Is it just me...? v2.0

Old Titan

...but in response to this new avatar on the Men's Basketball twitter account, is it really a good idea to reduce your school's initials to roughly 5% of your logo?

5a8f02086f9dc_ORUbasketballlogo.jpg.701263eec2b2732b79b4ce3481a0dc3f.jpg

NOTE:  It's a rhetorical question; I can assure you it's a HORRIBLE idea.  :fubar:

Assuming a competent social media team started the account, typically the school name is already prominently featured in the username and display name (which is the case for ORU basketball).  

So no, it’s not a horrible idea  

5 hours ago, WingMaaaan said:

Assuming a competent social media team started the account, typically the school name is already prominently featured in the username and display name (which is the case for ORU basketball).  

So no, it’s not a horrible idea  

Yeah - it actually is.

I’ve seen the graphic standards manual for the new logo: Johnie Hampton and the good folks at Hampton Creative would/will throw a fit if/when they see that version. 

As well they should.  Your new expensive logo shouldn’t be watered down so much as to require supplementation by usernames, captions, etc. to get the job done.

It should be strong enough to stand on its own, in any version and application. 

This is meaningless but because you’re clueless I’ll carry on. 

A good brand book should include several usage examples. This list may include:

• The wordmark
  • The logo mark
  • The lockup mark

You get the point…  

And in some cases, these guidelines will include usage examples for specific social media use. It’s not watered down, so much as it’s intelligent usage principals. That said, if this logo arrangement is indeed outside of the brand guidelines, I would not be surprised. Clients do that all the time and it’s frustrating. 

But that doesn’t mean it’s a “horrible” idea because, for Twitter, the more important version of the logo is one showcasing the logo mark, not the wordmark. IMO, the entire mark should have gone through another stage of refinement. Perhaps if they had, there would have been a clearer usage case to accomplish what the ORU social media team was trying to accomplish with their avatar. 

Bottom line is good design contextualizes usage. We don’t live in an era of branding that has the luxury of ignoring the platforms we use to communicate with our patrons. Thus I wouldn’t look at twitter/fb/ig/etc as something supplementing the logo as much as it’s a natural extension of the branding. I'll admit it’s not the best idea but it's definitely not a horrible idea either.  Hopefully, Johnie and the team don't throw a fit about it. :wiking:

Don't want to get in the middle of something here, but I'd agree that the logo above doesn't make sense for Twitter. It just looks weird. The "ORU" either needs to be larger, or eliminated entirely and just focus on the Eagle. Then again, I'm no social media/branding expert.

2 hours ago, WingMaaaan said:

This is meaningless but because you’re clueless I’ll carry on. 

A good brand book should include several usage examples. This list may include:

• The wordmark
  • The logo mark
  • The lockup mark

You get the point…  

And in some cases, these guidelines will include usage examples for specific social media use. It’s not watered down, so much as it’s intelligent usage principals. That said, if this logo arrangement is indeed outside of the brand guidelines, I would not be surprised. Clients do that all the time and it’s frustrating. 

But that doesn’t mean it’s a “horrible” idea because, for Twitter, the more important version of the logo is one showcasing the logo mark, not the wordmark. IMO, the entire mark should have gone through another stage of refinement. Perhaps if they had, there would have been a clearer usage case to accomplish what the ORU social media team was trying to accomplish with their avatar. 

Bottom line is good design contextualizes usage. We don’t live in an era of branding that has the luxury of ignoring the platforms we use to communicate with our patrons. Thus I wouldn’t look at twitter/fb/ig/etc as something supplementing the logo as much as it’s a natural extension of the branding. I'll admit it’s not the best idea but it's definitely not a horrible idea either.  Hopefully, Johnie and the team don't throw a fit about it. :wiking:

Just went through this exercise while personally designing a new logo and rebranding 170 of our stores in 10 states across the country.

But, I'm "clueless", so what do I know...

I'm not so much opposed to it being used in a smaller, "watered down" version, I just think, personally, the placement is horrible....

why not put it directly below the eagle where all that empty space is?! 

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...
On 2/22/2018 at 11:48 AM, Old Titan said:

...but in response to this new avatar on the Men's Basketball twitter account, is it really a good idea to reduce your school's initials to roughly 5% of your logo?

5a8f02086f9dc_ORUbasketballlogo.jpg.701263eec2b2732b79b4ce3481a0dc3f.jpg

NOTE:  It's a rhetorical question; I can assure you it's a HORRIBLE idea.  :fubar:

did they see your post about the "ORU" being too small?

eagle9.png.fb154f0ad3a398a600815069b4c45baa.png

Hey, if I'm the only one who reacted negatively to that basketball avatar, then it's a hopeless cause.

But, this really DOES look better - props to whoever was responsible.

And, if some day they tweak the bird's bill so it's actually a golden eagle and not a sparrow hawk, I might actually approach something along the lines of being happy.

But don't hold your breath - LOL.

• Upvote 1

I may have missed a previous comment on this, but the gold bird on the huge gold basketball was also horrendous.