2018-19 Men's BasketballRoster

74Titan

Basketball recruiting is so crazy nowadays... it's really year to year.  You see a lot of schools in the tournament playing 7 guys because they can't keep a deep bench on scholarship.  Nobody with talent wants to be a 9th or 10th player. 

Btw, there is tons of smoke that both Daum and Konchar will be grad transferring to P5 schools (if not going pro).

• 4 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, Idig32 said:

So, do we have one more scholarship left after the Lacis commitment?

I believe there are 3 scholarships left...

BUT my guess would be that 1 or 2 scholarships are saved for next year since ORU will have no seniors coming into the 2018-19 season.

Yep, 3 open by my count.  5 returners and 5 freshman .  I know there are several offers out to jucos.  So my assumption is no more freshman.  Either vets or we we save the ship. 

So, I guess I missed the announcement(s) from ORU that anyone has actually signed a letter-of-intent during this signing period?

1 hour ago, ORUParentLurker said:

I saw somewhere Lacis signed. Don't remember where.

See, I'm not sure you (or anyone else) actually has.

I think you saw a social media post from Francis Lacis saying that he has committed to ORU.

Which was then shared by one (or more) of the ORU Basketball social media accounts, plus a couple of European recruiting sites and a handful of fans.

And which, coming as it does from a foreign teenager, is worth about as much as Enron stock until he signs, qualifies, and attends classes.

He's on or has been on campus... so I would assume he has signed but not officially announced yet.

10 hours ago, ORUParentLurker said:

Those tweets clearly say "signed". :)

And they clearly are NOT official sources. 

Look, I’m sure he’s probably locked up, but until he is actually locked up, he is NOT locked up.

”Know what I’m sayin’??” 

He signed! http://www.oruathletics.com/sports/mbkb/2017-18/releases/20180424fvllye 

I'm pretty excited about Mills (or I guess Patterson) getting these Euro guys. It makes a lot of sense, given the style of play in the Summit League. Really college basketball in general seems to be moving towards putting more of a premium on skills guys, and less on big, lumbering players.

OK, NOW it's official. :-D

Next steps: 

• Qualifying academically with a Latvian transcript.

• Making sure he hasn't been financially compensated at some point in his Euro career.

• Hoping he doesn't sign with some low-level international pro team between now and August.

And if you think I'm dreaming this stuff up, EVERY ONE of these factors has affected an ORU signee from overseas in the past. 

(And I'm trying to think of the last international signee who fulfilled his collegiate eligibility at ORU - Luke Spencer-Gardner a decade ago?)

I remember when Cameron Tragard only made it through his freshman season before signing with an Australian team several years ago.  Hopefully a degree is important to Francis.

Yeah....Surrrrre......:shake::-D:rofl::-D:shake:

1 hour ago, Old Titan said:

OK, NOW it's official. :-D

Next steps: 

• Qualifying academically with a Latvian transcript.

• Making sure he hasn't been financially compensated at some point in his Euro career.

• Hoping he doesn't sign with some low-level international pro team between now and August.

And if you think I'm dreaming this stuff up, EVERY ONE of these factors has affected an ORU signee from overseas in the past. 

(And I'm trying to think of the last international signee who fulfilled his collegiate eligibility at ORU - Luke Spencer-Gardner a decade ago?)

I think LSG is the answer. Mikey Manghum (UK) played 3 seasons but not his senior year.

23 hours ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

I think LSG is the answer. Mikey Manghum (UK) played 3 seasons but not his senior year.

And I'm pretty sure Mikey was a walk-on.  Great guy; decided to focus on getting his degree and supporting his young family.

As if you couldn't tell, I'm not a huge fan of signing European or South American players to a low-major D1 program like ORU.

Their "buy-in" to the program is typically suspect, particularly considering it's a private Christian school that requires living in a dormitory your entire career.  They tend to leave early and often, for whatever reason.

Signees from Africa and the English empire have historically been exceptions to this rule; not at all sure why...