ORU at Minnesota

theeagleman5

57 minutes ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

This team is a lot better than I gave them credit for or their record indicates.

Agreed. I had very low expectations coming into the season, and the team has already challenged that. They’ve hung around in a lot of games they shouldn’t have. I was very skeptical of Coach Mills, but he’s really surprised me so far. The future looks bright. 

I’m also curious about Albert. I’m sure he’s regretting his choice to stay at ORU this year. Hopefully he and Coach can find a way for him to contribute. 

In the pre-game, the trainer said Ruder has been cleared to play by the doctor.  I guess he was held out as a precaution.  He said his shot looked good.

As to Owens, I was shocked with the low minutes as well.  Hard to speculate what is going on with that situation.  I hope they can get on the same page.   We have seen what Albert can do in the Summit League when he is dialed in.

I think AL is just getting out played by Chris and Javan.  The clearest strength of this team is rebounding and specifically offensive rebounding.  Eman, Javan and Chris are very strong rebounders and as a group can be pretty dominant.  Al weakens that element when he's out there and we really need it to win.  I don't know why he's such a lackluster rebounder, that part doesn't make sense.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EagleManiac said:

Agreed. I had very low expectations coming into the season, and the team has already challenged that. They’ve hung around in a lot of games they shouldn’t have. I was very skeptical of Coach Mills, but he’s really surprised me so far. The future looks bright. 

I’m also curious about Albert. I’m sure he’s regretting his choice to stay at ORU this year. Hopefully he and Coach can find a way for him to contribute. 

This is a other example of basketball teams and what they are made of.  Teams aren't a sum of their parts, they are more or less depending on how they fit together and the character of the team.  These are all high character young men and Mills is doing a good job of keeping them focused on execution.

Notice how much the defense has improved.  Notice the ball movement.  You don't see a lot of crazy shots.  The guys seem to care about each other.  I was in FT Myers and this was an intense and determined group.  I think they will be top half of the Summit for sure with a chance to be even better.  This league has several very good teams.

We will see just how good we are in the first week of January when we play IPFW at Mabee Center....the Mastodons whipped up on Indiana earlier this week by 20 in Bloomington....I know the Hoosiers aren't a top team this year but they are still Big Ten and they got rolled at home by a Summit League team....If ORU can beat Fort Wayne....TheEagleman will be very impressed....:eagles: