ORU at South Dakota St.

ORUTerry

I knew I wasn’t crazy. It went down to the wire like I said it would, we just didn’t come out on top. Very encouraged by how we dominated the paint down the stretch (offensively). We wore them down and kept pounding it inside and they couldn’t stop us. How many points in the paint did we have in the last ten minutes? Love it. 

After tonight I feel justified in believing it’s a race to the championship between us and SDSU. Everyone else is fighting for third place.

Lol at how things have changed in the last 3 months. I’M FULLY ON THE PAUL MILLS BANDWAGON NOW! 

Paul Mills is a really good coach....how is it he never got a decent opportunity prior to ORU??...:!:

Supposedly ORU offered a different Baylor assistant first who turned it down.  Honestly,  I've seen a lot of Baylor over the years and they NEVER came across as tough, smart and unselfish to me.  But that is exactly what this team is.  Granted, sometimes you can have too much talent and egos poison the pudding.  But I'm a big believer in teams taking on the personality of the coach.

We also happen to have several really high character kids.  I've met all of them and there isn't a knucklehead in the group.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, theeagleman5 said:

Paul Mills is a really good coach....how is it he never got a decent opportunity prior to ORU??...:!:

I thought that it was interesting that Paul Mills went over to the officials before the game started and warned the officials about SDSU stealing the tip.  He was coaching his team hard before the game started and coached hard until there was about 4 seconds left.  He was asked if he felt better about how his team stacked up in the Summit League since SDSU was picked to win the conference but he just said we play to win the game.

SDSU didn't shoot as well as they normally do but ORU had their defense playing beyond the 3-point line.  You move the other team further out and put pressure on them and that makes things tougher.  ORU's post players shot about 62% and SDSU did more damage from either outside or spreading the court and Reed driving to the basket.  If ORU's outside shot was falling it might have been a long night for SDSU.

ORU didn't have a turnover in the first half and they only had 4 turnovers in the game(3 until that last throw in).  I know that SDSU' s defense is great/good but you would think that other team would at least mess up once in a half of basketball.  

ORU is a much better team than they were last year and they should only get better as Mills gets more of his players into his system.  It looks like some of you might want to plan a trip up to Sioux Falls March 3rd-6th.  I think ORU might be around for at least 3 days or so.

13 hours ago, Old Titan said:

Ah...he’s not awful, but he’s about to lose his voice  

And if he’s from USD, that would explain why he seems to have no love lost for the Jacks! LOL  

From what I heard, he was doing a good job. Sounded like a pro. The only thing was in the pregame when he pronounced each letter of EOOC instead of saying it as a word. That's when I knew it wasn't anyone from our area.

14 minutes ago, 91jack said:

ORU is a much better team than they were last year and they should only get better as Mills gets more of his players into his system.  It looks like some of you might want to plan a trip up to Sioux Falls March 3rd-6th.  I think ORU might be around for at least 3 days or so.

Enjoy reading your perspective, 91jack. Always interesting to see what opposing fans think of our team. 

2 minutes ago, Idig32 said:

From what I heard, he was doing a good job. Sounded like a pro. The only thing was in the pregame when he pronounced each letter of EOOC instead of saying it as a word. That's when I knew it wasn't anyone from our area.

He was what I would call "serviceable".  Would prefer Adam over the long haul, and not just because of his familiarity with the program.

One thing's for sure:  you always knew the score/time last night, because that guy repeated it at least once every 60 seconds (seriously).  That's old school! :geek:

18 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

He was what I would call "serviceable".  Would prefer Adam over the long haul, and not just because of his familiarity with the program.

One thing's for sure:  you always knew the score/time last night, because that guy repeated it at least once every 60 seconds (seriously).  That's old school! :geek:

that's one of my pet peeves......hate flipping on a game and wanting to yell at the radio after 4 or 5 minutes and no score has been given.

i did not hear his game call, but i listened to his pre and post game and thought the guy did a good job filling in. 

did he ever say if he will have the call on the other games in the road trip?

hate that NDSU lost to Denver.......ORU will get a very motivated squad on Saturday

55 minutes ago, ORUalum said:

that's one of my pet peeves......hate flipping on a game and wanting to yell at the radio after 4 or 5 minutes and no score has been given.

i did not hear his game call, but i listened to his pre and post game and thought the guy did a good job filling in. 

did he ever say if he will have the call on the other games in the road trip?

hate that NDSU lost to Denver.......ORU will get a very motivated squad on Saturday

NDSU has been interesting this conference season.  They are 1-0 away from home.  They beat USD in Vermillion.  They are 0-2 at home this season.  They lost to SDSU and Denver.  

Normally they are darn near impossible to beat at home.  I think they only have about 5 home losses over the last 5 years.  I think only 3 of those losses have come during conference play.

I know that NDSU is at home but I am really interested on how the game will play out on Saturday.  NDSU lost Dexter Warner.  He was a big, physical and energetic player down low.  He is only 6'6"-240 but he had a low center of gravity.  This season they really don't have anybody down low that should be able to compete with your tall athletic posts.  I think you guys will eat them up down low.  Paul Miller will probably get 25 or so but the question is who else (if anybody) will step up.  Against USD, Hunter had 30+ but most games they don't have much else.

SDSU can make shots. They are an impressive offensive team with good balance. And we almost beat them. I think this shows how important the 2/4 seeds are for the conference tournament. There is a chance that their offensive efficiency might wane a bit in their third game of the tournament. Just have to get there.

If my figures are correct, our bench outscored theirs 26 to 0. They don't appear to have much depth beyond the starting five. Or at least they didn't show (or need) it last night.

We did not execute much pick & roll last night for some reason. Holding back some things for the future?

My hunch is a screen and roll action is an option in several of our plays.  If the defense denies a post entry the gaurd can call for a screen instead.  SDSU was letting us post up for most of the game.  Late in the game it shifted and we saw several screen and rolls in a row.  

2 hours ago, ORUParentLurker said:

My hunch is a screen and roll action is an option in several of our plays.  If the defense denies a post entry the gaurd can call for a screen instead.  SDSU was letting us post up for most of the game.  Late in the game it shifted and we saw several screen and rolls in a row.  

It's one thing to have it as an option in the playbook. 

It's quite another for two guys to run it as well as Javan and Sam did there for several possessions in a row down the stretch.

A good pick-and-roll combo is like two good dance partners.  There's a rhythm and a level of communication that separates the good ones from the rest.  Stockton & Malone had it; Parker & Duncan had it; Russell Westbrook still hasn't figured it out. 

The key is the point guard's read on the play; he's like a triple-option quarterback choosing between the fullback dive, the tailback pitch, or cutting upfield himself.

Here's hoping White & Kearns continue to work on this play together - it's devastatingly hard to guard when run well.

9 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

The key is the point guard's read on the play; he's like a triple-option quarterback choosing between the fullback dive, the tailback pitch, or cutting upfield himself.

Here's hoping White & Kearns continue to work on this play together - it's devastatingly hard to guard when run well.

That is a great observation - it is like the triple option. And I agree with you... if it is run well, no one in the Summit League will be able to defend it. That's the hard part - running it well.

The key for a guard is to be able to dribble and pass with either hand.  Most D1 gaurds have the dribble but aren't comfy passing with their off hand.  It becomes a true triple option when you have a gaurd who can hit a jumper if the defense plays under the screen.  It also helps to have  a big man with great hands who can finish.