E. Texas Baptist vs. ORU

theeagleman5

9 hours ago, theeagleman5 said:

Took long enough for ORU to take control....glad to see that Albert can dominate a small D-2 team....but I guess we will take the win....its been too long...and the bench players got to see some action...:eagles:

I am glad to see ORU MBB program can dominate a d3, d2 or d1 team. I am glad to see AJ move up on the all time block list and reach 500 rebounds.However MBB is a team sport and I am 100 percent sure he only cares about the win.The bench players are seeing action, ORU bench is playing well this year. The bench this year is very strong.When was the last time ORU had two guys come off the bench and achieve a double double. I am new to this site, where do I go to read what people think need to happen during the second half of the season for us to end strong. 

Welcome to the board, ORUMBB....it's ORU all the time here....good to get back in the W column last night and the Good Guys are now a lusty 8-15 on the season....52 points from the bench last night ain't shabby....that's a great contribution from the Pine Boys and surely got us the victory....we need more of that!.....TheEagleman agrees we should blast Nebraska Christian (who?) on Saturday night for win #9....still hard for me to believe that this team can win more than one Summit game the rest of the season...we could possibly beat WIU on the road and maybe NDSU here....so maybe we get to 11 wins....but I think any more than 5-9 in the Summit is unlikely....we always Expect a Miracle but 7-7 isn't gonna happen and depending on the draw we are likely one and done in Sioux Falls.....but TheEagleman is getting ahead of himself and we will just take the games one at a time....Nebraska Christian up next so bring it on!....:eagles:

The last two games we went almost exclusively man to man in the 2nd half and even started showing 3/4 court pressure quite a bit.   I"m always the optimist.  So I'll choose to believe this recent slump is going to be a good thing because it's forcing the staff to switch things up.  I know everyone pays attention to offensive numbers exclusively but really the 4 game losing streak was squarely on the back of the defense.  Its easy to criticize effort and execution.  But sometimes the other guys just have you figured out.  There are very good coaches in this league.  And I think the majority of our roster is capable of playing solid man to man and not letting teams run their offense so comfortably.

It is a fundamental problem when your most popular players are also your worst defensive players (according to synergy stats).  It takes a REALLY brave coach to make any changes when you  are winning.  So losing forces the hand a bit.  I'm pretty sure everyone involved just wants to win.

On 1/23/2018 at 11:53 AM, ORU2017grad said:

I watch tons of college games.  I have seen OBU, SNU OC, Southeastern, East Central, UCO and Southwestern play this year in person.  We beat Rogers State by 6 points in our first exhibition game.  There is not much difference between a lower DI school and a DII basketball team except attendance is probably better at most of those schools.  I will admit the HOF crowd was one of the better crowds of the year.  How many DII's have you seen this year?   

I agree there is typically not much of a difference between a low D1 and a high D2.  In fact, most successful D2 rosters are made up of kids who started as D1 players and transferred.  Rogers had a bunch of D1 kids.  Southern Nazarene is an outlier a bit because of the unusual size they have.  They probably did as a good of a job of neutralizing our rebounding as anyway we've played all season.

All that being said, we aren't "an average D2 team".  That's pretty self loathing and disrespectful to the players and coaches.  Coach Mills is a God fearing man who weighs maybe 150 lbs and he'd probably punch you in the face if you said this to him.  Losing to a D2 is embarrassing sure.  Auburn lost to a D2 this season.  But its not an indictment of the players or coaches by any means.  If you think we are that bad what does that say about all the teams we've handled?  They must be D3 level programs.

• Upvote 1

On 1/23/2018 at 2:38 PM, I am Eli said:

Look, we know ORU basketball is not where it once was, but Paul is making strides to change that and anyone who watches the games can see that. This team went through one of the toughest non-conference schedules in the country and plays in one toughest mid-major conferences in the country. Not including the fact that ORU budget for recruiting, travel, etc, is one of the smallest in the country, especially when you play schools with major FCS football programs. If you watched the games, you would know this team is a couple plays away from a 12-10 record. Scheduling the small teams of ETBU and Nebraska Christian isn't to fluff stats, that is on IUPUI screwing the Summit League. 

:thumbs-up:

Coach Mills is making progress. This isn't an overnight fix and I like what I'm seeing so far.

10 hours ago, ORUParentLurker said:

I agree there is typically not much of a difference between a low D1 and a high D2.  In fact, most successful D2 rosters are made up of kids who started as D1 players and transferred.  Rogers had a bunch of D1 kids.  Southern Nazarene is an outlier a bit because of the unusual size they have.  They probably did as a good of a job of neutralizing our rebounding as anyway we've played all season.

All that being said, we aren't "an average D2 team".  That's pretty self loathing and disrespectful to the players and coaches.  Coach Mills is a God fearing man who weighs maybe 150 lbs and he'd probably punch you in the face if you said this to him.  Losing to a D2 is embarrassing sure.  Auburn lost to a D2 this season.  But its not an indictment of the players or coaches by any means.  If you think we are that bad what does that say about all the teams we've handled?  They must be D3 level programs.

Keep drinking the cool aid.  ETBU is a D3 school and offers no athletic scholarships.  We were ahead by 5 points after 30 minutes of play.  Glad we went on a huge run to put them away.  Glad your impressed with the 150 lb coach.  Jury is still out for me.  Can he recruit?  Can he relate to players?   

39 minutes ago, ORU2017grad said:

Keep drinking the cool aid.  ETBU is a D3 school and offers no athletic scholarships.  We were ahead by 5 points after 30 minutes of play.  Glad we went on a huge run to put them away.  Glad your impressed with the 150 lb coach.  Jury is still out for me.  Can he recruit?  Can he relate to players?   

Holy smokes, lets not get carried away here. Javan White is leading this Division 1 conference in rebounding and at one point was a top 20 offensive rebounder in the country. Emmanuel Nzekwesi is number 5 in the Summit league for rebounding and top 10 in steals along with Fuqua. Sam Kearns is leading the Summit in assists per game. Albert Owens is second in the conference in blocked shots. Mills was extremely liberal with substitutions for those first 30 minutes of the game. And the better athletes wore the opposing team down. Nobody is saying ORU is a D1 mid major powerhouse anymore, but to say that this team is an average d2 team is honestly quite outrageous..

• Upvote 2