Summit League Tournament

theeagleman5

Well you hit on an important point, we don’t have any 3 point shooters that have averaged 40% unless you count Albert Owens’ 1 of 2 50% shooting percentage.  Beyond that Spencer Sutton has a 37% 3 point % and several have around 36% including Ruder, Jontray, and Kearns.  RJ’s % was a little lower (I think it was around 33%) and Nzekwesi’s was around 25%.  

I have seen Ruder be slow to rotate in the zone, but I have seen literally every player on the team be slow to rotate over in the zone.  That hits on a 2nd problem with this team: they have played a zone defense most of the year that takes a while to learn and may not actually be a good fit for the current players that we have.

Out of the guards we have, I don’t see Ruder as a defensive liability.  He was pretty solid at stopping the dribble drive.

In summary, we need better shooters and long and athletic players that can make this zone defense successful.  The few signings that Coach Mills has gained so far are very promising for next year.

1 hour ago, ORU82 said:

I do think we can beat Denver on Sunday even though we have yet to that this season.  I actually believe we can beat any of the teams in the Summit.  However, the chances of that are pretty slim.  That said, I do think we are improving and yes we did do better this year than last year.  Heck, if we just win one game in this year's Tourney we are way ahead of where we were last year.  Arguably we already are better than last year which gives me great satisfaction.  I also think we will continue to improve going into the future.  It was time for a Regime change and I am glad it occurred.

I do think we will get a win against Denver - the only team that I don't think ORU has real chance against is SDSU. Wouldn't surprise me if ORU gets 1-2 wins.

The Summit League playoffs have a history of lower seeds scoring some upsets in the opening round....no way SDSU or SD lose tomorrow and depending on the lines, TheEagleman expects to go big with those 2 teams on Saturday....I see 20+ point wins for both...but Sunday I could see the lower seeds NDSU and ORU pulling off wins...surely can happen and usually does in Sioux Falls....:geek:

Sure sellout full of South Dakota basketball fans in Sioux Falls tonight and SDSU is a current 15.5 point favorite over WIU and SD is 13 over Omaha.....gotta love the favorites.....OVER looks tempting but not sure if the underdogs can score enough points.....for tonight I think the Jacks win by about 90-65 over WIU and the Coyotes crush Omaha 86-63.....the Old Milwaukee will be flowing afterwards......8)

Western Illinois almost upset SDSU.  They were up by 9 in the 2nd half but couldn’t hold the lead.  

WIU almost shocked the world....that should wake up the Jacks....and SD just rolled over Omaha....so both top seeds advance....:geek:

ORU is in a good position to win. They have played better of late and have had a long time to practice. Also, for whatever reason, it's really hard to beat a team 3 times in one season. It just doesn't seem to happen in college basketball unless the talent gap is really large. Denver isn't a world beater, I don't think they can beat us a third time. 

• Like 1

TheEagleman expects two hard fought games tonight in Sioux Falls....and very possibly the two lower seeds will come out victorious....NDSU edges Fort Wayne late by 82-80....:geek:

TheEagleman hit 3 of 4 games in the first round of the Summit Tournament.....tonight's lines are very inviting.....SDSU only a -6 vs. NDSU and I am lovin' the Jacks and the OVER in this one....I think SDSU wins by 10......and SD is a 11 point favorite over Denver who will have to be running on fumes by the 2nd half.......Coyotes by at least 15-20 and probably the OVER in that one also......:geek:

Decided to not bet O/U last night and a good thing....both games were low but routs as expected....so tonight its SD vs. SDSU in the title matchup....should be a dandy.....:nod:

I was lucky deciding to just play the favorites last night....decided the underdogs might both be tired and that's how it went...Good tournament for TheEagleman so far at 5-1....but tonight is a tough one to call....I will see where the line is later but leaning towards SDSU with a small play. ...8)

TheEagleman finds it a little surprising that South Dakota is -1.5 tonight over SDSU.....O/U is 148.....I am leaning towards SDSU and the OVER ....should be a really good contest and I expect it to be close....so if I have SDSU + 7.5 and and O/U of 142 that's looking real good to me....:geek:

Looking forward to a real entertaining Summit League Final on ESPN2 tonight in front of a sellout crowd in Sioux Falls....let's call it  SDSU 83  SD 79....:geek:

Bobby Word vs Coach Nagy in the Horizon league championship.

SDSU 97 South Dakota 87....cha ching!! Congrats to the Jacks on another title.... Really nice that they only have to drive 20-25 miles to play in tournament every year....:sdsu:

We could not beat South Dakota or SDSU on our own Court.  As was stated elsewhere, hopefully we start to land better recruits.  We have a long way to go.

Supposedly we have 2 or 3 nice recruits coming in for 2018-19.....TheEagleman is hoping for better days ahead with Coach Mills.....bye bye Big Albert....we never made the dance with him in the line up.....:shake: