Big Sky / Summit sign 4 year deal

ORUalum

On 11/29/2017 at 3:29 PM, ManiacAlum said:

Classy. I can't believe you guys haven't been invited to an FBS conference yet.

And you still haven't said the pattern "like in the Bible" that you are referencing?

Have known about cycles described in the Bible for years, and like Jewish people for know them through its wisdom, the Lord has exceedingly blessed me.  Have you read the books by Jonathon Cahn?  

But more than that, believe most of the very people most despised by the church have spiritual gifts that need to be tapped by infusing love and prayer into them.  That message has been unbelievably non-tolerated by some Christians, even though it's entirely biblical.

Interesting....Any chance that UNDFan is actually Kenneth Hagin in disguise???...:wacko:

2 hours ago, theeagleman5 said:

Interesting....Any chance that UNDFan is actually Kenneth Hagin in disguise???...:wacko:

Have listened to Kenneth Hagin in the past.

But truthfully, think athletics is part of the mission movement.  Went I was still a young believer, got an impression that UND athletics would be given great gifts.  Lo and behold soon after UND got a $100 mill hockey arena - nicer than most NHL ones.  Have an impression that something bigger is coming for football.  Of course the reason is much greater than material things, but it adds more joy to the equation.

I wouldn't be posting if I didn't believe what I've said is part of divine plans.

On 11/29/2017 at 10:19 AM, UNDfan said:

We won the Big Sky fb last year and won all the major championships, fb, mbb, wbb, and vb. This in spite of UND having hockey as it's main sport.   We were the power in DII fb that drove NDSU and SDSU out, as they were pathetic in football last decade.  Only Brian Kelly before Notre Dame prevented us from winning several DII fb crowns.

UND with Denver made its own hockey conference when Minnesota and Wisconsin left.  The same thing will happen with an all sports conference and that's why Denver joined the Summit as they knew UND would join too with their Montana friends.  The NCAA rules on all sports conferences make the process much longer.

Rather amazing that the MVFC and Big Sky formed a conference challenge too, but only when UND joined.  The same thing happened to the Summit/Big Sky when UND joined.  There is a pattern here that too many can't see.  Like in the Bible.

....  "that drove NDSU and SDSU out"-  What drove NDSU and SDSU was that they were cutting the number of football scholarships in DII and some NAIA schools were moving to DII.  NDSU and SDSU did not want to be part of a watered down DII.  NDSU and SDSU asked the whole NCC (North Central Conference) to move up together but the rest of the conference decided it was better to stay DII.  UND and USD did decide to follow NDSU and SDSU about 5 years later but I don't remember how many years for sure.

What started the Big Sky/Summit 4-year basketball deal was the AD's from SDSU and Montana State.  Leon Costello was the Deputy AD at SDSU (2014-2016) before he went to Montana State to become the AD there.  Leon and Justin Sell (SDSU AD) decided to start this agreement since Leon was Justin's #2 at SDSU.  

2 hours ago, 91jack said:

....  "that drove NDSU and SDSU out"-  What drove NDSU and SDSU was that they were cutting the number of football scholarships in DII and some NAIA schools were moving to DII.  NDSU and SDSU did not want to be part of a watered down DII.  NDSU and SDSU asked the whole NCC (North Central Conference) to move up together but the rest of the conference decided it was better to stay DII.  UND and USD did decide to follow NDSU and SDSU about 5 years later but I don't remember how many years for sure.

What started the Big Sky/Summit 4-year basketball deal was the AD's from SDSU and Montana State.  Leon Costello was the Deputy AD at SDSU (2014-2016) before he went to Montana State to become the AD there.  Leon and Justin Sell (SDSU AD) decided to start this agreement since Leon was Justin's #2 at SDSU.  

NDSU wanted to get a head start on DI before UND got wind in its sails.  A 13000 marble floored leather cushion seat arena with better than pro arena acoutements  and a new domed stadium for football tends to get rivals worried.  NDSU wanted badly to get out and they needed a partner, so SDSU followed as the always do.  UND needed to make sure that that new arena would sell out for hockey, which us has done ever since.  When it decided to go DI, the Big Sky was waiting with open arms, something the that didn't happen to the XDSU's.  Quite confident that logic has never been laid out to you, as your board make it a point to detest hockey and anything UXD.

On 11/30/2017 at 9:02 AM, WingMaaaan said:

Fans invest their time and resources into supporting programs. The idea that “we” shouldn’t be used is laughable. 

I must disagree - even when I worked in the Athletic Department, I never said "we" when it came to the achievements of the various teams for which I worked.

The players and coaches put in the time and effort.  I got PAID for my time; and fans get entertained - and certain perks - for what they spend and/or donate with the program.

Which means, when the team does well, that supporters get first crack at decent NCAA seats. 

It doesn't mean you get a ring...

3 hours ago, Old Titan said:

I must disagree - even when I worked in the Athletic Department, I never said "we" when it came to the achievements of the various teams for which I worked.

The players and coaches put in the time and effort.  I got PAID for my time; and fans get entertained - and certain perks - for what they spend and/or donate with the program.

Which means, when the team does well, that supporters get first crack at decent NCAA seats. 

It doesn't mean you get a ring...

You can disagree and you can be wrong. Says my opinion... :sunglasses:

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/1/2017 at 2:34 PM, UNDfan said:

NDSU wanted to get a head start on DI before UND got wind in its sails.  A 13000 marble floored leather cushion seat arena with better than pro arena acoutements  and a new domed stadium for football tends to get rivals worried.  NDSU wanted badly to get out and they needed a partner, so SDSU followed as the always do.  UND needed to make sure that that new arena would sell out for hockey, which us has done ever since.  When it decided to go DI, the Big Sky was waiting with open arms, something the that didn't happen to the XDSU's.  Quite confident that logic has never been laid out to you, as your board make it a point to detest hockey and anything UXD.

It sounds like NDSU and SDSU went on a leap pf faith and UND waited and took a wait and see approach.  It seems like it worked out for all involved.

I think the Big Sky realized that they screwed up by not taking NDSU and SDSU and didn't want to screw up again so that is why the took UND.

Here are some quotes from a Argus Leader (Sioux Falls main paper) from June 22nd, 2006.

SDSU could feel heat

When SDSU and NDSU began NCAA Division I competition in 2004 - citing the number of smaller, less prestigious schools moving into Division II - it drastically altered the state of college athletics in the Upper Midwest.

It also was perhaps the biggest trigger for UND to move its other 18 sports into D-I with its men's and women's hockey teams.

"You could almost predict what was going to happen," said Fred Oien, SDSU's athletic director. "We were looking at what was happening in Division II, and it didn't fit what South Dakota State wanted, and the same with North Dakota State and North Dakota."

UND, which plans to begin the five-year transition process mandated by the NCAA in the 2007-08 school year, will not be eligible for Division I postseason play in sports other than hockey until 2012-13. Most of NDSU and SDSU's teams will be eligible in 2008-09, with the volleyball and wrestling squads able to compete for the D-I postseason this fall.

SDSU and NDSU continue to package themselves as a partner deal for prospective conferences, but a renewed UND-NDSU partnership could put the Jackrabbits in a tough situation.

Another option involves NCC schools making the Division I leap as a group - a proposal discussed since the early days of SDSU's investigative process.

Gross said one of the drawbacks is that if the entire league moves to Division I, it would take 13 years before the NCAA would even consider granting it an automatic berth to the financially lucrative men's basketball tournament. It might not even grant that request.

Sorry about bringing this to your board but it is an article from back in the day.

Gross was Augie's AD in Sioux Falls, SD.

• Upvote 1

Going to predict ORU goes to the  WAC soon.

Sam Houston St, SF Austin, Lamar, Cal Poly, Sac St, UC Davis will also join.

Seattle and UVU will get in The Big Sky.

Chicago St wi'll not be renewed by the WAC.

The Montanas, Idaho and EWU will join the Summit.

IPFW and W I'll will leave the Summit too.

If you're scoring at home:

The new 13-team WAC superconference-

ORU, UC Davis, Sacramento State, Cal Poly, Grand Canyon University, New Mexico State, UTRGV, Incarnate Word, Sam Houston, SFA, UMKC, Chicago St, Cal Baptist. (Seattle was going to stay before UND granted them entry into the new Summit FBS money conference).

Wichita State, a school which has not fielded a football team since 1985, will create one to join the Summit before eventually moving to the Big 12.

Oklahoma, Texas and for some reason Kansas are leaving the Big 12 together to go...somewhere.

Alabama is building their hockey program to keep fans around for when Nick Saban retires.

You guys seem to be oblivious to smart conference changes.  ORU  needs a conference that will cause it gain enrollment or at least increase appliacations, which the current Summit doesn t.   GCU, Cal Baptist and Incarnate Word all are Christian based schools.  That conference would be a dream come true for ORU admin.

Chicago St will not be renewed after this year.  Both Wichita St and Missouri St will probably join for FBS only.

22 hours ago, ORU82 said:

Thanks OT, I could not agree more.

Love it when some dude with Cheeto-stained fingers in his mom's basement throws together multi-conference realignments like he's playing the NCAA version of the old board game "Risk".

No doubt he also has plans for a 32-team college football playoff and affordable universal health care.

• Upvote 1

I still think the MVC is the ideal fit and easiest fit for ORU.   A major realignment that would create a new WAC seems to make sense on paper but that's a lot of moving parts and hence less likely.

On 1/2/2018 at 11:01 AM, ORUParentLurker said:

I still think the MVC is the ideal fit and easiest fit for ORU.   A major realignment that would create a new WAC seems to make sense on paper but that's a lot of moving parts and hence less likely.

ORU simply can't afford to compete in the Valley:  the MVC staggers home-and-away games, making for a lot of single-game trips, many of which are air charters. 

If ORU's season ticket sales were in the 5K-to-7K range and provided some revenue, maybe it's another story, but right now (and in the foreseeable future) this program is simply a loss-leader promotional venture for the university, and belongs right where it is in the Summit League.

On 1/5/2018 at 2:28 PM, Old Titan said:

ORU simply can't afford to compete in the Valley:  the MVC staggers home-and-away games, making for a lot of single-game trips, many of which are air charters. 

If ORU's season ticket sales were in the 5K-to-7K range and provided some revenue, maybe it's another story, but right now (and in the foreseeable future) this program is simply a loss-leader promotional venture for the university, and belongs right where it is in the Summit League.

Well, the motivation of bringing in ORU is partially to allow the scheduling to change.  It give Missouri State a travel partner to set up two game trips for the other schools.  I have to believe every school is interested in reducing travel cost.  The MVC is more likely to have a TV deal as well and that would bring in revenue.