2018 Transfers

Eaglefan 21

I’m think we should be careful making personal comments about either players or coaches. Coaching decisions, strategy, recruiting, etc. - or player performance on the court - that is fine. Let’s make sure we don’t slip into gossip. 

Mills will need several years to get the players to fit his style and install his culture. As hard as it is for us to be patient, this situation took a while to manifest and it will take time to turn around. 

"Mills will need several years to get the players to fit his style and install his culture."  (ORU TERRY)

You are right to assume it will take more than one year to change the program. I hate it that we lost two good players but we have not really seen the new recruits play.  Remember, we only have five returning players and four with playing time.  Ahmedic did not see much action and what I saw of him was positive. With the new recruits, we now have 5 over 6'7". Mills still has 4 to recruit and maybe one could replace Owens or White. We all need to stay positive and look at this glass half full. Even Bill Self did not produce a winner in his first year at ORU, and I believe him to be one of the best coaches in the business. 

Doh-Homer-Simpson.jpg?ssl=1

On Wednesday, Colorado State guard Kris Martin deleted a Twitter post from earlier in the week announcing he has committed to transfer to Oklahoma for the upcoming season. The 6-foot-6 shooting guard averaged 10.5 points and 3.1 rebounds over two seasons at Oral Roberts, but sat out last season after transferring to Colorado State. He's likely to sit out again this season due to NCAA transfer rules, even after Colorado State's coach Larry Eustachy resigned amid a university investigation into verbal abuse of players.

This has called into question why the Sooners would offer a player unable to contribute next season, as they have lost two guards, Jordan Shepherd and Kameron McGusty, to transfer recently and have three available scholarships for the upcoming season. A source confirmed to the Transcript that Martin has yet to receive an offer from OU, as the Sooners wait to hear on his eligibility. A few other grad transfers that have reportedly received interest from OU include, Pacific's Miles Reynolds, Maine's Aaron Calixte and Evansville's Ryan Taylor. Unlike Martin, they would be automatically eligible due to the NCAA's graduate transfer rule.

ORUTerry’s comment about having patience with Coach Mills and his staff is an excellent point.  The cupboard was fairly bare when he arrived (due to the previous coaching staff) and he now has an opportunity to bring in a lot of new players that buy into him and his system.

However, it is extremely frustrating to lose good players like Korey Bilbury,  Kris Martin, Jontray Harris and Javan White.  There is not a lot of loyalty in today’s millennial generation.   When each of those players left, they were expected to be starters or very key contributors the following season, so they walked away from significant playing time to try and find greener pastures.

Because of the transfers and player turnover it may be hard to evaluate even next year whether Coach Mills was the right hire or not.  I expect that he will be given some time to put his stamp on the program.  Scott Sutton was given 18 years as a head coach at ORU, Mills certainly deserves a few as well.

On 3/27/2018 at 11:57 PM, Old Titan said:

Perfect example of why I took a month-long message board sabbatical:

Damen Bell-Holter didn’t just “commit” to Missouri State, he signed a letter of intent, which is why he had to subsequently spend a year at a prep school before he could follow former MSU assistant and fellow Alaskan Kyan Brown to ORU.  So, to paraphrase in your words, “not a D-1 transfer, BUT STILL...”

As for Drew Wilson and Aaron Anderson, all I said was that they were among several “starter-quality D-1 prospects”.  The fact they came to ORU from programs like Fresno State and Missouri State supports my point:  ORU used to SIGN starter-quality D-1 transfers in the spring, now they LOSE starter-quality D-1 transfers in the spring.

Memo to the newbies:  before rushing to quote a post in an effort to make your point, you might want to consider what the post actually SAYS first.

Time for another month off...maybe two. 8)

Or perhaps you could just say that you never considered neither of those other two players mentioned until you saw what true lack of starter quality D1 prospects looked like... especially at guard. Guard play has been weak at ORU for a long long time. If this ORU team hadn't had Kearns this year we would've been in a lot more trouble. 

36 minutes ago, ORUJason said:

ORUTerry’s comment about having patience with Coach Mills and his staff is an excellent point.  The cupboard was fairly bare when he arrived (due to the previous coaching staff) and he now has an opportunity to bring in a lot of new players that buy into him and his system.

However, it is extremely frustrating to lose good players like Korey Bilbury,  Kris Martin, Jontray Harris and Javan White.  There is not a lot of loyalty in today’s millennial generation.   When each of those players left, they were expected to be starters or very key contributors the following season, so they walked away from significant playing time to try and find greener pastures.

Because of the transfers and player turnover it may be hard to evaluate even next year whether Coach Mills was the right hire or not.  I expect that he will be given some time to put his stamp on the program.  Scott Sutton was given 18 years as a head coach at ORU, Mills certainly deserves a few as well.

As long as players are still living in EMR, having to eat at SAGA, etc then it will be extremely hard to refill that cupboard. The locker room and the new court are nice starts, and  I believe the practice gym Is about to get redone too. However, one look at TU's campus and they are light years ahead of us. Granted they have more money than we do and are a bigger university, however something needs to be done to update ORU's off the basketball court student-athlete life to help the coaching staff. We are making good starts and I believe that Mills is trying to bring more money and bigger recruits to our university but like ORU Terry said time is necessary to fix the dramatic mess that ORU basketball has been in. And in my opinion, it won't be rectified next year with the 7 new faces. Javan and Jontray along with the loss of the two seniors (even though Ruder was only here for a year) leaving set the resurrection of the program back by a few years. I am excited to see Kennedy Milton next year though I have heard he is big time.

All very interesting stuff and probably true.....so our basketball players don't have a nice athletic dorm?...that stinks...not good for recruiting....as for the players we lost....well, let's be honest...all were part of 10/11 win teams the past couple of years....were they really THAT good?...probably not....best wishes to all the transfers and no hard feelings but I don't think we lost any "Ben Simmons quality" players.....|(

TheEagleman thinks we need to let Coach Mills and his staff bring in a few recruiting classes and then we can see how it all shakes out...if by 2020 ORU is still only a 10-12 win team then he's a terrible failure....but Coach deserves a few years to bring in "his guys".....he can say what he wants but the 2017-18 group were not "his guys".....frankly, they were not very good.....not sure Coach K or even the great Bill Self could have won with that bunch.....:|

includes quotes from Javan.....seems to want to be better utilized and compete for championships

Not a very flattering picture of Javan. I’m sure they could found something better. 

Wonder if any of the coaches he sought counsel from were former college coaches?

I think the move to hire Coach Mills showed a commitment to basketball that has helped recruiting. The upgraded locker rooms and new court and branding are positive signs as well. Hopefully, the Athletic Department can keep the momentum going and upgrade dorms and other facilities so Coach Mills has even more tools to recruit with. Honestly, I wonder if some of the stagnation in recruiting under Coach Sutton was due to him and the staff not knowing what good facilities are like. Coach Mills certainly knows what things our program needs to compete in that regard. 

As for the transfers, I am not worried. There are a lot of things that have changed in basketball in the last ten years. Even South Dakota State is rumored to be losing starters to transfer. For that matter, OU is. It seems that ORU is targeting really good recruits who seem to want to build something here. I am confident that our coaches will turn this around. Maybe sooner than we think. I am actually kinda excited to see what the coaches can do with the young, hungry guys they'll have next year. That said, it would be nice if we could find a transfer that could provide a little veteran leadership next year. 

• Upvote 1

Austin Meyer, 6-9 forward ,formally of Mustang (graduated in 2016) is transfering from Rice per Verbal Commits.

Meyer is one of three Owl players transferring... Last year, with a coaching change, Rice lost seven (!!) players to transfer.

4 hours ago, Eaglefan 21 said:

Austin Meyer, 6-9 forward ,formally of Mustang (graduated in 2016) is transfering from Rice per Verbal Commits.

SMH Albert and Javan will be missed!

Iowa State is being very selective with its available 2018 scholarship. On Friday, it met with two sit-out transfers who could potentially fill that spot, and it's meeting with one more Sunday.

A source with direct knowledge of the situation told the Register that Cyclones assistant coach Daniyal Robinson met with Oral Roberts power forward transfer Javan White and assistant coach Neill Berry met with South Dakota point guard transfer Matt Mooney on Friday.

The source also said head coach Steve Prohm would meet with Utah State point guard transfer Koby McEwen on Sunday, which was originally reported by The Athletic's CJ Moore.

Iowa State has not offered any of the three players yet. Right now, it's getting a sense of the players' fit in its system and culture.

White is a redshirt sophomore from Ames High. He averaged 10.2 points and 9.2 rebounds per game this season. He's receiving plenty of interest, including from Drake and new head coach Darian DeVries.

uscp-6ivjhqitibkafbzz2mx_original.jpg

(Photo: Michael Zamora/The Register)

Mooney is a junior from Wauconda, Illinois. He averaged 18.7 points, 4.1 rebounds and 3.1 assists per game this season. He played for Air Force as a freshman before transferring to South Dakota for his sophomore and junior seasons. He also has reported interest from Arizona State, Creighton, Indiana, Northwestern and Texas Tech, among others.