Anthony Roberts scores 65 in NIT game

TitanFan

On this date in 1977, Anthony Roberts scored 65 points in a 90-89 loss to Oregon in the Mabee Center in a first-round loss in the NIT.

I was there. Crazy game - packed house - SRO. Best offensive show I ever saw. If the 3-point shot had been in effect, he probably would have scored 80. If I remember correctly, Greg Ballard of Oregon scored something like 45 points as well. Does anyone else recall this game? 

TheEagleman remembers the game but it was the year after I graduated so I wasn't in attendance.....I saw Woosie at every home game his first 3 years and several road games....he was the best player in ORU history...even better than the great Richard Fuqua.....could shoot from anywhere inside 25 feet and could take it to the rack, good rebounder and passer....I sat next to Tony in a couple of classes and would call him a friend.....I met with him and some teammates at Va. Tech in 1977 and in Philadelphia twice when he played for the Denver Nuggets....he left me and my wife a pair of tickets to a game vs. the Sixers at the Spectrum in 1978 and 79.....I lost touch with him after that....a really nice kid who unfortunately got involved with some unsavory people and died too young....a lot of guys from those great ORU teams of the 70s are no longer with us.....very sad....but yeah,  Oregon game was a classic and am fairly sure that 65 point game is still the NIT record.....:oru-logo:

I remember that game well - Woosie put on a real show.  Ballard did hurt ORU that night - but as I recall, the real problem was that Alvin Scott, who went on to play for the Phoenix Suns,  got called for a couple of cheap fouls early, and was unable to effectively guard Ballard due to the foul problems.