Sign in to follow this  
ORUTerry

ORU vs. Arkansas (12/19)

ORUTerry

ORU travels over to Fayetteville to battle the Hogs Tuesday evening. Arkansas is 8-2 under Mike Anderson - including wins over Oklahoma and #14 Minnesota. They play a fast paced game using pressure defense.

Link to stats:  http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/stats/mbb/2017-18/Ark_Combined.pdf

Link to roster:   http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/sport/m-baskbl/roster/

ORUParentLurker

This will be a contrast of styles for sure.  I was always excited to play a pressing team because you can get some easy buckets.  Unfortunately, we don't have the depth to run with these guys so that could be a dangerous game.

ORUJason

When OSU pressed ORU earlier this year, we completely fell apart.  Here is hoping that we have learned from the OSU experience and will be better prepared to handle the pressure.

• Upvote 1

Old Titan

Horrible match-up in terms of personnel and styles.

Three goals vs. Arkansas and Minnesota: 

• Try to maintain composure, no matter what.

• Stay healthy.

• Bank the checks.

• Upvote 1

theeagleman5

Sounds like two great games to take the home teams and lay the points.....with our short bench and 3 games in 5 nights....well, it doesn't bode well for the Good Guys....:|

ORUParentLurker
11 hours ago, ORUJason said:

When OSU pressed ORU earlier this year, we completely fell apart.  Here is hoping that we have learned from the OSU experience and will be better prepared to handle the pressure.

Well any team is going to be different in game 2 vs game 15.  But I see your point.

ORUParentLurker

Mills on the radio last night said Kearns was questionable for today. 

ORUTerry

That’s not good. But if he needs to heal, keep him out. Sam is needed for conference play. 

EagleManiac
35 minutes ago, ORUTerry said:

That’s not good. But if he needs to heal, keep him out. Sam is needed for conference play. 

Agreed. If there's any question about his ability to play, there's absolutely no need for him to be playing tonight. In my mind, this team is really overachieving and could make a run in conference play. A loss is a loss is a loss. Take the L and the $$$ and go home.

theeagleman5

Sounds like we will be yet another player short tonight in Fayetteville....Hogs are a 23 point favorite with a 152.5 O/U.... that's a ton of points but if I tease Arkansas with the under that sounds like a reasonable play...ORU will likely get worn down in the 2nd half with no Ruder or Kearns....Arkansas 86 ORU 65. :tb-white:

Old Titan

Can ORU hold Arkansas under 90 points?

Can ORU score more than 70 points?

If both happen, ORU covers the 24-point spread.

I think they will; but it's going to be ugly early and often, with the final few minutes of the game featuring the end of the Hogs' bench in a slopfest:  Arkansas 89, ORU 70.

ORUalum

The Hogs start their team Christmas break immediately following the game tonight, fingers crossed they are looking past ORU and toward a few days off.

ORUalum

I'd get Kearns off the court to save the ankle, warm up the bus, and destroy the game tape.

This is almost as bad as the women a few years ago at Arkansas when they could barely advance the ball to half court without turning it over.

At the half...........

image.png.29bfac392fdb46b0fe26220280e14958.png

ORUTerry

We are out rebounding them....

theeagleman5

72-43 with 11 min left....Looking good for TheEagleman. I decided to go with a tease of Hogs and over....so I have Arkansas -17.5 and over 146.5....ORU is taking a beating....:mellow:

ORUalum
18 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

72-43 with 11 min left....Looking for TheEagleman. I decided to go with a tease of Hogs and over....so I have Arkansas -17.5 and over 146.5....ORU is taking a beating....:mellow:

at least something good came from this beat down.....

ORUalum

Favorite line from the radio broadcast.....(down 32 mind you)

"the bummer of this is that ORU really did some good things......"

um.................no. 

theeagleman5

Unfortunately....Thurs nite at Minnesota could be even worse....Christmas can't come too quickly.....:blink:

Old Titan
52 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

Unfortunately....Thurs nite at Minnesota could be even worse....Christmas can't come too quickly.....:blink:

Not so fast:  Minnesota tries to play up-tempo on offense, but will not present near the challenges defensively that Arkansas’ length caused tonight.

And, they’re just not as good as the Hogs, with a loss already to Drake (the school, not the rapper).

Simply put, the Gophers May be more highly-regarded by the pollsters, but they would lose by double-digits to this Arkansas team.

• Upvote 1

Dr. Cornelius
16 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Not so fast:  Minnesota tries to play up-tempo on offense, but will not present near the challenges defensively that Arkansas’ length caused tonight.

And, they’re just not as good as the Hogs, with a loss already to Drake (the school, not the rapper).

Simply put, the Gophers May be more highly-regarded by the pollsters, but they would lose by double-digits to this Arkansas team.

Arkansas defeated Minnesota 95-79 on Dec 9th.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/game?gameId=400986414

theeagleman5

Agreed but TheEagleman will still be surprised if the Gophers don't beat us soundly.....probably 30+....not sure how much ORU will have left in the tank....:mellow:

ORUalum

refreshing honesty from Coach Mills........zero spin about better scoring in the second half

"Coach Anderson was nice and took off the pressure.  They could have beat us by 90 tonight."

ORU82

I appreciate Coach Mills' no-spin presser.  Be honest and move on.  We are still very much a work in progress.

theeagleman5

Whomever is responsible (Sutton? Carter?) for this scheduling 3 road games in Florida, Arkansas and Minnesota the week before Christmas should get coal in their stocking.........brutal road trips.....after last nights' beating  it's hard to believe that our guys even want to get on the plane and play a top 25 team less than 36 hours before Christmas Day in the frozen tundra of Minnesota....take the Golden Gophers and lay the points.....not gonna be pretty....:shake::worried::-(

Old Titan
10 hours ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

Arkansas defeated Minnesota 95-79 on Dec 9th.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/game?gameId=400986414

Yep, but in the interest of full disclosure, Minnesota did end up beating Drake by one point.  Their bad loss that I was thinking of was to Nebraska.