluff, Ala A&m, Alcorn, etc..........lock them into 4 year deals

http://www.rpiforecast.com/confs/SWAC.html

• Like 1

Amen, Alum...more cupcakes needed on the schedule.....actual victories are much better than moral ones....ORU should play a max of two guarantee games unless we are really desperate for the $$$....too painful watching us lose by 40+ at Penn State, OSU and UNLV.....:shake:

23 hours ago, theeagleman5 said:

Amen, Alum...more cupcakes needed on the schedule.....actual victories are much better than moral ones....ORU should play a max of two guarantee games unless we are really desperate for the $$$....too painful watching us lose by 40+ at Penn State, OSU and UNLV.....:shake:

Lol the never ending dilemma of the mid major AD.

Take the big payday, but suffer embarrassing 40 point losses throughout November and December? Or play a competitive schedule and lose all that income, risking the financial sustainability of your non-revenue sports.