Potential NCAA Transfer Rule Changes

Dr. Cornelius

Seems to be a major push to change the rules pertaining to transfers sitting out one year...

More transfer talk at the NCAA convention. South Dakota State AD Justin Sell, the chair of the transfer working group, faced some hard questions at the DI issues forum about the one-time transfer exception -- which is not yet part of any proposal. NC State AD Debbie Yow suggested that tampering would be rampant if transfers were granted immediate eligibility and estimated that the number of transfers across DI would more than double. She described the scenario as "a free for all, something that we've never seen before." Sell urged patience and promised that his group would use caution as it works to devise a proposal next month.

An unintended consequence of this potential change is the shrinking of the overall scholarship pool. If low and mid majors become a farm system for the Power 5 we could see a lot of programs potentially dropping to D2/NAIA or even dropping athletic programs entirely.

The committee kicked the proverbial can down the road:  this proposed rule change has been tabled until 2019:

I wish they could somehow keep it linked to academic achievement. The grad transfer option makes some sense to me. The athlete has finished their four year degree but still has a year of eligibility left. There's no real reason to keep them from transferring to another university at that point. Isn't that typically the way it works with normal grad students? They finish their bachelor's then they often move to another college for a graduate degree. 

If they give athletes the option of transferring without sitting out, I would want them to have to meet certain academic qualifications before they can use the option. For example, they could require that a minimum of 60 credit hours of coursework be completed at the original institution before they have the option of transferring without sitting out. This would be similar to requiring the athlete to complete an Associates Degree before transferring without penalty. It's doubtful this would ever happen I know, but maybe it would help.   

• Upvote 1

To me this only makes sense if they link the transfer to coaching staff movement OR a personal family situation (which you can already do).  I hate the idea of kids just moving because they aren't getting PT or because the coach yelled at them and some other coach continued to recruit.  I know this already happens but there is at least some deterrent.  However, if your HC gets fired or leaves for another job I think a player should be able to stay or leave without consequence.