ORU at South Dakota St.

ORUTerry

ORU travels to South Dakota State this week in an interesting test that will help gauge its relative strength in the league. SDSU is very efficient on offense with several excellent shooters. They are especially tough at home. Daum is difference maker and can dominate a contest like no one in the Summit League. This is a very tough test for ORU's young squad.

Link to SDSU site:  http://gojacks.com/index.aspx?path=mbball

The Jacks start two seniors, two juniors and one freshman. The next four players off the bench are two seniors and two juniors. Lots of experience. 

SDSU is 14-5 on the season. They have wins against Ole Miss and Iowa with their five losses against Kansas, Wyoming, Wichita State, Colorado and Missouri State at home by 20(!). They played Wichita State tough - leading most of the game by double digits until the officials started making ‘interesting’ calls. They took Colorado to double OT. In the Missouri State game, the Jacks shot abysmal and only scored 53 points - way below their average. 

SDSU only has nine players that play.  

You could look at SDSU as either starting 3 or 4 seniors and a freshman if you want to.  They have two normal seniors.  Daum in a 4th year junior but we will see if he stays at SDSU, turns pro (probably not but you never know, he is an offensive stud but lacks some on defense) or there is talk that he might transfer to Wisconsin after this season.  Flatten is the other starter.  He is in his 5th year at SDSU.  He has been injured for two of those years so SDSU is hoping to get him back for another year but they will have to apply for that.

SDSU has seven of their nine players that shoot .400% or better from 3-point range.  That is a little misleading because Howell is 1 of 2 from 3 point range for the season.  They have one starter that shoots .333% (King) but the rest are above .400% from 3-point land.  King is the starting PG and he is their best defensive guard so he does his job.  

SDSU's worst 3-points shooter is Key.  He is a 5'10" junior college player that they thought would be the replacement to Orris but he does get much PT.  It will be interesting to see if SDSU can shoot ORU out of their zone or if their zone can hold SDSU down.

If they get Flatten and Daum back they will return three starters next season and they are redshirting four players that they are high on.  SDSU is in the second year with their new coach and he wanted to redshirt all of his incoming recruits except for Jenkins Jr. (the freshman starter that shoots lights out).  He is a little inconsistent but he scored 31 points @ Colorado earlier in the season.

SDSU played Missouri State in Sioux Falls @ the Pentagon.  They just don't play good in the building.  Good thing it isn't the Event Center.

The weather is 39 today and it is supposed to be 38 degrees Wednesday.  We are supposed to get about 4 inches of snow on Wednesday night and Thursday with a high of 4 degrees on Thursday so if anybody plans on coming they might want to look into that.

• Upvote 1

Yeah...count TheEagleman in for that trip....:rolleyes:....especially if it's a balmy 4 degrees......frankly, I can't see ORU winning any of the 3 games up in the Dakotas....all tough places to play and the Saturday afternoon game at NDSU is on a short turnaround...very tough circumstances for us to win any of those games....if we can steal one...that would be a real plus.....:geek:

I guess I should have said that SDSU plays seven players in most games.  The player that is 1of 2 from 3-point land (Howell) and the 5'10" backup point guard (Key) don't play every game.  Key is the worst 3-point shooter on the team.  They normally just play in certain matches or in blowouts.  

SDSU will be losing between four and six of their nine players next year.  

TJ was at Iowa State, Washington (top 10 nationally ranked recruiting class) and Iowa State again.  It is easier to recruit to Iowa State and Washington but SDSU fans are hoping that he can work his magic here.  He will have to if he only returns 3 players next season.

As far as this year goes, if SDSU shoots like they can and they stay healthy, they should be tough to beat in the Summit League.  I'm guessing 12-2 or 11-3 in conference.  They did already win @ NDSU so that is one loses that I would have predicted out of the way.  In Fargo and in Vermillion (USD) are normally two of their loses in conference.

rpiforcast says SDSU by 12......that seems about right.

i agree with eagleman, one win on this Dakota swing would be a good trip for this young team.

5a5543124772b_Screenshot-2018-1-9httpwwwrpiforecastcom.png.8dbe25c35fe36a08532bc830d87cae75.png

91Jack, we will start 1 freshman and 4 sophomores.  Our next guy off the bench may be our senior (Owens), then it is back to sophomores and freshman.  We may play 9 or 10 guys.  These next 3 games will be very tough.

15 hours ago, ORU82 said:

91Jack, we will start 1 freshman and 4 sophomores.  Our next guy off the bench may be our senior (Owens), then it is back to sophomores and freshman.  We may play 9 or 10 guys.  These next 3 games will be very tough.

I guess you will see where you stand after the next 3 games.  I can understand playing 2 games in a row in the Dakota's (2 game road trip) but I don't understand back-to-back trips THERE.  If the other team traveled to Tulsa to play, it would seem fairer.  

Of course, SDSU fans don't think SDSU should have to play either NDSU or USD over semester break.  Those games bring in twice as many fans so SDSU loses money in tickets and concessions but it is what it is.

With a new coach and such a young team ORU might be turning things around.  I liked the old coach at SDSU because he won but he was at SDSU for 20 years and defensive minded.  I think the new coach is more of a up tempo, athletic and high scoring coach.  We will see how that translates in the W and L columns.

P.S.  I think next year you should only have two regular season trips to the Dakota's.  You should play UND and NDSU on one trip because they are about 1 hour and 20 minutes (85 miles) from each other.  The other trip would have you playing SDSU and USD.  They are about 2 hours (120 miles) from each other.  Hopefully they are not on back to back weekends.

20 hours ago, 91jack said:

You could look at SDSU as either starting 3 seniors and a freshman if you want to.  

SDSU has seven of their nine players that shoot .400% or better from 3-point range.  That is a little misleading because Howell is 1 of 2 from 3 point range for the season.  They have one starter that shoots .333% (King) but the rest are above .400% from 3-point land.  King is the starting PG and he is their best defensive guard so he does his job.  

Oops!  King is a junior.  I thought that he was a junior but they have him listed as a senior in the program for this game.  I didn't know if he lost a year for some reason so I went with the program.  He will be back next year.

20 hours ago, 91jack said:

TheEagleman still can't understand how SDSU got beat by 20 vs. Missouri State....I know the Bears are good....heck, until a couple of nights ago (loss at Illinois State) their only loss since Mid November was at Mabee Center to ORU....go figure.....Jay Bilas has Missouri State in his Top 68 today at #67......maybe ORU does have a shot at Brookings tomorrow night.....eh....then again probably not.....we would need to play just about a perfect game....:eagles:

1 hour ago, theeagleman5 said:

TheEagleman still can't understand how SDSU got beat by 20 vs. Missouri State....I know the Bears are good....heck, until a couple of nights ago (loss at Illinois State) their only loss since Mid November was at Mabee Center to ORU....go figure.....BIlas has Missouri State in his Top 68 today at #67......maybe ORU does have a shot at Brookings tomorrow night.....eh....then again probably not.....we would need to play just about a perfect game....:eagles:

SDSU just stunk the place up that night.  Their top 3 players all were terrible (reed was just below average).

1) Daum-  He averages 22 PPG.  That night he was 3-14 FG%, 1-5 3-pointers and he only scored 7 points.

2) Reed-  He averages 13 PPG.  That night he was 5-13 FG%, 2-9 3-pointers and he only scored 12 points (about average in points but FG% was way down).

3) Jenkins Jr-  He averages 15PPG.  That night he was 2-9 FG%, 0-3 3-pointers and only scored 4 points.

Those 3 players scored 27 less points than they average on a normal game.

Daum shoots .404% from 3-point land and he only shot 20% that game.

Reed shoots .444% from 3-point land and he only shot 22% that game.

Jenkins Jr shoots .410% from 3-point land and he was 0% in that game.

SDSU as a team shot .125% from 3-point land in that game and they average .424% on the season.

Live by the 3, die by the 3 and SDSU died big time that night.

P.S.  I barely remember the end of the game because it caused me to have a few too many beverages.

We need a lot of things to go right for us on Thursday...

• Our zone defense slows them down or confuses them a bit.
  • They go cold from the field
  • We shoot a decent percentage and grab a lot of offensive rebounds
  • Limit our turnovers
  • Get to the free throw line and make our free throws

That is a lot to ask of a young team on the road in conference play....

Maybe I'm nuts, but I think we're going to be competitive in this one. We have improved DRASTICALLY since the beginning of the season, and every single game we are seeing improvements. This coaching staff is blowing me away with how much they are getting out of our current talent pool. It's really quite incredible.

If we come to play, and our guards can keep pace with SDSU's (is Ruder going to be back for this game?), I think our bigs continue to be the difference for us. I'm calling this one for ORU, 69-67. 

Give TheEagleman some of that Blue KoolAid that Maniac is drinking....ORU needs to dominate the boards and keep our bigs out of foul trouble....the first 10 minutes are key......The Jacks are an early 11 point favorite...that's a high number.....:eagles:

• Like 1

SDSU's big guards tend to play (and get away with being) very physical in their home gym.  Kearns and Fuqua will be physically overmatched in the backcourt. 

Not expecting too much tonight from ORU in what is simply a bad match-up; I'll say 85-69 Jacks.

ORU will be double-digit underdogs in all three of these Dakota road games, and for good reason.  The true test will be, if they return to Tulsa at 3-3, how they perform in the remaining league contests.

Yeah....tough matchup for ORU tonight....line has remained steady at SDSU -11 and the O/U is 152.....TheEagleman is leaning towards teasing SDSU with the over....the Jacks can put up points and we can also.....Daum is arguably the best player in the Summit and I think the Jacks will win by double digits......I will call it SDSU 88  ORU 76....:geek: 

1 hour ago, Old Titan said:

SDSU's big guards tend to play (and get away with being) very physical in their home gym.  Kearns and Fuqua will be physically overmatched in the backcourt. 

Not expecting too much tonight from ORU in what is simply a bad match-up; I'll say 85-69 Jacks.

ORU will be double-digit underdogs in all three of these Dakota road games, and for good reason.  The true test will be, if they return to Tulsa at 3-3, how they perform in the remaining league contests.

King will be a physical guard.  He is 6'2"-200.  He plays tough defense and isn't afraid to mix it up.  The other guard is Jenkins Jr.  He is a 6'2"-190 true freshman.  He is big for a true freshman but he normally isn't really physical.  Flatten will start at SF he is 6'6" but he only weighs 215 lbs.  Reed is 6'7" and weighs 215 and Daum and weighs 250.  We do have one other big guy (6'9"-240) off of the bench but I think ORU might try to push around SDSU with their posts.  

Brookings only got about a half of an inch of snow last night so the forecast was off by about 3 inches.  They were right about it being cold though.  

I think SDSU will win since they are at home and they are a proven team but I worry about ORU with a new coach and a new team.  I worry about the unknown sometimes.  I'll say SDSU wins 82-72.

You  can read what a few SDSU fans think if you go to SDSUFans.com.  Click on the fan forum in the top right hand corner.