So. Nazarene at ORU

theeagleman5

WE SUCK.....pathetic....if we win 6 or 7 games I will be stunned.........TheEagleman has nothing else to say.....;(:punch::@|(

37 minutes ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

Pretty obvious that the team has completely checked out. No effort. Out rebounded and got blocked 8 times by Southern Nazarene.

After that roadtrip I think this team's confidence is shot. Either ORU's scheduling philosophy has to change or rethink playing in Division 1.

I actually don't think the scheduling is a huge issue.  While I would obviously prefer more home games, there are a lot of teams out there who have traveled as many miles as we have.  Ultimately, it's a recruiting issue - and Coach Mills will either solve it or we will find someone else who will.  Based upon what I have seen from his recent signings, I think he is on the right road to solving it.  But this year (will) and next year (could) be painful...

• Upvote 1

A 6-9 guy like Albert Owens should put up at least 35 and 15 vs. Southern Nazarene....but no....Mr. Softee totalled a whopping 14 and 4....he's a stiff....and a big 6 for E-Man....another stiff....not sure how Coach Mills can stand to watch it.....those guys should wear dresses....ORU has tougher players on our Ladies team....:tmi:

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Old Titan said:

The brutal truth is this:  that was no fluke.

SNU had more talented players - who played better - than ORU.

I have no idea how good a team SNU is within their own league, or conference, or whatever they play in, at whatever level.

But, I know this much:  they're a better basketball team than ORU.

Worst loss ever - or, at least since the Cameron fiasco in Scott Sutton's first or second year in the early 2000's.

And here's an additional gut-punch:  that was an EXHIBITION GAME for Southern Nazarene.  It doesn't even count on their record. :doh:

This is really not surprising. The Massey ratings site has a page where they rank all college teams (well, the top 500) regardless of classification. They have not updated it yet to show tonight's game, and SNU is #256 (ahead of quite a few D1 teams) and ORU is #319 (behind quite a few D2 teams).  https://www.masseyratings.com/rate.php?s=cb2018&sub=12801

In fact, they only had us beating SNU by 4 points, presumably due to home court advantage. https://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=5955&s=298892. For posterity and before it updates tomorrow, I'll try to attach a PDF of that page.

Lots of rebuilding to do. Let's hope this is rock bottom and serves as a wake-up call to all involved.

Massey Ratings - Oral Roberts Golden Eagles.pdf

• Upvote 1

I'm actually an SNU alum, but son is a freshman at ORU, so was pulling for ORU to do well.  This just isn't a good team right now and probably won't be this year.  Losing to teams like SNU will not help attendance going forward.  I was at SNU's homecoming for my 25 year reunion in October, and don't know if they have that much more talent or ORU is just that bad.  Disappointed to see a D1 school lose in this fashion AT HOME NONETHELESS.  It's your court, you have to defend at all costs.  

Feel bad for Mills and hope he's got the patience to stick with his vision and recruits like heck!! These sort of loses making recruiting that much harder though!!

10 hours ago, theeagleman5 said:

....and a big 6 for E-Man....

Emanuel had a few fleeting moments of athleticism last night.  I wish he would play like that all game.  He had a nice base line jumper and a huge drive to the bucket in which he got fouled. He was way above the rim on that attempted dunk.  He needs to work that game because he definitely has it in him.

Athleticism is nice....HEART would be better....this is a dark day for ORU basketball.....;(

• Upvote 1

TheEagleman has been an ORU basketball fan since his senior year in HS (1971-72) when the decision was made to go to Tulsa....that's over 45 years ago and we were the Titans then....today has to be one of the top 5 or 6 lowest points in program history....feeling really low today....hard to believe that even though we are short of talent and players at guard that with our front court we still can't beat Southern Nazarene at Mabee Center.....but alas........no heart....no wins.....;(

We will learn a lot about this team tomorrow.  Time to see how much "care factor" they have left after that humiliating defeat.

Call me crazy, but why not spend every practice, film session, and meeting preparing for Omaha and Fort Wayne after tomorrow's game?  They might want to spend some time on FT shooting also.  Why would you spend a second game planning for FGCU, ARK, or MN?  Treat them as exhibition games and try to get a jump on conference play.

I have seen Eman, Albert, Javan, and Chris Miller all show some offensive talent at times.  I just didn't understand why none of them seemed capable of putting together a good game against NAIA talent.  They were taller and "bigger" than the SNU players that were guarding them.  Since Ruder has been out, teams have no fear of any of our remaining 3 point shooters, so SNU clogged up the lane last night and made it more difficult for the post men.  Perhaps our post men are not skilled enough to handle the double teams even against an inferior team.  Albert has actually done a pretty nice job of passing to the open man and playing the "inside-outside" game, but there isn't a lot of "outside" to that game right now.

SNU had a decent point guard, but other than that, there was nothing special about most of their other players.  As I was leaving the Mabee Center last night, I thought that this team's first goal needs to be to MAKE the Summit League Tournament, because embarrassingly, that would be an improvement over last year.  Then, anything else they accomplish beyond being at least the 8-seed will be gravy.  Then I won't be so disappointed when they drop a game they should win like the Oakland game, Pepperdine game, and SNU game.

I felt like this team had shown improvement since the OSU blowout, but last night's game was clearly a regression.  Paul Mills may have to get creative, but with Ruder out, there is not much depth to work with.  I was hoping for more from Manek, but he seems to have a "slow" shot that will be very prone to being blocked.  I did not see a lot from Emir Ahmedic either.  Jontray isn't really impressing either.  These were small sample sizes for Emir and Manek, but they do not appear to have the skill sets to be difference makers.  So ultimately, Paul Mills is left with: Emmanuel Nzekwesi, Albert Owens, Javan White, Chris Miller, RJ Fuqua, Kearns, Ruder (once he returns for conference play), and I guess Jontray Harris.  That is basically his 8-man rotation which is now a 7-man rotation for the next few games.

If RJ and Kearns cannot get a consistent entry pass into the post, they may have to use Javan White on the perimeter to make entry passes.  Then when Albert and E-man get a pass, they need to be in position (within about 4 feet of the basket) to make a post move and score.  They need to focus on offensive rebounding as well, as some offensive rebounds were to be had last night, but no one was in position to get easy put backs.  There is A LOT of coaching that needs to be done by Paul Mills and his staff before conference season begins.  

18 minutes ago, ORUJason said:

As I was leaving the Mabee Center last night, I thought that this team's first goal needs to be to MAKE the Summit League Tournament, because embarrassingly, that would be an improvement over last year.  Then, anything else they accomplish beyond being at least the 8-seed will be gravy.

First goal is accomplished - only because IUPUI's departure leaves eight teams, so every team qualifies for the tourney this year.

I continue to say that our 4's and 5's are not threats on offense.  I was at the game and SNU didn't attempt to guard Eman Javan and Al outside of 5 feet.  I know defense is a major part of the game but if you can't score you will continually come up short even against D2 teams.   I am not sold on Mills yet as a coach.  I have yet to see any in game adjustments that standout as being great coaching moves.  Also he continued the trend of bringing in small guards which obviously doesn't work.  

On 12/8/2017 at 9:00 PM, vcboy2000 said:

All. Time. Low.

Let’s see how they respond. 

They responded very well!!!

• Upvote 1