TW: Ex-NBA, ORU player Larry Owens starts new career at Webster

Dr. Cornelius

Good article in the Tulsa World on Larry Owens assisting with the Webster HS basketball program.

During the previous 12 basketball seasons, former Oral Roberts University standout Larry Owens played in an NCAA Tournament, for three NBA teams, the Tulsa 66ers and for pro teams in France, Belgium, Turkey, Mexico and Japan.

This season, Owens can be found most days in Webster High School’s Bill Allen Field House, where he will be on Saturday night as a Warriors assistant coach when they host Locust Grove in a Class 4A playoff opener.

“I’m very lucky to have him here,” Webster head coach Scott Bowman said. “He’s great with the kids. They are very comfortable with him and he communicates with them very well.”

Those kids, whether it’s the Webster players or students he teaches as he assists his wife, Amaya, in Physical Education classes at the high school and middle school, are curious about his NBA career that included playing in 19 regular-season games with the San Antonio Spurs, Washington Wizards and New Jersey Nets over the 2010-11 and ’11-12 seasons...

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

TheEagleman met Larry Owens at an ORU game about 6-7 years ago when we played USTA at Stillwater....he was sitting behind me and OKCEagle....Larry is a very nice guy....wish him the best....those were some really good ORU teams with him, DoMo, Robert Jarvis and Kevin Ford.....:geek:

• 1 month later...

Uhhh, LO played with Ken Tutt and Caleb Green.  They were fantastic...Don't think he played with that bunch you mentioned.  They came along later. 

• Upvote 1

On 3/20/2018 at 4:34 PM, ORob1 said:

Uhhh, LO played with Ken Tutt and Caleb Green.  They were fantastic...Don't think he played with that bunch you mentioned.  They came along later. 

Maybe he misspoke (in writing) LOL. 

Sorry...my bad....thought LO came around later....still a really good player and a nice guy....I must have been drinking when I wrote that.....:drunk: