SDSU at ORU

theeagleman5

ORU battled the Jacks for 40 minutes up in SD last month in a 3 point loss but has changed since then....we went into that game undefeated but have only won 1 Summit game since then and that one took a 25 foot desperation toss at the buzzer on Thursday night that capped what was basically a lackluster performance....TheEagleman doesn't expect much to change in 48 hours when we take the court tomorrow night....the Jacks come in to Mabee Center in first place in the Summit with a 21-6 overall record and a lot of swagger....not sure if our win last night will generate much confidence but maybe it does.....maybe we can play with them for a while....but I don't see it for 40 minutes.....SDSU is an early 6 point favorite but that probably wont be enough...we just turn it over far too often and our long range shooting has been substandard....we need to try to pound it inside against these guys like we did in Brookings but that part of the game has been missing for the past few weeks....I would expect too much Daum and just not enough points scored by ORU to win.....we would need E-Man and Javan to reappear and play big games.....need better ball protection from our guards and need some good D vs. Daum.....but TheEagleman just can't envision any of that coming true on Saturday night so I reluctantly have to say it will be South Dakota State over ORU by something like 86-74....:unsure: :eagles::unsure:

Line still holding at SDSU -6....probably a good night for TheEagleman just to lay off....unless there is a major shift in that number....if I had to take a side it would be the Jacks....but I rarely bet against ORU at home....our record at Mabee Center over the past dozen seasons is really good......:geek:

It’s going to take 2-3 years of improved recruiting to fix this.

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

It’s going to take 2-3 years of improved recruiting to fix this.

same problem Sutton had last year........Mills has to upgrade his guards

one other thing Mills needs to learn.  this not a league of athletes where there 2 to 3 players on the court ,that can't make jump shots.  most nights in this league, 1 through 5 can knock down open 3's.  there is a reason most teams don't rely on zone as their primary defense in this league.

4 minutes ago, ORUalum said:

...most nights in this league, 1 through 5 can knock down open 3's.  there is a reason most teams to rely on zone as their primary defense in this league.

Well, other teams can.

This is a butt kicking....Where is Fuqua tonight???..:unsure:

well, it looks better in the boxscore than it actually was.  it will go down as a 10 pt loss, but that was a tail kicking.

i'm guessing the SDSU fans will not like Bontrager throwing shade on Daum's NBA potential there towards the end of the game.

1 minute ago, ORUalum said:

well, it looks better in the boxscore than it actually was.  it will go down as a 10 pt loss, but that was a tail kicking.

i'm guessing the SDSU fans will not like Bontrager throwing shade on Daum's NBA potential there towards the end of the game.

They should’ve loved everything else he had to say about the Jacks, man he was gushing over them all night, if I was a casual fan watching I would’ve guessed it was a SDSU broadcast!

6 minutes ago, ORUalum said:

Daum’s best shot at getting an NBA shot is playing at Wisconsin or KU for a year.

• Upvote 1

for the record if anyone did not watch ---  Bontrager was very complimentary of his talent, he just did not think he had the length or athleticism to play the stretch 4 in the NBA.  he said he will make a ton of money in Europe and referenced Caleb still make nice money over there.

to Doc C's point above --- Al asked what he could do to get better for the next level.  Bontrager said he needed to be in a gym this summer and next year surrounded by and going against NBA players.  Bontrager said you just can't do that in South Dakota.

14 minutes ago, ORUIllini said:

They should’ve loved everything else he had to say about the Jacks, man he was gushing over them all night, if I was a casual fan watching I would’ve guessed it was a SDSU broadcast!

in his defense, there was not a lot to gush about when it came to ORU's play

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, ORUalum said:

for the record if anyone did not watch ---  Bontrager was very complimentary of his talent, he just did not think he had the length or athleticism to play the stretch 4 in the NBA.  he said he will make a ton of money in Europe and referenced Caleb still make nice money over there.

to Doc C's point above --- Al asked what he could do to get better for the next level.  Bontrager said he needed to be in a gym this summer and next year surrounded by and going against NBA players.  Bontrager said you just can't do that in South Dakota.

Yes Steve was very complimentary, SDSU was having a good night and Steve Bontrager apparently was a very good free throw shooter. Your records say 88%. If Daum is thinking NBA, he may be wearing red next year and living in a town called Madison and not Madison SD, about 40 miles from Brookings SD. Daum does have a connection with Wisconsin in that one of Nagy's former assistants is an assistant at Wisconsin. Joe Krabbenhoft  played his college ball at Wisconsin. As far as Steve's comments, they are fair and its a very hard task to make the NBA. Case in point Nate Wolters. I am not a bigot or racist, but I fear the that comment that "White men can not jump" applies in both cases. Their talent is just not good enough. Overseas, I think Daum will make some very good money. Otz our coach has my confidence 100 percent. He is redshirting 5 freshman this year  and David Jenkins JR. is our future, though he did not look all that great last night.

As far as ORU, you do have some talent and your coach is going to do a good job. I expect a very close game in Sioux Falls if SDSU and ORU paths cross again.

On 2/9/2018 at 7:32 PM, theeagleman5 said:

so I reluctantly have to say it will be South Dakota State over ORU by something like 86-74....:unsure: :eagles::unsure:

Pretty good handicapping, Eagleman... I hope you put your money where your mouth was!  :-D

As a matter of fact, I did.....TheEagleman decided about 90 minutes before tip off to bet with his head and not his heart and in a big way....I expected a high scoring double digit win for the Jacks that that was what came about.....so I teased SDSU and the over for a huge win and also took SDSU straight up -6.....it was pretty much no sweat from the beginning.....ORU misfortune has become my fortune this season....I have lost a couple but mostly huge wins and I expect that trend to continue.....this team has become a train wreck the past month but I do see some reasons for optimism in the future....ORU is inexperienced and we have a smart young coach and it takes time to get his system in....he's still going with Suttons' players for the most part....give him a couple of good recruiting classes and I think ORU will greatly improve but it may take 2-3 years as mentioned above....we also need smarter non conference scheduling so the team isn't beat up mentally by Christmas.....that said, I don't think we are going to win another game this season....I just can't see it....that means we will see SDSU or SD in the opener at Sioux Falls and that won't be pretty....anybody know what happened with RJ last night??.....not that he would have made a big difference....:|