Is it just me...?

Old Titan

...or should coaches on the ORU payroll maybe have a separate Twitter account to gush about other D-1 basketball programs?

I mean, for crying out loud:  recruits and signees can see those tweets, Coach! 

Understandable maybe in November & December when you're a little homesick for the "big time", but still in February??

Bad enough having to put up with the annual Athletic Department staff tweets all football season long about their alma maters, but this hits a little closer to home being men's basketball. #smh

• Upvote 2

I completely agree.  The ORU twitter feed should NOT be used to make positive comments about other D-1 basketball programs.  Maybe there should be less focus on what Baylor is doing and more focus on trying to get your current team to play up to their potential, which to be honest is definitely NOT happening right now.

• Upvote 1

chalk it up to young coach adjusting to his first job away from the alma mater.

i blame the athletic dept for not having a social media policy not Coach Patterson. 

this is just like a few years ago when i complained on here about the ORU athletics employees whose twitter accounts identified them as ORU employees in their bio but looked like Ok State fan accounts with their header and avatar pics.

I guess I'm in the minority but I don't mind it for now. The ex-BU coaches that are here now contributed to that success, and support their former colleagues. And as to recruiting, I think if anything it probably helps to remind recruits of that connection to success, especially as they try to rebuild here. As we get a year or two away from that, I would certainly like to see it go away.

52 minutes ago, TrueBlue82 said:

Doesn't really bother me - and I think if we were 20-10 that it probably wouldn't bother others as well.

If ORU was 20-10, I’m guessing most of the tweets they “favorited” would be about potential job openings.

So a coach isn't allowed to compliment another program?  You do realize it happens all the time right?  This must be an over sensitive bunch.

Not like this they don’t. 

Not their former employer of less than 12 months ago, and not someone they should be recruiting against in Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, etc. 

And ESPECIALLY not with a Twitter handle with “ORU” in it.

Sorry, “Parent” (or assistant coach, or WAG, or whoever you are In the inner circle):  it’s simply bad form. 

Period. 

Not sure this is as black and white as some are making it.  He obviously has an emotional tie back to his previous school with many close relationships.  It hasn't even been a year, has it? 

If it's the recruiting you're concerned about, I really don't see ORU competing with Baylor for recruits at this point.  Maybe in a few years, if all goes well, but right now I'd give coach Patterson a pass on this issue.  

Fine.

Go Bears. 

Sic' Em. 

Incredible culture at Baylor to be promoting under an ORU twitter handle.  No issues there whatsoever.

Love me some Scott Drew; way back to when he was fixing transcripts for all those Euros at Valpo.  That flyer he distributed downing Hall Of Fame coaches was another stellar move.  Well played.

ORU should never aspire to signing anyone a Big XII school is considering, anyway.  The Golden Eagles can realize all their dreams signing unrecruited, border-line D-1 players.  It's been working great for the past decade.  Know your place in the world, I say.

I'm out (seriously, this is it - I'm done).

Old Titan - Think you may be taking this too far.  Like I said, at this point, not a major issue.  However, as ORU(and coaches/staff) gets further along in this rebuild, & further away from their Baylor ties, it would be a big issue.  We all hope some day we are competing with their recruits.  That's the ultimate goal!

If we're down the road three years & coach Patterson, is still doing this, yea, it's a big issue then!

This is a big issue.  He earns his paycheck from ORU and this is an ORU twitter handle.  There is no reason to be pumping up another team on an ORU twitter account.  It doesn’t make sense and I have to question his judgment in doing so.  What if Baylor is on the schedule next year?  Who will he be rooting for?  Will he game plan as well as he should?  When he recruits does he have the confidence in ORU to sell the program or does he wish he was coaching at Baylor?  His devotion should be 100% to ORU and any comment like that makes me wonder and could make future recruits wonder.

I get it if a guy wants to congratulate a former employer on a big win, no problem there. Likewise, congratulating a former player that has had success in the NBA is a great thing. However, when he comments on his former school's season like he is a fan of the team, and goes out of the way to pay them compliments, then it raises questions about his loyalties. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm with Old Titan on this one. The university pays a lot of money to coaches in comparison to what the average American family makes and they should be ALL IN at the university where they are employed.

Well, the current staff is recruiting based largely off of their association to the success as Baylor.  And I hate to break it to yall, but we aren't competitive with Baylor for recruits.  Not right now anyway.

Regardless of all that, basketball coaches are a community.  Recruits and their families love to see that you have tight connections to other successful coaches.  Waaaay too much is being made of this.