Fort Wayne at ORU

ORUalum

57 minutes ago, ORUalum said:

I thought Albert had his best game of the year.  I'll take that stat line every game.

16 pts, 8 reb, 4 blk --- 6-10 shooting and 4-4 FT

No specific slight to AJ; I just really like Big Chris' motor.  Very old school; seldom seen these days.

11 minutes ago, EagleManiac said:

This is a decent IPFW team. Top half of the league this year.

When was the last time we blew out anyone? Now we’ve done it two games in a row, with one of them coming against a team that beat Indiana by 20 just a couple weeks ago. Very encouraging. 

Which, of course, means that ORU is 35+ points better than Indiana.

With that kind of math, I may have a future in Washington D.C. :-P

• Like 1

After Saturday night....5 of the next 6 Summit games on the road....we only have one league home game with Denver over the next month.....ORU needs to win a couple of those games on foreign turf in order to show we are a legit contender in Sioux Falls.....:eagles:

12 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

After Saturday night....5 of the next 6 Summit games on the road....we only have one league home game with Denver over the next month.....ORU needs to win a couple of those games on foreign turf in order to show we are a legit contender in Sioux Falls.....:eagles:

I think 7-7 in the league is very attainable and would be a great step forward for the program.

We still have a long way to go, but I love what the Staff and Team are doing.  Very impressive, keep it up.  Go Golden Eagles!

Meanwhile, the ORU women continue to play well (10-5) and are also 2-0 in the conference.

• Upvote 1

ORU gets a nice +33 RPI boost with last night's win; putting them at a very respectable (all things considered) No. 156 ranking nationally, and good for 4th in the Summit League (which is, as a whole, enjoying a lofty No. 13 ranking among all D-1conferences)

RealTimeRPI.com "RPI Pops"

Really impressed with Albert and how he is embracing his role this season. Fortunate to have a guy like Owens representing ORU.

Reporter: How have you embraced coming off the bench?

Albert: It's just been one of those things where I realized that I would rather be a bench player on a really good team rather than just score a thousand points or get however many blocks. At the end of the day I wanted to win here and that's the reason I stayed; I'm just doing whatever I can to help the team win.

• Upvote 2

Nice win against what seems to be a good conference opponent. Some random observations:

* Our offensive flow sputtered when Sam left the game. He seems to provide stability and confidence in running the offense. 

* Fuqua looks good (for a freshman) running the point. He missed several layups that should have fallen. Committed some silly turnovers late in the game. 

* Our defense seemed to confuse/frustrate them. We play a pretty active zone defense. At times we were matching up with #55 - almost playing man against him. It helps that they couldn’t make their shots...

* Harris plays good defense and doesn’t force things on offense. He’s turning into a nice player who knows his role. 

* To reiterate what OT said, it was nice to see us impose our will on an opponent by playing three big guys for the most part. Having EMan, White and Miller/Owens on the court at the same time is (and will be) a huge match up problem for our conference foes. 

* Owens played well and didn’t force things. White is so active under the basket; has a nose for the ball that reminds me of Rocky Walls. EMan is settling down and playing under control; he is also active under the basket  

* We could run against Fort Wayne. Our bigs (Miller, White and EMan) run the court well. This has been true against a lot our opponents.

* So far, this team doesn’t let up when they grab a lead. I like that. Shows good focus. I also like our sets out of timeouts. Very planned. I think Coach Mills was using the last 5 minutes of the game as a means to practice sets. Saw them run a high/low post with White/Owens and EMan making the entry. That play is almost unstoppable. 

* After Kearn’s three pointer to beat the shot clock near the end of the first half, Kendall Johnson started the band up thinking the buzzer signaled halftime. Except there were about 5-6 seconds left. It confused Fort Wayne and therefore they could not get a good shot off. Nice, but I noticed their coach was not happy. 

* The refs were really bad. Numerous missed calls. I think they were guessing/anticipating a lot. It’s almost like they felt sorry for Fort Wayne when we got up big. At one time in the second half, ORU had 12 fouls and Fort Wayne had 4.  

5 hours ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

Really impressed with Albert and how he is embracing his role this season. Fortunate to have a guy like Owens representing ORU.

Kearns is a key for this team.  Hoping to see Ruder back for Saturday night.  After beating IPFW, we cannot let down against Western Illinois.

There was a lot of sloppy play in the 2nd half.  We could have won by more.  We extended the zone to the 3 point line and for the first 10 minutes of the game or so, IPFW didn’t even know what to do on offense because their 3 point shots weren’t open.  They were confused and flustered.  Great scouting and coaching by ORU.

Then our offense stuck with the post game when it was clear IPFW couldn’t stop it.  As was mentioned earlier, the most common lineup had 3 bigs.  I like to see consistent improvement and this team is clearly improving.