Oakland at ORU

ORUalum

Any reason not to start giving the bulk of Jontray's minutes to Spencer?  Is there much of a difference defensively?

Someone needs to take the green light away from E-man from distance.........2-17 from 3pt on the season.

Some quick thoughts:

1.  Best job I've seen in YEARS of ORU wing players feeding the post.

2.  Nice to see "All Conference Albert" make his first appearance of the season, as opposed to "Bizzaro Albert" who didn't know how to play basketball.

3.  Memo to the Oakland post players/coaching staff:  Albert Owens is left-handed, and likes to spin right when he has the ball.  Thought you might have figured that one out after, oh, 30 times.

4.  For this team, Spencer Sutton actually could play a meaningful role.  If he had been getting those kickback passes from Albert once Oakland started doubling-down, I have to think he might have made at least one of the threes that Jontray clanked.

5.  A lot of things went wrong on that possession with 16 seconds left, up by 2.  Ruder made the fatal mistake of letting himself get double-teamed in the backcourt - cardinal sin against full-court pressure!

6.  If Emmanuel and Jevon can just provide SOME production offensively, and Albert can play anywhere near his level tonight, ORU may be able to overcome their deficiencies at guard and surprise some decent teams in conference play.

7.  Can't help but wonder if  "Papi" Conley was sitting home tonight watching on ESPN3, when he could have been helping his brothers-in-arms in those waning seconds....

Agree with the assessments above.  Albert came alive in the 2nd half and became that man amongst the boys so to speak.  Hope he can keep the fire burning.  I too would like to have seen RJ in the mix, it may have been the missing piece.  As for Harris versus Spencer, that is a very good question.  Obviously Harris became hesitant on shooting the "3" the more he missed.  I am glad they are giving Spencer some PT as this may pay dividends in conference play.  I do not see him as a world beater, but rather I think he can become a very solid contributor and one of those guys you can count on off the bench.  BTW he is not that small either, I like his size.  We played with heart tonight.  That is a good thing.  Finally, although I watched the game on ESPN I turned down the volume and used the TuneIn app on my I-pad to listen to Adam's broadcast.   If my ears did not fail me, I believe he said our strength of schedule is something like 20th in the nation.   I know we are getting beat up but come January and February, I think we may surprise some people in the League.  Go Golden Eagles!  

Good observations. Here are some more:

* They were daring our wings (Harris, Sutton and EMan) to shoot from the perimeter. If Harris makes one of those, they might have come out to guard him. 

*  Oakland plays defense the way I remembered. Not well. They are good on offense though. 

* Those last three offensive possessions were brutal: Harris drives to the basket, pulls up and then pivots (afraid to shoot?) and travels; Ruder gets double teamed in the back court, picks up his dribble and expects a foul (?) and makes a wild pass that is picked off - and EMan fouls; Ruder drives into the lane and instead of shooting - passes the ball to a unprepared White, who fumbled the ball and puts up a awkward (missed) shot. Coach Mills said after the game that he told the guards there was one timeout left and they should use it if necessary. A fifth year senior has to make that call. 

* Another home game where ORU gets no home court advantage from the refs. Several missed fouls on Oakland down low. We could hear the slap on White from my seat on one possession where a foul was not called. Would like to see how much physicality occurred on Ruder’s turnover. Maybe none. 

* Impressed by our tenacity and desire. Oakland is a good team and after getting behind by 10 at halftime I was worried we might get blown out. 

* Having RJ in this game would have been nice. He would have made a difference. 

* Oakland was playing without their star player who is averaging 24 points - so they weren’t at full strength. Still a very good offensive team. Would have been a nice win against the projected Horizon League champion.  

Young team?....both those guys are upper classman....Albert is an upper classman....not like ORU has 4 or 5 freshman/sophs out there....that mistake in the final 30 seconds not taking a time out was just terrible for a senior.....that being said....this team is 1-6 and justifiably so....plus we have played too many games in the past 10 days....over scheduling.....plus we have 3 more games in the next 6 days in multiple time zones....ouch!...:blink:

Better job with the video editing and audio levels on the postgames this season.......now they just need to lose the Eli watermark in the lower right hand corner

TheEagleman is not endorsing gambling by any means....it's not a good habit....I admit it....and I don't do much at all...just ORU basketball and I occasionally I frequent the race track because I love the horses and do well with it......I pick my spots....but I have to say that it's only 2 weeks into the season and at this point I have made more $$$ on ORU basketball on 3 bets than any total season in the past 10 years.....I should probably quit while I am ahead because that's why it's called gambling but so far this season this ORU team has been very predictable....not sure what the Kansas State line will be but it's almost a guarantee that we will get smashed....just sayin'....this is almost too easy.....and again...before I am banned from the board this is NOT an encouragement to gamble....but if you are looking for some extra holiday cash......:-P:devil::wasntme:

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, theeagleman5 said:

TheEagleman is not endorsing gambling by any means....it's not a good habit....I admit it....and I don't do much at all...just ORU basketball and I occasionally I frequent the race track because I love the horses and do well with it......I pick my spots....but I have to say that it's only 2 weeks into the season and at this point I have made more $$$ on ORU basketball on 3 bets than any total season in the past 10 years.....I should probably quit while I am ahead because that's why it's called gambling but so far this season this ORU team has been very predictable....not sure what the Kansas State line will be but it's almost a guarantee that we will get smashed....just sayin'....this is almost too easy.....and again...before I am banned from the board this is NOT an encouragement to gamble....but if you are looking for some extra holiday cash......:-P:devil::wasntme:

I don't even think it was gambling with those two defenses playing each other last night.

I agree that our 1-3-1 defense is brutal.  My question is why Mills keeps playing it.  He acts like he has the length and athleticism of Baylor on this team.  Also why does he keep playing guys on the perimeter who are not even a threat to shoot.  If the defense is not guarding you then you have no business being on the court.  I believe last nights loss falls on Mills shoulders.  He had a player on the court (Harris) who was scoreless in the game (who was unguarded) take the biggest shot in the game.  Also Javan has done nothing but foul and turn the ball over the past several games but continues to get big minutes.  With this being said we might get our only non conference D1 victory on Saturday after the K State beat down. 

probably the last Oakland / ORU game......

When asked what this rivalry has meant and what he expects in the future Kampe had this to say.

“I don’t think we’ll ever be back, I hate to say that because this has been a city of great joy to us. We maybe won our last game ever at the Mabee Center.”

No explanation?....Hey Kampe....Don't let the door hit you on the way out......:^)

12 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

No explanation?....Hey Kampe....Don't let the door hit you on the way out......:^)

I'd guess they can find cheaper travel games for the non-conference, the rivalry is not what it was, and if you listened to the podcast Doc C posted Kampe did not sound like a big fan of Paul Mills or the changes he was making at ORU.

What's the point in playing a home-and-home where your program loses money (because of travel expenses), plays before 1,700 fans, and takes an RPI hit?

He could have played a guarantee game at Tulsa or Wichita State, made $75-to-100K, play before a bigger crowd, and even with a loss would see his RPI go up.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ORUalum said:

I'd guess they can find cheaper travel games for the non-conference, the rivalry is not what it was, and if you listened to the podcast Doc C posted Kampe did not sound like a big fan of Paul Mills or the changes he was making at ORU.

Probably the correct move for Oakland until we improve. But the concern trolling over ORU's current situation rings hollow. Where was the hand-wringing about ORU's downward trajectory over the past decade? The coaching fraterinty's code of "nothing a coach does can ever come under any sort of scrutiny no matter how bad the performance or conduct has been" never makes any sense to me.

Mills has been on the job for less than a year and this is a complete rebuild from the RPI 300's. Gonna take some time.

• Upvote 2

The coaching staff’s inability to recruit or retain acceptable guards or wings has been apparent over the last several years. Especially point guards. 

12 hours ago, ORU2017grad said:

I agree that our 1-3-1 defense is brutal.  My question is why Mills keeps playing it.  He acts like he has the length and athleticism of Baylor on this team. 

I'll take a shot at defending the 1-3-1. 

• Most of ORU's guards can't keep anyone in front of them when playing Man Defense
  • This is the defense he wants to run when he has his players--- building a foundation for the future
  • Zone may help squeeze out a few more minutes of playing time for his starters

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, ORU2017grad said:

I agree that our 1-3-1 defense is brutal.  My question is why Mills keeps playing it.  He acts like he has the length and athleticism of Baylor on this team.  Also why does he keep playing guys on the perimeter who are not even a threat to shoot.  If the defense is not guarding you then you have no business being on the court.  I believe last nights loss falls on Mills shoulders.  He had a player on the court (Harris) who was scoreless in the game (who was unguarded) take the biggest shot in the game.  Also Javan has done nothing but foul and turn the ball over the past several games but continues to get big minutes.  With this being said we might get our only non conference D1 victory on Saturday after the K State beat down. 

I think Mills believes we do have the length to play the 1-3-1, but only if Javan plays a lot. Realistically, I can understand the thinking. Javan and Eman on the wings of the 1-3-1, with Albert Owens/Chris Miller at the bottom. Then, the two guards, both of whom are reasonably tall since Fuqua is out, take the top two spots. My guess is that with Fuqua out, Mills felt like there was nobody that could pressure the ball in a man-to-man, so he decided to play his big lineup more. The problem is that it puts Javan and Eman in weird spots on offense. My takeaway from the game is that ORU needs to play a man-to-man where they are committed to run shooters off the three point line and trust Eman/Albert/Javan/Chris to block the shots in close. Albert in particular was showing great timing on blocks. Giving up midrange shots is okay because so few teams want to take those shots anyway. Just run a funneling defense that doesn't worry so much about stopping the player with the ball from driving, as it tries to guide the drive to where the shot blockers are. 

On offense, keep going through Albert. He did such a great job with his decision making. He seemed to be able to sense where the double team was coming from and he would immediately fire the correct pass back out. It was refreshing to see them at least trying to play to their strengths on offense.

Overall, this game is going to pay dividends come Conference play. Oakland is as good as any team in the Summit except South Dakota State I would imagine and our team should have won. Better days are coming for this team I think.