ORU at FGCU

ORUTerry

Un-freaking-believable, these last two games. 

Let me get this straight:  your juco transfer point guard quits a few days into the season, you lose your top 3-point shooter to injury, and you bench your preseason all-conference first teamer for lack of effort, and what do you get?

Oh, just back-to-back wins over two mid-majors who are preseason favorites to win their conferences.

Go figure!

Stunning turn of events - props to everyone involved. 

• Like 1

Haven't seen an ORU team play as well as they did tonight for.... years.  Every FGCU run was thwarted - and our frontline out-dunked Dunk City.  If not for their 3 point shooting, this would have been REALLY ugly!  We won this game with defense and rebounding - the first time FGCU has been held below 70 points all season.  Best of all, this team showed heart and grit tonight - and gave me hope for the conference season.  Playing as well as tonight, this team would definitely contend in the Summit.   

Great win tonight.  They feasted off offensive boards against a team who had been ranked very high in terms of rebounding.

Hopefully Kearns ankle isn't too banged up.  This week is still quite a test and then we get to conference after xmas.  I'm hearing Rudder is targeting Omaha.  That would be quite a boost to the offense.

56 minutes ago, WingMaaaan said:

How long have they been wearing new uniforms? 

Pretty sure that last night against FGCU was the first time.

Watching the game (again) on ESPN3. I like the toughness our guys show. Very impressive. FGCU had only been out rebounded in one game this year and we doubled them up 40 to 20

1 hour ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

Pretty sure that last night against FGCU was the first time.

Love the new uniforms! Can’t wait to see the home whites as well as hopefully a Vegas gold version, which I know the Eagleman will dig!

Observations:

* I like how Kearns always dribbles with his head up. He is court aware and seemingly unflappable. Very nice for a non-point guard. Fuqua is surprisingly good for a freshman who saw very little preseason practice. Harris is not forcing things on offense and playing good defense. 

* EMan is playing within himself. I like it when he drives to the basket.   He was very active. White is a beast on the boards. Very active. Our big guys are doing a good job of finding their teammates. 

* I like how we reacted when the got within four points at the 13 minute mark of the second half. And then when they got within six points with 7-1/2 minutes to go  

* The pick & roll was open (again) most of the game. 

3 hours ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

ORU jumped 54 spots to #190 on RealTimeRPI.

Yes, and ORU sends another victim tumbling down the RPI ranks:  FGCU dropped a whopping 75 POINTS (104 to 179) with the loss, one of the worst single-game RPI drops for any team this season:

http://realtimerpi.com/rpi_drop_Men.html

3 hours ago, ORUIllini said:

Love the new uniforms! Can’t wait to see the home whites as well as hopefully a Vegas gold version, which I know the Eagleman will dig!

I was a little underwhelmed personally. All they did was change the block lettering to the new font. I was hoping to see a bigger change than that. The current uniforms are fine, but it’s fun to switch it up. Hopefully the alternates give us an exciting change. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, EagleManiac said:

I was a little underwhelmed personally. All they did was change the block lettering to the new font. I was hoping to see a bigger change than that. The current uniforms are fine, but it’s fun to switch it up. Hopefully the alternates give us an exciting change. 

Agreed.  Thought we get more than a swap of the arched ORU for the block ORU in new font.  With ORU's crazy architecture why not a try a skyline of the campus w/prayer tower, praying hands, etc?

image.png.cd2c16f7eb1ce6385d449e8c40bd9248.png

Still hoping we see a throwback with the flame.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ORUalum said:

Agreed.  Thought we get more than a swap of the arched ORU for the block ORU in new font.  With ORU's crazy architecture why not a try a skyline of the campus w/prayer tower, praying hands, etc?

image.png.cd2c16f7eb1ce6385d449e8c40bd9248.png

Still hoping we see a throwback with the flame.

That’s actually an incredible idea. Would love to see that. I’d buy some of that merch! 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ORUTerry said:

Observations:

* I like how Kearns always dribbles with his head up. He is court aware and seemingly unflappable. Very nice for a non-point guard. Fuqua is surprisingly good for a freshman who saw very little preseason practice. Harris is not forcing things on offense and playing good defense. 

* EMan is playing within himself. I like it when he drives to the basket.   He was very active. White is a beast on the boards. Very active. Our big guys are doing a good job of finding their teammates. 

* I like how we reacted when the got within four points at the 13 minute mark of the second half. And then when they got within six points with 7-1/2 minutes to go  

* The pick & roll was open (again) most of the game. 

Yeah our "non point guard" currently leads the conference in assists.  Not too shabby.  And Javan is creeping up the stat board as well in rebounding.  It will be interesting to see if we can dominate the boards in conference.  Missouri State and Florida GC seemed a little shell shocked by our size and athleticism up front.

FGCU gave Wichita St. a good run but the Shockers held on for a 75-65 win at home.....FGCU must have been inspired after getting rolled by ORU last Saturday night.....:geek: