Streaming

Chevy Chase

For those of you who stream non-televised games, can you rate the quality?  When games aren't on ESPN3, the streaming feed comes from the video scoreboard.  Comments?

The quality is great, but using the board feed for the occasional replays of great ORU baskets means missing the next few seconds of play on the stream (typically the opponent on offense, which means possibly missing a critical foul, steal, blocked shot, etc.).

Not sure how that problem can be rectified, but I might suggest that the actual "Replay" graphic runs a little long, and a shorter version might help with getting back to live action sooner.

Or, could replays on the stream be split-screened between the replay from the board and the live-action camera?

Otherwise, it's pretty good (and you know I would nit-pick if it wasn't).

P.S.  On second thought, I'm not sure we need a close-up of the contestants in the McAlester's tea drinking promo, but I KNOW you just don't think "It's a party!" until someone "nasals" or hurls their tea/warm soda during a timeout or between innings. :puke:

One more nit-pick!

Do we (of all schools) REALLY need the "turd" emoji on the big screen during a promo? 

Aren't there enough OTHER emoji's to choose from?

I mean, c'mon;  what are we - twelve years old??  #BeavisandButthead #smh  :doh:

• Like 1

First, thank you to ORU athletics for providing the scoreboard feed for free. 

2 minor complaints

• like mentioned above, ORU scores are replayed during live action (which like OT mentioned can probably not be fixed)
  • graphics does not include the game clock (which is understandable because people in the arena will look at the scoreboard and see the clock elsewhere)

Overall, the radio streaming has improved vastly since moving to The Franchise!! (better station producers????)  I also really enjoy the extended pre game show that Adam does ---- hats off to him, I'm sure that involves more time getting all the interviews for each game.

(I should have never said I was done nit-picking, and this is another promo comment that has nothing to do with the streaming - LOL)

For the promo where the contestant is supposed to guess what the crowd is "miming" to them, it appears to the casual observer that fans are just shouting out the answers.

The perception could be rectified with a $20 pair of shooting range headphones from the sporting goods department at WalMart - you could even put the sponsor's logos on the sides for the camera close-ups.

Even if the contestant can read lips and wins anyway, at least it looks like every effort was made to avoid "shout outs".

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

The quality is great, but using the board feed for the occasional replays of great ORU baskets means missing the next few seconds of play on the stream (typically the opponent on offense, which means possibly missing a critical foul, steal, blocked shot, etc.).

This is my only complaint as well... makes a little bit more sense that the feed is direct from the scoreboard.

the video quality is actually a bit better than ESPN3 (higher bitrate) and never had any streaming issues.

I completely agree about the "replay" interfering with the game, because it does.  The one thing I do like about the ESPN3 broadcasts versus the broadcasts through the oruathletics.com  website is that I can play the ESPN3 games on my TV while I have not figured out how to do that with what comes from the website.  I like to relax In my man cave watching the big screen tv as opposed to sitting at my desk staring at my computer screen.   

The video part is great, minus having to watch a replay while live play is continuing, as others have mentioned.

this might be an issue on my end, but at times the video will lag behind the radio broadcast, so I hear Adam's audio call of play before I see it happen...has anyone else experienced this?

Better than nothing for sure. I use an HDMI cord and connect my laptop to my TV so I can see it on the big screen.  Works like a charm when my internet service is being cooperative.

The streaming video quality is VERY good.  I have Chromecast, and can easily pull the game up on my home computer, cast it to the TV, and it is just like watching a normal HD broadcast.  I would still prefer ESPN3 for more availability on other devices, but it is a close second. 

If you have Apple TV you can also send the game from your phone to your TV wirelessly. 

I assume these questions are being asked because the Athletic Dept. is looking at a way to save money and yet still broadcast our games.  I further assume it is cheaper for the Athletic Dept. to cobble together the live stream we have been getting these last three games on the Athletic Dept. website than it is to broadcast via ESPN3.  I do not know this for a fact but am merely speculating.  Although the live streams have not been too bad relatively speaking, unless there is some compelling reason such as finances, I would rather see the games on ESPN3 as it is easier to pick up the games and I believe ESPN3 games get us more exposure on a national level.  Many people will "surf" the ESPN platforms and watch games they would otherwise not view by taking the time to purposely hunt up our Athletic Dept. website to find the game.  I know that I will go to the ESPN platform and "surf" different games for the fun of it.  However, if I was not a fan of ORU as well as an alum, I would probably never hunt up our website to try and find our games.  Again, if the game is available on those ESPN platforms the casual observer will watch.  

One final thing if the Athletic Dept. is monitoring this.  I was at our game in November with Penn State.  I had people sitting around me from New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Virginia and Maryland all of whom were ORU alums or fans or both.  To a person we all talked about how nice it was to be able to see our games by watching the ESPN platforms.  We also talked about how nice it was to watch the baseball team as well.  My point is this, unless there is a serious financial problem using the ESPN platform, please do not substitute the Website for ESPN.  There are a lot of people who are watching our programs from afar.  It is easy for us to do this if they are on a platform like ESPN. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, ORU82 said:

...unless there is some compelling reason such as finances, I would rather see the games on ESPN3 as it is easier to pick up the games and I believe ESPN3 games get us more exposure on a national level.  Many people will "surf" the ESPN platforms and watch games they would otherwise not view by taking the time to purposely hunt up our Athletic Dept. website to find the game.  I know that I will go to the ESPN platform and "surf" different games for the fun of it.  However, if I was not a fan of ORU as well as an alum, I would probably never hunt up our website to try and find our games.  Again, if the game is available on those ESPN platforms the casual observer will watch.  

Very good points.