ORU at North Dakota St.

theeagleman5

The tough loss at SDSU took a lot out of ORU, plus you just had to think there was no way NDSU was going to lose three straight conference home games...

That was scary. Javan goes down holding his knee. Our season looks very different with him on the bench. Thankfully he gets up and walks it off. Hopefully he’s held out for the rest of the game. 

Oru making a run here! Down 5 with just under 6 minutes left. 

Hopefully it doesn't take too long to adjust to a deeper rotation.  I'm surprised Ruder is playing so much basically right off the shelf.

82-64....ouch....Big win for TheEagleman....had NDSU -5.5...:geek:

I love that whoever runs @ORUMBB has abandoned the "Win or lose...." tweets this season.

I was never a fan.

Down 5 with about 5 mins left.  Eman gets and offensive rebound and put back.  The guys had been on a run finally hitting a few shots and getting some stops.  Down 3 right?  Nope, the homie refs call a mysterious foul on the rebound.  Bison ball and they go down and score... ORU run over.  Then the Bison hit a bunch of heat check buckets at the end of shot clocks to make the game look like a blowout.

• Like 1

Not gonna win many games when Fuqua, Kearns and Ruder shoot a combined 8-33.....pathetic....:!:

Poor shooting by ORU the last two games....I get it, during a long season, it's gonna happen...but defense can keep you in those games

After the three great defensive performances to start Summit play, Coach Mills said in one of the post game interviews/conferences, that good defense travels well....I also remember hearing him say earlier this year that usually when you give up 10 3's you're not going to win....

SDSU and NDSU both made 10 3's....two losses....spend all the time you want shooting in practice, but I'm confident that we will see a better defensive performance come next Wednesday at South Dakota....Mills can not be happen with the defense, in this case, it did not travel well

Parentlurker, that over the back foul on Eman was terrible. Even the announcers who were openly pro-NDSU said it was questionable. Weak officiating. It proved to be a turning point in the game. 

Oh well. We knew going into the game that NDSU was going to come ready to play and we were going to struggle coming off a tough loss. On to next week! 

Uhhh, how do I put this delicately without being critical of particular players?

Here goes (clears throat):  "I missed RJ Fuqua being on the floor more in the second half of both games..."

"And, Sam Kearns as well..."

"Actually, I think those two together make a really great backcourt duo, along with three bigs on the floor."

"They are the two best defensive guards, and they don't just jack up every single open "3" that they see."

"Just sayin'..."

Agreed, OT. 

Also, we seem to have fallen in love with shooting the three in the past two games, when the strength of our offense is in the paint.  And, when we miss threes, the caroms tend to bounce over our guys who have blocked out to gain rebounding position. 

That said, we did have several times yesterday where a guard passed up the three and drove towards the basket, only to throw up a wild shot that was usually partially blocked by a defender.  Unless our guards have a clear path to the hoop, they should drive the lane and attempt to draw a defender, so they can pass off to one of our bigs for the score.  This was working well early in the game, but not much after the first 15 minutes. 

• Upvote 1

I am not being critical either but I have thought the same thing the last two games.  After taking a pounding in November and December I though we were starting to jell with the Sam/RJ combo.  Then it seems to me we were starting to move away from that with the reintroduction of Austin back into the rotation these last two games.  While I am not a coach and therefore have to defer to the coaches on that decision, it seems to me that perhaps we go back to the Sam/RJ show and stay there.  My reasoning is that both Sam and RJ have multiple years of eligibility left while Austin is rapidly coming to the end of his career at ORU.  Translated, bring Austin off the bench for short periods of time but in the end stay with Sam/RJ.  They are our future absent one of the new recruits coming in and being that good to start over them.  Austin only has a couple more months with us.  Further, I would rather suffer some loses now and know we are building for the future by utilizing the Sam/RJ team than still losing playing a senior just because he is a senior.  Hopefully this makes sense.

I honestly didn't see a ton of bad shots by our guards (i.e. jacking up shots).  They just didn't hit at a high enough percentage of pretty good looks.  It happens especially on the road (see what ft wayne did against us).  If you focus too much on pounding the ball inside the defense gets real easy to play.  I feel we do that in spurts and it stagnates.  Its better to have guys moving around and looking for open shots all over the court.  Not only might they hit some, but it also gives us good movement for getting in there for offensive boards.  It's really hard to crash the glass when all five guys are standing there watching one player post up.

I also think Sam and RJ will continue to get better.  I have it on good authority that they have green lights to shoot based largely on their performance in practice.  The ability is there.  It's just mentally being able to relax and focus in games consistently.  I REALLY hope it starts this season and there is still time for that.   What you don't want is a bunch of guys afraid to shoot.  That's when the offense goes from inconsistent to just BAD.