Glenn Smith Recovering From Critical Illness

Old Titan

Keep Hall-of-Famer Glenn “Smitty” Smith in your prayers this holiday season: he’s home now after being hospitalized with a life-threatening case of pneumonia that caused an infection in his heart and kidneys as well.

His wonderful wife Mona says he has a long road back to a full recovery, and would really appreciate your thoughts and prayers at this time.

Smitty is one of the all-time greats at ORU, beginning as athletic trainer under Ken Trickey in the early 70’s, and also teaching in the ORU HPE department for decades. 

“Get well soon, Babe!!” :y:

• Upvote 2

One of the truly nice guys ever....and Mona a very nice lady....praying for Smitty!!...:oru-logo:

Glenn is a wonderful guy and has been a great gift to my family. I am praying for his quick recovery. 

If TheEagleman recalls correctly....he met his wife Mona at ORU where she was a student around the time the I was attending ORU....pretty sure she is a grad....Smitty took over as trainer when ORU was a Top 25 team and I think his first year was my freshman year or maybe the prior year so 1971 or 1972....a really good man.....:y:.....true story....in my ORU days, I was very friendly with asst coach Terry Scott who I think is now head coach at Muskogee HS (???) or at least he was....Terry's brother Alvin was my next door neighbor at Fairmont Terrace Apts. and was ORU's starting small forward and was drafted and played in the NBA for the Phoenix Suns.....but I digress....Coach Scott usually sat on the ORU bench during games next to Smitty and was next to him during the 1974 Midwest Regional Final at Mabee Center vs. Kansas....with about 3 minutes left to play, Kansas called time out and ORU was up 8 points and Terry turned to Smitty and said "we're going to Greensboro for the Final Four"....Smitty said something like...."don't jinx us"....well....the rest is history.....we lost in OT by 3....:tmi:

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

Any update on Smitty's condition??.........:eagles:

Great story Eagleman.

My story is not near as good.  So you have ACL reconstructive surgery over summer a few weeks before fall semester.  Do you think ORU waives the .5 credit hour HPE requirement? Of course not.......it's ORU after all.  I had to enroll in rehabilitative HPE (or whatever it was called) and report to Glenn Smith.  I was supposed to meet once a week with Smitty and discuss how my physical therapy was going.  The first week I schedule my appointment and crutch my way up the Aerobics Center.  Smitty could not have been nicer and reviewed my doc's PT plan and we had a long discussion about the method the  surgeon chose for ligament replacement.  Sensing the ridiculousness of ORU's HPE policy in my instance, he told me to just follow the plan I was given and don't worry about ever checking in again unless there  was a major setback. 

Anyways, he could not have been nicer to a no name student that was far from being one of the prized athletes he normally took care of.

Glenn has for years included a comic "stumble" during his walk to-or-from the field and/or court to check on a player's injury, and the annual Hall of Fame ceremony is no exception:  he always trips himself on purpose walking out under the glare of the spotlight.

Saturday night, he outdid himself and veered right over a traffic cone underneath the basket, kicking it about a foot and drawing gasps from those who weren't in on the joke.

I would say he must be feeling better! :clap: