Summit League Tournament

theeagleman5

So ORU gets the 6 seed vs. Denver next Sunday night....could be worse...ya never know...:eagles:

SDSU vs. WIU

SD     vs.  Omaha

Ft. Wayne  vs. NDSU

Denver  vs.  ORU

Sunday night games look very interesting....both Saturday night contests should be blow outs....would be shocked if both the Jacks and Coyotes don't win but at least 12-15 points.....TheEagleman would have to bet on an all South Dakota final for Tuesday night.....:geek:

Last year at this time ORU season was over.  Got the 5th seed and a game they could win this time around.  Pound it inside and they have a shot.  Fall in love with the 3 they get beat bad.

I agree on pounding it inside.  Play physical and quit chucking up a bunch of "3's".  If we get physical we can win this game.  We also have to play tough defense as well.  Go Golden Eagles!

One would think that Coach Mills is smart enough to see that our best chance of winning is to go big and pound the ball down low with Javan, Albert, Miller and E-Man.....tossing up 3s by Ruder and Kearns just doesn't get the job done.....we surely can compete vs. Denver and I hope we take it right to them inside on Sunday night.....can't wait to see the lines for these opening games on Saturday....TheEagleman loves SD and SDSU to win big and there is lots of $$$ to be made on this Summit Tournament especially in the first round......:geek:

I question how much you guys look at stats.  Our bigs are terribly inefficient.  "pounding the ball inside" is a bad strategy unless you have post up players who score more than 50% of the time.  The reality is you need balance to win.  We've had a lot of games where the offense stunk because we spent the whole shot clock trying to force the ball inside.  The bigs have been hot and cold scoring inside (mostly cold).  However, they have been very good in chasing offensive rebounds and getting put backs.  Notice we are much more successful when our guards are dribbling off screens and bigs are moving and not stagnant.  The reason is no matter where the shot comes from there are lanes to crash the glass.

Our best offense has come off dribble penetration with motion to the basket.  Whether its Sam, RJ, Ruder, Tray or Eman.  All capable.  I agree you don't want to fall in love with the three.  But there is a big difference between "chucking up 3s" and taking good open looks.  Kearns and Ruder have the highest adjusted FG% on the team because they can hit some 3s. 

Downside for Sunday is Denver has been kyptonite for outside shooting.  Our three main guards scored a COMBINED 3 points last time.  I hope that was just a fluke.

• Upvote 1

I agree that the most efficient offense is when our post players stay in motion instead of just camping on the block.

BUT in Summit League play Miller, White, Owens, & Nzekwesi all have effective FG% over 50%. Only Harris has an effective FG% over 50% among guards.

• Upvote 1

Stats?....who looks at stats?....:blink:....just pound it down low and dunk it....probably won't matter anyway.....Denver will likely beat us for a third time....:tmi:

Our post players are stone throwers, our guards are too small and inconsistent, and our coaching is below par.  Denver please put us out of our misery!!!!!

1 hour ago, ORU2017grad said:

Our post players are stone throwers, our guards are too small and inconsistent, and our coaching is below par.  Denver please put us out of our misery!!!!!

giphy.gif

• Upvote 2

Overall, all of our bigs should over 50% on the season from the field except for Owens at 49%... Emmanuel Nzekwesi is our worst big in terms of FG% at 45.6% but he's playing the three 75% of the time anyway, which in my opinion hasn't worked all season.. while our guard all shoot 40% or below. Like mentioned earlier even if eFG% is taken into account none of our guards at 50% except for Harris which means they aren't shooting threes at an astoundingly good rate. Theres a reason why we're the worst three point shooting team in the conference yet we've taken more threes than half the Summit League..

• Upvote 2

In one of our last games, Ruder in the first several minutes of the second half chucked up at least 10 "3s", none of which went in.  In other words, no ball movement, just put up the "3" as soon as you bring it down the floor.  I give this simply by way of illustration regarding what I posted above.

Ruder is the Transfer of the Year in the Summit....obviously a banner year for transfers in our league......in another 72 hours this season will be thankfully over.....it's been a long year....geez...it's been a long FIVE years for ORU Mens Basketball.....:blink:

I think you are off base to be criticizing Ruder.  He is one of 5 players who has averaged scoring double figures.  He is one of our best 3 point shooters and he is a streaky shooter.  He plays solid defense as well.  Sure it would be nice if he was super athletic and 6'5", but he isn't Moses Ehambe.  He deserves to have the green light shooting 3 pointers if he gets an open look, especially because teams will sometimes take away the post game defensively and when that happens your 3 point shooters have to hit a few shots to open up the game.

It is unfair to criticize Ruder because he had an off shooting night.  He has had several games where he was the best 3 point shooter on the floor.  I wish he wasn't a senior.  He and Albert will be missed next year and they both deserved the awards they received.  

I am also excited to see that Nzekwesi and Kearns also were recognized.  They will be key contributors on next year's team.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:.....you lost me at Moses Ehambe.......Personally,  TheEagleman misses Roundtree and Vealy......:-P

Man this board has really packed it in already! Let's not forget where we were last year this time - on the outside looking in on the tournament. All things considered, I think a sixth place finish is pretty respectable, and I really don't think Denver is a huge favorite here. Maybe the tune will change when we pick up a W on Sunday...

• Like 1

By way of clarification, I am not zeroing in on Ruder and blaming all of our "ills" upon him.  As stated above, I used the example I stated "by way of illustration".  I understand the idea of "3s" but am not a fan of them.  When they work you can get a false sense of security.  When they do not work, you end up looking like a pretty pathetic team.  I guess in that sense I am "old school".  If at all possible move the ball around, pound it inside and play a smothering defense.  

I do think we can beat Denver on Sunday even though we have yet to that this season.  I actually believe we can beat any of the teams in the Summit.  However, the chances of that are pretty slim.  That said, I do think we are improving and yes we did do better this year than last year.  Heck, if we just win one game in this year's Tourney we are way ahead of where we were last year.  Arguably we already are better than last year which gives me great satisfaction.  I also think we will continue to improve going into the future.  It was time for a Regime change and I am glad it occurred.

GO GOLDEN EAGLES!

Ruder has never been a good 3pt shooter.  He shot 40% once,that was his freshman year.   And he is horrible defensively.  When they play man he is constantly getting beat.  And very slow to rotate in the zone.

• Upvote 1