Missouri St. at ORU

theeagleman5

Good points....the Bears went up to NDSU and SDSU and won in very tough buildings....that's 9-2 and came in here with no reason not to beat ORU  by double digits....but I guess MSU didn't bring the A game and our boys were so humbled by what happened vs. SNU on Friday night that the Golden Eagles showed up and give it 110%....sitting Mr. Softee might have been the best attention getter of the season...besides, we surely didn't miss his 4 rebounds and listless defense....GO BLUE!!!....:tb-blue:

13 minutes ago, GoldenEagleFan17 said:

Somebody throwing shade?! Can't we just enjoy one measly win?

No, not at all. I think you misunderstood my point. The MVC as a whole is rebuiling much as ORU is. Regardless this is a good win for ORU and definitely one that should be enjoyed.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, ORUalum said:

D'oh!!!

Sounds about right.

Thunder can always use another guy who can't score.

When Albert is "right" --- he can score 20 a night in the Summit League.

Whatever the issue, I hope they figure it out before league play so Albert can finish what has been a solid career at ORU on a good note.  You can't ask for a better person to represent ORU on and off the court.

Albert suspended for doing nothing.... Sounds about right....|(

2 hours ago, ORUalum said:

STRONG bounce back for ORU..............and holy cow can they not shoot FTs.

E-man made the one that mattered most, though, to go up 7 with 20 seconds or so left. Also, his 3-pt Bomb with the shot clock running down was huge! 

I was proud of how this team responded today after stinking it up on Friday. The whole team was focused and played with a purpose. Some general observations:

* I texted Doc at halftime and said that our big guys were open every time they slid off their screen/pick up top. Our guards did not make the pass to them. Ahmedic seems very good at this (European influence?). In the second half we adjusted and got several easy buckets off the ‘pick and roll’. Hopefully we emphasize this in the future. 

* I also noticed that our big guys were consistently beating their opponents down the court after defensive rebounds. We took advantage of this in the second half as well. 

* We noticed several nice plays called coming out of timeouts or clock stoppages. 

I was so down after Friday's game but decided if I felt bad, I knew Coach Mills would feel worse.  I am so happy for Coach and his staff along with the effort I saw on the court. They  played a great 40 minutes of basketball and I am proud of the team effort. I really like Chris Miller and Emir Ahmedic play today. I have always felt if Javan and Emmanuel plus Miller could play together on the same page, we could be good. This was the proof today. Congrats to a great victory. :sunglasses:

I am shocked and excited to see a much better performance than Friday night.  I honestly have no explanation for how poorly this team played 48 hours ago vs. their effort in today's game.  It helps when you shoot around 50% and a make a bunch of 3 pointers.  I will say that the defense is improving on a game by game basis and the 3-point line is being defended better than earlier in the year.  What I still do not understand is how Eman and Javan can play so poorly against a D-2 team and then play much better vs. a 9-2 D-1 team that has beaten SDSU and NDSU on the road.

The one thing I will give Javan credit for is that he seems like the most active rebounder when he is in the game.  Even against SNU, while he was offensively limited, he seemed like the only one out there who was consistently pulling down boards.  

The explanation about why Albert did not play today is a little strange.  Apparently Coach Mills said that it was not due to anything that Albert had done.  I find that explanation hard to understand.  As was mentioned earlier, when Albert is "on", he is a force down low.  That is why I was so frustrated vs. SNU.  Damen Bell-Holter was the same way at times, 25 points and 10 boards one game, and then 8 points and 5 boards the next game.  It makes you appreciate not just Caleb Green, but several of the other big men we have had over the years who, while not having Caleb's talent, could still be counted on for something close to about 16 points and 8 boards every game: Rocky Walls, Derrick Taylor, Marcus Lewis, Shawn King, Shawn Glover, and to a lesser extent, Larry Owens, Michael Craion, and Kevin Ford.

• Upvote 1

Congrats to Coach Mills, his staff and the team.  What a way to rebound after an embarrassing loss.  Hopefully you all start to realize that we can play with and beat better teams.  Now use this win as motivation for the rest of the season.  Go Golden Eagles!

• Upvote 1

TheEagleman has been hard on the squad but this ORU team is playing shorthanded plus the heavy road schedule for the first month has to have taken a huge toll on the guys...these are just 18-20 year old kids and not seasoned pros....it's not an excuse but just sayin' that when you are playing the main guys 30-35 minutes every game with a short bench....that's brutal...hopefully with a week off here and they can get their legs back and give FGCU a good game next Saturday....the Eagles are 7-4 but still beatable.....proud of the boys coming back and getting a Big W today against a pretty good MSU team.....:eagles:

• Upvote 1

No one has mentioned RJ. He was a spark plug on the court, and he hit some nice shots. He has so much energy and enthusiasm. It is a pleasure to watch him play. He's also very smart when it comes to bringing the ball down the court, and knowing where his teammates are before he makes a pass. High b-ball IQ. Like father, like son.

RJ looked good yesterday. He was poised and under control. Did not force things. I also think Kearns had a great game (8 assists) and timely shots. Harris played well - especially on defense. 

The zone defense got better as the game went on. We extended it out - but not too much. The guys seem to be getting used to it. I also think we are running a couple of different versions (match up, etc.) 

Nothing like damning with faint praise - was the crowd really that sparse?

P.S.  What did I tell you about Emmanuel shooting the occasional three?  They were both HUGE buckets at the time.

"Shoot your shot, Shooter!!" LOL