ORU at South Dakota

ORUTerry

The Golden Eagles take on South Dakota Wednesday evening in Vermillion, SD. The Coyotes are 15-5 on the season and 3 -1 in Summit League play. Their only conference loss is to North Dakota State at home 84 to 79.

Some notable games for South Dakota:

Won at Bowling Green: 88 to 79

Lost at TCU:  71 to 76

Beat Southern Mississippi at home:  84 to 71

Lost at Duke:  80 to 96

Won at home against Drake:  93 to 65

Lost at UCLA:  82 to 85

In conference games they are shooting 40.9% from the field and 29.1% from the 3-point line (23 of 79). They have a +5.6 rebounding margin and are scoring 72.8 points per game.

Morning line is ORU +10....TheEagleman isn't very optimistic that we can win this one....tough three game trip and I was hoping we could steal one but looks like we blew our shot at SDSU last Thursday night.....The Coyotes are real good and are going to one of the teams to beat in Sioux Falls.....I think ORU can hang around if we don't take a lot of bad long range shots and pound the ball inside....control the boards....everything will have to break right and we need big games from the entire starting five....hopefully, the team is rested and ready for a big effort....if we play like we did for most of the game at Brookings, we can do this.....but I just can't see this being a W....hope I am wrong.....South Dakota wins it 84-75.....:doh::eagles:

Line has dropped this afternoon to SD -9.5 and the O/U is 147.5.....so TheEagleman is thinking of teasing the Coyotes with the Over....so I only give up 3.5 points and O/U is 141.5.....that sounds pretty good....hoping ORU can score the upset but not counting on it...the alternative is to take ORU + 15.5......that is also tempting but this SD team is really good....tough decision....i definitely like the Over because this total should exceed 150....any advice???....  :geek:

Somebody in the Summit League finally watched that Ark video.  ORU guards can not deal with pressure.....speed up the offense......turnovers and quick shots.

They also had a week to work on ORU's zone.....they absolutely sliced it up.

Can Mills make adjustments at half?  

Advantage Coyote coaches big in that first half.

So, let's see.  We're playing a zone defense while they're playing a ball-hawking man-on-man full-court pressure defense.  This would normally lead to more fouls for them and more FT's for us.  And at halftime, we have attempted two FT's to their 15.  The twelve point differential at the foul line is the exact score differential. 

No doubt, they are definitely carving up our defense and we can't handle their press, but that should lead to a high FG percentage for them and a high number of turnovers for us (which are both accurate).  But the fouls and FT differential looks to me like whistle-happy refs who penalize any height advantage.

Going to be VERY difficult to come back in this one, especially if the same zebras participate in the second half! :(

I knew ORU was in trouble when I saw that one Nordic Nazi ref that only seems to call Golden Eagle games in the Dakotas, and only calls fouls on black guys  

What’s his name again - he ejected Scott Sutton one game up there before?

Mills needs to pick up a T AND address this post game. Every time we play these Dakota schools they clutch, grab, & shove all game with zero repercussions. If ORU attempts to rebound *FOUL

Pretty rough officiating. Either way though they’re easily breaking down our defense and stifling our offense. Tough one to watch. 

12 minutes ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

Mills needs to pick up a T AND address this post game. Every time we play these Dakota schools they clutch, grab, & shove all game with zero repercussions. If ORU attempts to rebound *FOUL

RJ got it for him. 

Seriously, these refs aren’t terrible (which is sometimes forgivable, since it cuts both ways).

These guys appear to have an agenda, which is incredibly frustrating for players and coaches alike. 

Mills just got his “T” during the 8-minute media timeout. 

Which, in terms of things of any value to bring back from Vermillion (SD), probably ranks right up there. 

Expected a 0-3 trip, but really discouraged by the last game and a half.

USD had the superior game plan, execution, effort, etc.

For whatever reason, this team took a giant step backwards with the return of Ruder.

Mills and company need to get home and figure some things out before Denver comes to town for HOF night.

3 minutes ago, ORUalum said:

Expected a 0-3 trip, but really discouraged by the last game and a half.

USD had the superior game plan, execution, effort, etc.

For whatever reason, this team took a giant step backwards with the return of Ruder.

Mills and company need to get home and figure some things out before Denver comes to town for HOF night.

Respectfully disagree. Saw a lot of good signs these last three games. Just a brutal twist of fate to play the top 3 teams in the league all in a row on the road. 

Like I said after the WIU game to go 3-0:  ORU was headed to a 3-3 record, and the true test would be the next 8 games.

Win the remaining home games, split the road games, and you finish the league slate a very respectable 9-5. 

9-5 seems pie in the sky.....7-7 would be very respectable in the first year of a complete rebuild (5-2 at home and 2-5 on the road)

These teams are just getting a first look at that zone with the initial swing thru the league........we've already seen vast improvement from the Summit as they have gotten more tape of it.

Yep....easy win for me tonight with SD and Over.....and TheEagleman didn't get to watch tonight but sounds like that A-hole Yorkovich the anti-ORU official didn't just have it out for Coach Sutton....he doesn't like Mills either....that guy has no business on the floor as a D-1 ref....he stinks....sounds like ORU never got it going though....need to regroup and beat Denver on Saturday.....:eagles:

Our front court was bad in this game and the gaurds held their own.  Give credit where it's due.   

Yall do realize a zone defense in and of itself is not good or bad.  You can beat any defense.  We actually put up pretty good numbers against their man coverage.  Our issues on defense were either execution or effort.  When you give up 25 FTs it usually means you are a step slow.

Plus the refs had money on this one.