ORU at K. State

ORUalum

Ruder taken to the hospital per Mills.  They were unable to pop his shoulder back in socket at the arena.

When Javan stays out of foul trouble he is a monster on the glass and plays so well off of Owens.  Tonight was a great example of playing solid defense without fouling and hitting Fts.  When you do that you can hang with anyone.  

Sam, Eman and AJ combined to go 19-20 from the line.

• Upvote 1

Not into moral victories but we had every reason to quit tonight and we did not.  I like how this team is playing with heart and in the face of adversity is still improving from game to game.  I also am impressed with what Coach is doing with the team.  It will still take time.  BTW, congrats to the Lady Eagles!

I was at a work event and missed almost all the game - though Doc texted me some updates. Heard the postgame though. 

Coach apologized for not making adjustments earlier in regards to defending the 3-point line. 

Kearns is an iron man. 38 minutes out of 40 tonight and 43/45 against Oakland. Hope we don’t wear him out. Assume that Ruder will be out a few games. Anyone know which shoulder was injured (shooting side)?

Good to see White grab 10 rebounds with 14 points. This team is making progress and did not give when they got down by 14.  

39 minutes ago, ORUalum said:

Ruder taken to the hospital per Mills.  They were unable to pop his shoulder back in socket at the arena.

That does not sound like just a couple of games to heal up.  Have to see if there's any ligament damage; hopefully no surgery required.

54 minutes ago, ORU2017grad said:

Great that we hung in but too be honest K State looked very disinterested in playing the Golden Eagles.  

Maybe so. But Weber wasn't messing around he had 3 starters play 34+ minutes.

52 minutes ago, ORUParentLurker said:

When Javan stays out of foul trouble he is a monster on the glass and plays so well off of Owens.  Tonight was a great example of playing solid defense without fouling and hitting Fts.  When you do that you can hang with anyone.  

Sam, Eman and AJ combined to go 19-20 from the line.

Lots of positives.....I think ORU found their end of game FT shooter to ice the game......Kearns has the best stroke on the team.  Now we just need to get in position to do it.  I think it's coming.

Albert is continuing to improve passing out of the post when double teamed.

I absolutely love how much Mills plays with 3 big men on the court at the same time.  After all the grinching and moaning last year about Sutton going long stretches of games with 4 guards on the court it is good to see.

9 hours ago, ORUParentLurker said:

If KSU lets us hang around there may be  a point shaving investigation.

Seriously though this is a another tough game in an absolutely brutal schedule.  The guys are steadily improving but that won't matter tonight (most likely).

Rats, looks like we'll be in the center of an FBI investigation now... 

Seriously, though. I was in church for the first half of the game and checked the score once we got out. When I saw how close we were hanging, I hurried out to the car so I could listen to it on the radio (as an aside, the franchise broadcast has been great every time I listen to it). Hearing the guys battle, especially Albert and Sam, was truly great. This team is getting better and better. During the time I was listening, the guys really dominated the boards. It just shows that there's some real fight in these players! We will start winning these games soon. 

I am glad that Javan White had a good game vs. Kansas State.  It makes me scratch my head though because if he could have contributed anything on Monday night vs. Oakland, we would have won that game in regulation.  I never understand how a player goes from being almost invisible one game to being a dominant force the next game (unless actual playing time or foul trouble is an issue).

Upon looking at the box score, I am even more impressed with our team. We didn't even play very good and we nearly beat a Big 12 team. 

We shot three fewer shots at a significantly lower percentage (kstate shot 48% we shot 36%). However, k state shot 26 threes, making only 8 (30%). We shot 16 threes, making 5 (31%). This tells me our shot selection was about right and we we're getting decent looks, we just didn't convert as many as we needed. We had no business being in the game, shooting as poorly as we were. But the guys played really hard, and made up for not shooting very well. 

The statistic that tells how we almost won is free throws. We shot 26 free throws, making 21 (a very solid 81%). Kstate shot 17 free throws, only making 11 (65%). This tells me we were the more aggressive team, and it paid off in free throws. We held our own on the boards, actually outrebounding them by 1. We also only turned it over 9 times, the same as kstate. 

Overall, I think this is probably the best ORU has played this season, maybe even going back to last season. I am starting to get excited! 

What impressed me the most with this team is that there was every indication to think that coming off a tough, draining loss, that should of been a win, combined with having to go on the road against a Power 5 school, made you think that they would get blown out...and at times it looked that way, but they keep battling and made it competitive, despite losing Ruder...

I hope these games lead to success in the conference regular season.....I am concerned about having so few players...the long season could take its toll come conference tourney time

Yeh, not to rehash Mr. Conley but if he was looking for PT/action, he sure left the Titanic a little early.  Oh well, move along.

5 hours ago, ORUJason said:

I am glad that Javan White had a good game vs. Kansas State.  It makes me scratch my head though because if he could have contributed anything on Monday night vs. Oakland, we would have won that game in regulation.  I never understand how a player goes from being almost invisible one game to being a dominant force the next game (unless actual playing time or foul trouble is an issue).

It's 100% about foul trouble.  Javan is an incredibly gifted player.  When he is on the floor we are better.  The issue has been he needs to play defense without fouling.  In the second half against Oakland they swapped Javan and Owens in the zone and it really changed things.  Javan should be a better rim protector but he just isn't disciplined enough to play the center of the zone without committing fouls..  Owens is slower and can't jump as high but he wide and he is smart.  He ended up with 7 blocks against Oakland.  Meanwhile, Javan is mobile enough to really lock down the wing all the way down to the corner.  Previously, the corner 3 seemed to be always open.  Honestly, it seems obvious now but the coaching staff totally misjudged the effectiveness of each guy and now they may have accidentally figured it out.  The defense has been light years better over the last 3 halves.  Add in the benefit of Javan no longer always in foul trouble and its a huge improvement overall.