theeagleman5

Missouri St. at ORU

Old Titan

Half of those career 3-point leaders are Hall Of Famers - I think that's expecting a bit much from anyone on this roster.

Comparing "2's and 3's" in terms of shooting percentage is fool's gold:  yes, a made "3" is 50% "better" than a made "2", all other things being equal, but in terms of productive possessions a missed shot is still a missed shot, and any "3" missed stood a better chance being made if it had been a "2" instead, plus any "2" attempted stands a better chance of drawing a shooting foul than a typical "3" does.

Still, since shooting percentage on "3's" is still the easiest standard-of-measure, I think anything over 35% is very acceptable for anyone on this team, and anyone shooting over 40% from behind the arc should have a green light IF they can get an open look.

Old Titan

Missouri State's Monday woes continue in the aftermath of Sunday's outcome:  they dropped completely out of the Mid-Major Top 25, from 15th a week ago.

Others of interest in the latest poll:

11.  UNLV

14.  Florida Gulf Coast (Saturday's opponent)

24. South Dakota State

Receiving Votes (30th) - South Dakota

ORUTerry
1 hour ago, Old Titan said:

Comparing "2's and 3's" in terms of shooting percentage is fool's gold:  yes, a made "3" is 50% "better" than a made "2", all other things being equal, but in terms of productive possessions a missed shot is still a missed shot, and any "3" missed stood a better chance being made if it had been a "2" instead, plus any "2" attempted stands a better chance of drawing a shooting foul than a typical "3" does.

Can't argue about not drawing personal fouls - but statistically, you have a better chance at an offensive rebound shooting three pointers. I guess that is because of long rebounds from the miss. And it can argued whether a missed three pointer stands a better chance than a two pointer given how weak players are in their mid range game. I would love to see a team try to shoot only three pointers or layups for an entire game to test this 'theory' out - assuming the team has somewhat decent three point shooters.

ORUalum
42 minutes ago, ORUTerry said:

I would love to see a team try to shoot only three pointers or layups for an entire game to test this 'theory' out - assuming the team has somewhat decent three point shooters.

Flip on a Golden State Warriors game!:-D :-D :-D :-D 

But seriously, I think I remember reading about a DII or DIII team that tried it a few years ago.

Back to the game, I like how Mills will change his defense out of a TO -- come back with a possession of man or 2-3 before returning to the 1-3-1 / 3-2 / amoeba or whatever it's technically called.

ORUParentLurker

They actually played quite a bit of man defense in the late second half.  It was effective until the Bears ran the 1-5 pick and roll with that big gaurd they have.  Our bigs didn't play it very well and comitted fouls both times.

We swithed back to that eleven zone and it styfled them.  It's interesting how simply switching your defense can throw the other off track for a couple possessions at a time.