ORU at Minnesota

theeagleman5

The Pre-Christmas Death March continues north to Minnesota and ORU is a 21.5 point dog in the opening line. TheEagleman snapped that up early because expect it to go up at least a couple more points....hard to believe our guys won't have tired legs and have to be looking forward to 8 days off to lick their wounds....this has Gophers 97 ORU 66 written all over it..... Merry Christmas to Coach Mills....:blink:

Line is down to 20 this morning....might have to double down....would be shocking to me if ORU comes within 25 tonight.....:devil:

1 hour ago, theeagleman5 said:

Line is down to 20 this morning....might have to double down....would be shocking to me if ORU comes within 25 tonight.....:devil:

20 is a tough number....could make a case for it going either way.....the one thing that leans me towards ORU keeping it within 20 is that two of the three times they have been blown out, Oklahoma State and Penn State, they have responded well the next game. Let's forget about the game after the UNLV blowout......Granted the opponents have not been the caliber of Minnesota, but I got a feeling Mills will have them ready to fight and compete, maybe not to a Wofford-esq performance, but I'll say Gophers 78, Golden Eagles 66

Let's get to Summit League action and jump out to a 3-0 start in conference!

Some bulletin board material for Javan tonight, from Jay Bilas' mid-season "best" list:

Best rebounder: Jordan Murphy, Minnesota Golden Gophers
Murphy is relentless, and it is impossible to keep relentless off the glass. But he is far more than relentless. Murphy has size, great hands and he has a hunger for the ball. Murphy leads the nation in rebounding at over 13 per game, and leads the nation in offensive rebounding at 5.33 per game. Murphy is the nation's best rebounder, and it is not a close call.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/21814971/jay-bilas-best-thing-seen-far-season

I have a feeling ORU matches up better with Minnesota than they did with Arkansas, but that might just be wishful thinking. 

No way to predict how much fatigue may play a factor tonight.  We'll see...

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

I have a feeling ORU matches up better with Minnesota than they did with Arkansas, but they may just be wishful thinking. 

I agree that MN is probably a better matchup. Arkansas will be a difficult draw for anybody in the NCAA tournament this year.

TheEagleman thinks that even if ORU were rested for a week this would be at least a 20 point loss...but with the "fatigue factor" of playing it's 3rd road game in 6 nights this one should be downright ugly.....I feel bad for Coach Mills and the boys as most of them seem to be giving a 110% effort. I would be inclined to throw Big Albert out there for 40 minutes and tell him to show us what he's got.....|(.....the line is up to 21.5 and O/U is 151.5 so TheEagleman teased Minnesota with the Over.....also have Minnesota straight up......I just can't see this game being remotely close unless the Gophers empty the bench early and often....but they probably want a big win after losing at Nebraska and Arkansas and barely beating Drake....Gophers by 30 at least......:tmi:

In a similar situation last year, a very weak and wounded ORU team battled a powerful but disinterested Michigan State squad to a four-point decision.

Just sayin'... :?:

I have a "bullish" feeling about this game as well.  That feeling may change a few minutes after tip-off, but for now I think we keep it within 20 tonight.  We will see...

7 hours ago, Old Titan said:

Some bulletin board material for Javan tonight, from Jay Bilas' mid-season "best" list:

Best rebounder: Jordan Murphy, Minnesota Golden Gophers
Murphy is relentless, and it is impossible to keep relentless off the glass. But he is far more than relentless. Murphy has size, great hands and he has a hunger for the ball. Murphy leads the nation in rebounding at over 13 per game, and leads the nation in offensive rebounding at 5.33 per game. Murphy is the nation's best rebounder, and it is not a close call.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/21814971/jay-bilas-best-thing-seen-far-season

I have a feeling ORU matches up better with Minnesota than they did with Arkansas, but that might just be wishful thinking. 

Looks like Javan is motivated....

ORU hanging tough at half 38-34.... Maybe OT was right....Gophers not motivated tonight and we are....:eagles:

I thought ORU was gonna get crushed once Javan picked up his second very early on and had to sit.  Good minutes from Big Chris and Eman.

The King:  “LET CONFERENCE PLAY BEGIN.”

The Court (in unison):  “DILLY, DILLY!!”

The Squire:  “...and cash those checks!”

The Court (in unison):  “DILLY, DILLY!!”

• Like 2

Obviously an unexpected  inspired effort by ORU tonight but we are doomed by a 7-29 combined shooting effort by E-Man and Kearns....after the past month, next week vs. Omaha at Mabee Center should be a piece of cake...Go Blue!...:eagles:

Adam:  "Was there any thing you saw out there that would warrant them shooting 3:1 more FT's?"

Mills: "No."

haha.......just admit it Coach.........the refs saw ORU up 5 late in the first half and knew who was supposed to win.....it was a conga line to the FT line for MN the rest of the half.

Really disappointed in the shooting performances.  3-17 from 3pt isn't going to win a lot of games.  I'm hoping some fresh legs come out of the break and we get back to being a little more consistent.  We also might get Ruder back.  Having a real threat like him on the court I feel opens up others and good shooting can be contagious.  Right now we have a lot of streakiness going on and nobody seems to be hitting at the same time.

59 minutes ago, ORUParentLurker said:

Really disappointed in the shooting performances.  3-17 from 3pt isn't going to win a lot of games.  I'm hoping some fresh legs come out of the break and we get back to being a little more consistent.  We also might get Ruder back.  Having a real threat like him on the court I feel opens up others and good shooting can be contagious.  Right now we have a lot of streakiness going on and nobody seems to be hitting at the same time.

Some of it has to be the grind of the schedule. Coach Mills posted on Twitter that the non-conference was ranked 7th most difficult by KenPom... When the team gets into Summit League play shooters won't be seeing the same length or close out speed.

I think that paired with a three game home stand we should see some improved results. This team is a lot better than I gave them credit for or their record indicates.

So what has happened to Owens? He played all of nine minutes last night.  He's just fallen off the radar, but is that because he's just not motivated or has something happened?