Sign in to follow this  
TrueBlue82

Mid-Season Observations

ORUParentLurker
11 hours ago, ORUALUMNUS99 said:

Yes, I am sorry ParentLurker I have heard that as well I am not saying anyone on the team is free of issues.  All I am saying is that this situation may be more a stroke of luck than it was a stroke of genius or bravery on Mills's part.. 

ha... coaching moves are rarely as calculated as we think anyway.  It's 40% paranoia, 40% luck, and 20% strategy.  Yeah I'm joking.  I do think its pretty easy for a coach to bench a star player when the team isn't winning.  What do you have to lose?  Plus, as a new coach it sets an example to the other players that you aren't to be trifled with. 

WingMaaaan

Being fortunate (blessed/lucky/fill-in-the-blank) accounts for a lot of the good things that happen in life. You need to be prepared to capitalize on it (which usually requires hard work) but you need a little luck. The Golden State Warriors are a good example of this too. If Minnesota would have said yes to the Kevin Love / Klay Thompson trade, we likely never see the Warriors become what they are today. 

Not sure it works like this but here's to some of that Golden State luck rubbing off on the Golden Eagles! 

theeagleman5

Trust The Process.....:geek::eagles:;-)

Section A
18 hours ago, ORUALUMNUS99 said:

Yes, I am sorry ParentLurker I have heard that as well I am not saying anyone on the team is free of issues.  All I am saying is that this situation may be more a stroke of luck than it was a stroke of genius or bravery on Mills's part.. 

ORUALUMNUS99's earlier post and his comment here that the Owens "situation may be more a stroke of luck than a stroke of genius or bravery on Mills's part"  is exactly my point in my initial post on this matter.

Let's go ORU! Men (away) and women (home) v South Dakota tonight.

tphybridtx

First-time posting, but I have followed the men's basketball board discussion and the team for a few years.  Albert is a better player than Miller even though, based on Chris' motor, it can be close at times.  To permanently make a proven senior the sixth man is a difficult pill for anyone to swallow.  Surprised and pleased that he did not leave the team.  ORU's problems are not as much coaching as are the issues the program has with internal dysfunction, facilities and attendance.  It will be always be difficult to recruit in this environment and the first impressions I have of Mills is that he is a good X's and O's coach.   However, watching from afar, I don't think I would recommend sending a student athlete to ORU again.  Playing for next year, will always leave you a little disappointed.  This team has the ability to do something this year.  He should not let it go to waste.

• Like 2

ORUMBB1FAN
  • Well I am new to this site. Love reading it.  I respect all comments. However i am more interested in hearing thoughts on the zone and some of the other players. Do I have to start a new thread?

EagleManiac

So many new posters. I love it.

ORUTerry

And lots of lurkers too....

Old Titan

Am I the only one who thinks this team hasn't been the same in the wake of RJ Fuqua's diminished role following Ruder's return from injury, resulting in fewer perimeter deflections on defense, more ill-advised threes on offense, fewer entry passes to the post, and fewer drives to the basket from out top, all contributing to the subsequent dips in production from White, Nzekwezi and Miller?

Just sayin... :^)

theeagleman5

YES!....^^^^^^ this!!!...+1...absolutely correct....less Ruder....More FUQUA!!!.....RJ is the future...not Ruder....I would only put in the Missouri State kid when we are in need of some long range quick scoring.....:geek:

GoldenEagleFan17

Also, is it just me, or is ORU always on the losing end of the foul totals?  Seems like every game we have several more team fouls than our opponents.  Are our players not disciplined enough to play D w/o fouling, or are we getting called for several questionable fouls?

Old Titan
4 hours ago, theeagleman5 said:

YES!....^^^^^^ this!!!...+1...absolutely correct....less Ruder....More FUQUA!!!.....RJ is the future...not Ruder....I would only put in the Missouri State kid when we are in need of some long range quick scoring.....:geek:

To clarify:  I did NOT say "less Ruder", or "more Fuqua".

I guess what I'm saying is "more deflections/more dribble drives to the hole/more feeding the post/fewer bad threes" would boost the big men's production.

By WHOEVER is playing guard...

• Upvote 1