South Dakota at ORU

theeagleman5

14 hours ago, Old Titan said:

I hate that we've had to resort to this sort of "for-a-fat-girl-she-doesn't-sweat-much" rationalization at the end of recent seasons, instead of discussing possible first-round byes or what regional ORU might be assigned to. :doh:

I liked what Bontrager said on one of the recent game broadcasts.  He said he was talking to one of the players about where the team was at and their reply was "we are just trying to get ready for the league tournament."

Bontrager then said to Big Al --- teams that are playing to try and get ready for the tournament never do anything in the tournament.

-----------------------

I love having Bontrager's honesty back on the game telecast......hope he is back next year with whoever replaces Big Al.

• Like 1

On 2/18/2018 at 9:33 AM, Old Titan said:

Everything you said may very well be true. 

But none of it seems to explain the point I was trying to make:  why the TEAM appears to play better (and with better results) when RJ is on the floor at the point.

Again, I go back to chemistry, and the old “the whole equaling more than the sum of the parts” cliche. 

Its like Andre Roberson for the OKC Thunder. In terms of individual stats, he’s a hot mess, but the team just performs better with him in the lineup. 

The difference is Andre Roberson is 6'7" and an all NBA Defender while rarely attempting more than 4 shots a game... RJ is doing exactly whats expected of a freshman.. up and down but showing signs of potential. 

Things have just totally fallen apart on the defensive end. In those first 3 Summit games, opponent FG% was .389, in the eight losses since it was a whopping .526.

I think we saw the wheels fall off in real time during the game in Fargo. I actually think ORU played decent defense on the perimeter, but it seems like all of the Bison points were scored off fadeaway 3's with under 5 seconds on the shot clock. Then they have to go back to South Dakota 3 days later and that was that. The zone was busted.

The team played well with Ruder in the last two games in Malibu and most of the game at K-State. There are just too many issues that still need to be addressed.

On February 17, 2018 at 8:58 PM, TrueBlue82 said:

Call me crazy (as many have), but I actually think ORU's best option avaiable in the Summit tourney is as the 7 seed.  If we are the 6 or 5, we have a better chance at an opening round win, but then would (likely) have to play the #1 or #2 the next night while they are fresh from a day of rest.  Very poor odds for ORU in that game.

I think our better route is to take on the #2 (either USD or SDSU), and hope that they have first round jitters and that the crowd doesn't show up as they are expecting an easy win.  It's a long shot. but we have a better chance in this opening round game than in the second round scenario above.  And, if we DO win the opening round, then WE get the day of rest, and have a better chance for a second round upset.

Of course, this is all moot unless the team from late December/early January surfaces again... 

I think the crowd will be there in full force on Saturday.  

Game #1- USD's women

Game #2-  SDSU's women vs. either NDSU or Omaha's women.

Game #3- Either USD or SDSU's men

Game #4- Either USD  or SDSU's men vs. possibly NDSU or Omaha's men if ORU isn't the 7 seed.

All of those game shouldn't be close but there will be a South Dakota team in every game. If SDSU's women's game goes long (2:30-4:30) and some of the fans leave to eat, they might not be back in time for the first mens game(6PM) if SDSU is in it though.  

Omaha is about 3 hours from Sioux Falls and NDSU is only about 4 hours from Sioux Falls so six of the eight teams that are within about a 4 hour drive will probably play on Saturday.  Omaha and NDSU don't really follow their teams really well early in the tournament though (of course that always depends on how your team is doing)!