Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
theeagleman5

ORU at Minnesota

Recommended Posts

theeagleman5

The Pre-Christmas Death March continues north to Minnesota and ORU is a 21.5 point dog in the opening line. TheEagleman snapped that up early because expect it to go up at least a couple more points....hard to believe our guys won't have tired legs and have to be looking forward to 8 days off to lick their wounds....this has Gophers 97 ORU 66 written all over it..... Merry Christmas to Coach Mills....:blink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
theeagleman5

Line is down to 20 this morning....might have to double down....would be shocking to me if ORU comes within 25 tonight.....:devil:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ORUIllini
1 hour ago, theeagleman5 said:

Line is down to 20 this morning....might have to double down....would be shocking to me if ORU comes within 25 tonight.....:devil:

20 is a tough number....could make a case for it going either way.....the one thing that leans me towards ORU keeping it within 20 is that two of the three times they have been blown out, Oklahoma State and Penn State, they have responded well the next game. Let's forget about the game after the UNLV blowout......Granted the opponents have not been the caliber of Minnesota, but I got a feeling Mills will have them ready to fight and compete, maybe not to a Wofford-esq performance, but I'll say Gophers 78, Golden Eagles 66

Let's get to Summit League action and jump out to a 3-0 start in conference!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Old Titan

Some bulletin board material for Javan tonight, from Jay Bilas' mid-season "best" list:

Best rebounder: Jordan Murphy, Minnesota Golden Gophers
Murphy is relentless, and it is impossible to keep relentless off the glass. But he is far more than relentless. Murphy has size, great hands and he has a hunger for the ball. Murphy leads the nation in rebounding at over 13 per game, and leads the nation in offensive rebounding at 5.33 per game. Murphy is the nation's best rebounder, and it is not a close call.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/21814971/jay-bilas-best-thing-seen-far-season

I have a feeling ORU matches up better with Minnesota than they did with Arkansas, but that might just be wishful thinking. 

No way to predict how much fatigue may play a factor tonight.  We'll see...

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dr. Cornelius
15 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

I have a feeling ORU matches up better with Minnesota than they did with Arkansas, but they may just be wishful thinking. 

No way to predict how much fatigue may play a factor tonight.  We'll see...

I agree that MN is probably a better matchup. Arkansas will be a difficult draw for anybody in the NCAA tournament this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
theeagleman5

TheEagleman thinks that even if ORU were rested for a week this would be at least a 20 point loss...but with the "fatigue factor" of playing it's 3rd road game in 6 nights this one should be downright ugly.....I feel bad for Coach Mills and the boys as most of them seem to be giving a 110% effort. I would be inclined to throw Big Albert out there for 40 minutes and tell him to show us what he's got.....|(.....the line is up to 21.5 and O/U is 151.5 so TheEagleman teased Minnesota with the Over.....also have Minnesota straight up......I just can't see this game being remotely close unless the Gophers empty the bench early and often....but they probably want a big win after losing at Nebraska and Arkansas and barely beating Drake....Gophers by 30 at least......:tmi:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Old Titan

In a similar situation last year, a very weak and wounded ORU team battled a powerful but disinterested Michigan State squad to a four-point decision.

Just sayin'... :?:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TrueBlue82

I have a "bullish" feeling about this game as well.  That feeling may change a few minutes after tip-off, but for now I think we keep it within 20 tonight.  We will see...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ORUTerry
7 hours ago, Old Titan said:

Some bulletin board material for Javan tonight, from Jay Bilas' mid-season "best" list:

Best rebounder: Jordan Murphy, Minnesota Golden Gophers
Murphy is relentless, and it is impossible to keep relentless off the glass. But he is far more than relentless. Murphy has size, great hands and he has a hunger for the ball. Murphy leads the nation in rebounding at over 13 per game, and leads the nation in offensive rebounding at 5.33 per game. Murphy is the nation's best rebounder, and it is not a close call.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/21814971/jay-bilas-best-thing-seen-far-season

I have a feeling ORU matches up better with Minnesota than they did with Arkansas, but that might just be wishful thinking. 

No way to predict how much fatigue may play a factor tonight.  We'll see...

Looks like Javan is motivated....

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
theeagleman5

ORU hanging tough at half 38-34.... Maybe OT was right....Gophers not motivated tonight and we are....:eagles:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ORUalum

I thought ORU was gonna get crushed once Javan picked up his second very early on and had to sit.  Good minutes from Big Chris and Eman.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ORUIllini

25-7 FTA advantage for Minnesota....tough to overcome that!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Old Titan

The King:  “LET CONFERENCE PLAY BEGIN.”

The Court (in unison):  “DILLY, DILLY!!”

The Squire:  “...and cash those checks!”

The Court (in unison):  “DILLY, DILLY!!”

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
theeagleman5

Obviously an unexpected  inspired effort by ORU tonight but we are doomed by a 7-29 combined shooting effort by E-Man and Kearns....after the past month, next week vs. Omaha at Mabee Center should be a piece of cake...Go Blue!...:eagles:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ORUalum

Adam:  "Was there any thing you saw out there that would warrant them shooting 3:1 more FT's?"

Mills: "No."

 

haha.......just admit it Coach.........the refs saw ORU up 5 late in the first half and knew who was supposed to win.....it was a conga line to the FT line for MN the rest of the half.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ORUParentLurker

Really disappointed in the shooting performances.  3-17 from 3pt isn't going to win a lot of games.  I'm hoping some fresh legs come out of the break and we get back to being a little more consistent.  We also might get Ruder back.  Having a real threat like him on the court I feel opens up others and good shooting can be contagious.  Right now we have a lot of streakiness going on and nobody seems to be hitting at the same time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dr. Cornelius
59 minutes ago, ORUParentLurker said:

Really disappointed in the shooting performances.  3-17 from 3pt isn't going to win a lot of games.  I'm hoping some fresh legs come out of the break and we get back to being a little more consistent.  We also might get Ruder back.  Having a real threat like him on the court I feel opens up others and good shooting can be contagious.  Right now we have a lot of streakiness going on and nobody seems to be hitting at the same time.

Some of it has to be the grind of the schedule. Coach Mills posted on Twitter that the non-conference was ranked 7th most difficult by KenPom... When the team gets into Summit League play shooters won't be seeing the same length or close out speed.

I think that paired with a three game home stand we should see some improved results. This team is a lot better than I gave them credit for or their record indicates.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GoldenEagleFan17

So what has happened to Owens? He played all of nine minutes last night.  He's just fallen off the radar, but is that because he's just not motivated or has something happened?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EagleManiac
57 minutes ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

 This team is a lot better than I gave them credit for or their record indicates.

Agreed. I had very low expectations coming into the season, and the team has already challenged that. They’ve hung around in a lot of games they shouldn’t have. I was very skeptical of Coach Mills, but he’s really surprised me so far. The future looks bright. 

 

I’m also curious about Albert. I’m sure he’s regretting his choice to stay at ORU this year. Hopefully he and Coach can find a way for him to contribute. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ORUalum

In the pre-game, the trainer said Ruder has been cleared to play by the doctor.  I guess he was held out as a precaution.  He said his shot looked good.

As to Owens, I was shocked with the low minutes as well.  Hard to speculate what is going on with that situation.  I hope they can get on the same page.   We have seen what Albert can do in the Summit League when he is dialed in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ORUParentLurker

I think AL is just getting out played by Chris and Javan.  The clearest strength of this team is rebounding and specifically offensive rebounding.  Eman, Javan and Chris are very strong rebounders and as a group can be pretty dominant.  Al weakens that element when he's out there and we really need it to win.  I don't know why he's such a lackluster rebounder, that part doesn't make sense.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ORUParentLurker
1 hour ago, EagleManiac said:

Agreed. I had very low expectations coming into the season, and the team has already challenged that. They’ve hung around in a lot of games they shouldn’t have. I was very skeptical of Coach Mills, but he’s really surprised me so far. The future looks bright. 

 

I’m also curious about Albert. I’m sure he’s regretting his choice to stay at ORU this year. Hopefully he and Coach can find a way for him to contribute. 

This is a other example of basketball teams and what they are made of.  Teams aren't a sum of their parts, they are more or less depending on how they fit together and the character of the team.  These are all high character young men and Mills is doing a good job of keeping them focused on execution.

Notice how much the defense has improved.  Notice the ball movement.  You don't see a lot of crazy shots.  The guys seem to care about each other.  I was in FT Myers and this was an intense and determined group.  I think they will be top half of the Summit for sure with a chance to be even better.  This league has several very good teams.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
theeagleman5

We will see just how good we are in the first week of January when we play IPFW at Mabee Center....the Mastodons whipped up on Indiana earlier this week by 20 in Bloomington....I know the Hoosiers aren't a top team this year but they are still Big Ten and they got rolled at home by a Summit League team....If ORU can beat Fort Wayne....TheEagleman will be very impressed....:eagles:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

×