Western Illinois at ORU

EagleManiac

A chance at a 3-0 start to the conference season. Who would’ve thought.

The perennial Summit League powerhouse (lol) Leathernecks come to visit for TTCU night this Saturday. If we continue our recent run of play, this one should be an easy W. Expect to see Mills empty the bench with 10 minutes to go. 

**TTCU offering free tickets for this one. Haven’t seen anything on this except a single Facebook post by TTCU. Hopefully someone advertises this so we can get a decent crowd. The numbers the last two games have been very discouraging. 

2217 announced attendance at Mabee last night but on TV it looked like not much more than 1/2 that....tops 1500 perhaps ....very sad turnout against a good opponent....Maybe some students will arrive early and attend on Saturday night because if ORU continues this trend it's a game we should win.....:eagles:

Western Illinois is 8-5 and lost their first conference game Thursday night to South Dakota by 12 points. The Leathernecks were only down 4 points with less than three minutes to go. Big disparity in foul shots; SD shot 31 and WIU shot 16. Both teams were assessed technical fouls - so it seems things got a little chippy.

Neither team shot the ball well. 

The Leathernecks have 3 of those wins over non D-1 schools.....it's still Western Illinois and the Good Guys are playing really well at home in front of a lot of empty gold seats....so TheEagleman still likes ORU in this one.....ORU 82  WIU 71....Too much Javan, E-Man, Miller, Kearns and RJ....oh,  and maybe Albert.....:eagles:

Free tickets?...nice.....from what people on this board have been saying.....ORU students could be offered free tickets, a coupon for a free pizza and 2 complementary beers and they still wouldn't come.....:rolleyes:

ORU an early 7.5 point favorite....that says a lot about how these guys have turned it around....WIU not a bad team and we are 6-11 with a loss to an NAIA team....what a difference four weeks makes....:eagles:

North Dakota State over South Dakota so with a win we could be in 1st place in Summit. Go Eagles!

ORU up 10 at half in high scoring affair 45-35....TheEagleman has ORU and Over....looking real good!...:eagles:

Fuqua has 12....Javan 11 and E-man 8...Kearns 6....nice balanced scoring as ORU up 47-35 early 2nd half...:tb-white:

While the execution was horrible, three games into conference play I think it's obvious that Wilson and Carter have been vindicated in the decision to move on from the Sutton brothers.

When was the last time ORU had three straight 15 point wins in conference play?

• Like 1

Absolutely agree with that, Alum....tonight was another 2nd half blowout.....81-66.....really nice efforts by E-Man with 21 and Fuqua had 18...double doubles for Javan and E-Man and ORU just murdered WIU on the boards 44-25.... TheEagleman is going to be very interested to see how we fare up at SDSU and NDSU with our big line up....those are both very tough places to play.....but another great job tonight by Coach Mills and the boys....Gotta love it!!!....:eagles:

We are starting 4 Sophomores and 1 Freshman with a Senior, a couple of Sophomores and a couple Freshman coming off the bench.  Yes, we still have a long way to go but this team is starting to click and are buying into the program.  The execution at times tonight was horrible and the last couple of games has been the same, but I like the fact that we continue to improve and get better each game.  I have not seen that in years with our program.  Finally, I think Wilson and Carter did the right thing and are vindicated.  For once in a very long time, I like the upside of where this program can go, both this year and especially in the years to come.  Hope is a good thing.  Go Golden Eagles!

• Upvote 1

Big night for TheEagleman....I had ORU and the Over teased and also had ORU straight up in a separate bet....felt confident we would win by double digits and we did....very impressed that this team finished off the first half very strong then came out and finished WIU off in the first 5 minutes of the 2nd half.....our teams the past couple of years have never had the killer instinct and with such a young lineup.....they do make mistakes and are sloppy at times but seem to play hard for all 40 minutes...Mills is actually coaching for the entire game and is very vocal.....TheEagleman was a Coach Sutton fan but the last couple years he seemed to be disinterested or even asleep at times on the sidelines.... better times are ahead at 7777 So. Lewis....especially when those really good recruits come in next season.....GET YOUR TICKETS NOW!!!....;-)

This team plays hard and their zone defense is getting better and better. I liked the half court trap that we sprang several times. Our rotation and match ups keep teams from getting much open looks. We extended the halftime lead and never let WIU back in the game. The guys got a bit sloppy in the last 5 minutes - so we can work on that. 

Lots of scoring options and our bigs just attack the boards. We are young and getting better. I like what I see on the court and on the bench. 

6 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

....very impressed that this team finished off the first half very strong then came out and finished WIU off in the first 5 minutes of the 2nd half.....our teams the past couple of years have never had the killer instinct and with such a young lineup.....

Several fans I spoke to in the Mabee Center mentioned that this team is different from past squads - they keep their foot on an opponent’s neck and don’t let them up.