2018 Transfers

Eaglefan 21

I was hoping Javan would stick around after his first complete season of not being injured.  I can understand 3 years of losing and it wears on you.  But he's walking away from being a true cornerstone of a team.  99.9% of kids transfer for playing time.  I doubt he gets more elsewhere.  At any rate, I suspect any and all graduating big men out there are being contacted.

Hate to see Javan leave. Seems like a nice kid and good fit for ORU. I’m sure that schools have been re-recruiting him given his plans to graduate. Good luck to him. 

Saw in the newspaper that two Oklahoma players are transferring out. That leaves them pretty thin since Trey Young is leaving for the NBA draft(???!!)

Discover raw talent that was missed, develop and nurse injuries for 3 years and another school gets to reap the upside of the player......such is the life of a low major.  By not playing him second semester last season, Sutton and ORU gave him another full year to help another program.

Like was mentioned above, ORU better start winning or we will see even more of these transfers.

Eman will be a hot commodity next year, assuming he is on schedule to graduate.

What a joke....doesn’t even play a year, and he’s out of there...all this player movement makes me sick!

14 minutes ago, ORUIllini said:

What a joke....doesn’t even play a year, and he’s out of there...all this player movement makes me sick!

I cut K-Mart slack on this one.  Eustachy got canned for mistreatment of players.

I guarantee OU will appeal to the NCAA and have him on the court next year without having to forgo another year sitting out.

My favorite was the football player OU got eligible a few years ago that had to flee the horrible allergies of Fresno for the allergy free sanctuary that is Norman Oklahoma.:D

On 3/26/2018 at 7:01 PM, ORUIllini said:

Really disappointing! Rather than stay and be a part of struggle that leads to success,  today these young athletes are just looking for the immediate opportunity to bolt...there’s no loyolaty it seems anymore...just really disappointed...hope ORU gets an opportunity to beat him!

Lol Blame it on the player!   Keep drinking the Mills Kool aide. First Jontray our sixth man and now a starter with huge upside!  Ask yourself why would two players who are guaranteed significant minutes next year leave?   

On 3/26/2018 at 10:07 PM, ORUALUMNUS99 said:

DBH never played a game for Mo St wouldn't really consider him a transfer. I know he originally committed there but still. And its funny how time changes this board I remember not to long ago when I would read the message board and there would be absolutely zero basketball positives about Drew Wilson or Aaron Anderson...

Perfect example of why I took a month-long message board sabbatical:

Damen Bell-Holter didn’t just “commit” to Missouri State, he signed a letter of intent, which is why he had to subsequently spend a year at a prep school before he could follow former MSU assistant and fellow Alaskan Kyan Brown to ORU.  So, to paraphrase in your words, “not a D-1 transfer, BUT STILL...”

As for Drew Wilson and Aaron Anderson, all I said was that they were among several “starter-quality D-1 prospects”.  The fact they came to ORU from programs like Fresno State and Missouri State supports my point:  ORU used to SIGN starter-quality D-1 transfers in the spring, now they LOSE starter-quality D-1 transfers in the spring.

Memo to the newbies:  before rushing to quote a post in an effort to make your point, you might want to consider what the post actually SAYS first.

Time for another month off...maybe two. 8)

8 hours ago, ORU2017grad said:

Lol Blame it on the player!   Keep drinking the Mills Kool aide. First Jontray our sixth man and now a starter with huge upside!  Ask yourself why would two players who are guaranteed significant minutes next year leave?   

It’s tough to see players leave but to try to blame it on Mills with no facts and no historical data to base ANYTHING on is insane. Player transfers are at an all-time high and neither of these guys were Mills recruits. We were lucky to keep them in the first place. Go check the blue-blood programs  who have players that are expected to contribute next year transfer all the time. 

To turn on a coach (who improved the program in his first year) is wild to me. 

2 hours ago, EagleManiac said:

It’s tough to see players leave but to try to blame it on Mills with no facts and no historical data to base ANYTHING on is insane. Player transfers are at an all-time high and neither of these guys were Mills recruits. We were lucky to keep them in the first place. Go check the blue-blood programs  who have players that are expected to contribute next year transfer all the time. 

To turn on a coach (who improved the program in his first year) is wild to me. 

I have all the facts I need.  How many practices have you been too?  Have you ever seen how he interacts with his players?   How many players do you know?  How many players live in your dorm?  Keep living in your fantasy land.  It's not up to me to prove anything to you "old timers" but maybe you guys should get out from behind the keyboard and go observe.  Good luck to you guys I am done with the board.

1 hour ago, ORU2017grad said:

I have all the facts I need.  How many practices have you been too?  Have you ever seen how he interacts with his players?   How many players do you know?  How many players live in your dorm?  Keep living in your fantasy land.  It's not up to me to prove anything to you "old timers" but maybe you guys should get out from behind the keyboard and go observe.  Good luck to you guys I am done with the board.

Sutton had starters leave every year for the past several seasons... (Jefferies, Martin, etc...)

But I guess it must be a hard transition from Sutton to a coach who actually expects any amount of discipline or accountability. It will take a while to build a culture based on competitive basketball and not borderline intramurals.

• Upvote 1

By all means ORU2017grad, please share your "inside" information with us.  I am not at practices because I live over 1,000 miles away.  However, I do contribute $$$ to ORU Athletics and am a member of the GEC so I do support the teams from afar.  However, you feel you have some information so please share it.

16 hours ago, ORU2017grad said:

Thank you sir, I will keep drinking the Mills Kool Aide...it's my belief that he will turn this program around, and soon...

I appreciate ORU82 asking the same questions of you that I have...one of the benefits of a message board is to provide "insider" info pertaining to a program that we all care about and want to see be successful. Since I live over 700 miles from ORU, I rely on fellow members to share things that make me feel like I am part of the program, so to speak...you seem to have a lot of questions, so here are my answers...

6 hours ago, ORU2017grad said:

How many practices have you been too?  zero

Have you ever seen how he interacts with his players?   no

How many players do you know?  personally? zero

How many players live in your dorm? zero, I don't live in a dorm.

Good luck to you guys I am done with the board. Come on, don't be that guy.....you only need to answer one question for me....please share with all of us your amazing insider info.......we're waiting....

ORU2017grad was just calling it like he see’s it. Like many of you do on a regular basis. Check the mirror your slip is showing!   

8 hours ago, ORU2017grad said:

Haha. This old timer moved out of EMR less than 2 years ago.

And I never said Mills was a peach of a guy. He may be a terrible coach and a terrible person for all I know. All I’m saying is this: judgements cast after 1 year of coaching are rarely accurate. Transfers after year 1 of a program shake-up are all too common. Just because a couple of your buddies didn’t agree with his coaching style and decided to transfer isn’t necessarily indicative of a major issue within the program. If you have the inside scoop on some sort of flaw which allows you to write him off after one year though, please let us know. 

From what I can tell, Mills is doing a great job in turning our program around. Sometimes changing the culture of an organization can be messy. Hopefully these transfers are just part of the mess, and not an indication of a serious issue, as ORUGrad2017 seems to believe. 

Yeah, 2017Grad....let's hear the inside info....TheEagleman is one of the "old timers" from the Titan era and I also live over 1500 miles from Tulsa....I don't know any players nor have I met the new coaches....I liked Coach Sutton and would consider him a friend but it was time for a change at ORU....Mills is probably a lot different, I am sure....but if you have concerns about him....well, let's hear all about it......I have an open mind and no one is saying you are wrong.......:geek: