ORU vs Montana (Malibu, CA)

ORUalum

10 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Honestly, I had forgotten about Emir Ahmedic even being on the team.  Has he been sitting out due to eligibility issues, or what?  He really contributed!

I was wondering the same thing as I was watching. Skilled around the basket and plays big. Good free throw shooter too.

Has he been battling an injury? Only played a few minutes before he starting tapping his head to come out. Must not be in game shape. 

Pantry has been bare since DoMo left....Suttons just couldn't or wouldnt recruit....over /under amended to 8.5....:rain:

Yeh, hopefully Coach sent a message tonight that just because you may start a game does not mean you get a pass to just stand around.  When Albert got benched the game did turn around.  People started playing with heart and hustle.  And yes, the cupboard is and has been that bare.

4 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

Pantry has been bare since DoMo left....Suttons just couldn't or wouldnt recruit....over /under amended to 8.5....

The talent decline began during the Southland days, but was obscurred for a time, due to the brilliance of Obi Emegano. 

The downward spiral from the Cory Williams/Tom Hankins days down to Kyan Brown & Sean Sutton simply emptied the shelves, so to speak.

Gonna take time to replenish the goods...

• Upvote 3

Love Owens, but he needs to find his motor or ride the bench. He is not an aggressive rebounder - very passive. Tends to stand around and wait for the ball to drop. Also needs to pass out of the post when his shot is not there or he’s double teamed. 

Lack of effort can be contagious. 

Owens....looks like Tarzan...plays like Jane....some pine time might be just the thing for the lad......    ..         :|.:a-owens:.:|

Loved Emir's heart and play.  Also, although Chris is still a little rough I can't help but think what he can bring to the table going forward.  

I have no doubt that Owens will bounce back......he's a high character guy.  It wasn't an accident that he averaged 17 overall last yr (and 20 in league play).

As others said, good to see Mills send a message to the entire team.

10 minutes ago, ORUalum said:

I have no doubt that Owens will bounce back......he's a high character guy.  It wasn't an accident that he averaged 17 overall last yr (and 20 in league play).

Never questioned Owens being a nice guy, and a great student, and all that good stuff.

But so far this season, he is a shell of his former self when it comes to basketball.  Not even close to what he could/should be. 

Big mystery is:  "Why?"

New staff, new system, new expectations.......I think he will round into form or see more of what occurred in the second half tonight.

As Mills said the post game......the floor spacing has been awful

I think he's pressing and reverting to the bad habits we saw his first 2 seasons at ORU.

We shot 44.2% from the field (23/52); they shot 24/56 - making one more field goal on four more shots. We shot 10 of 15 from the free throw line - they shot 17 of 22. Montana grabbed 34 rebounds to ORU's 31; we had six more turnovers (16 to 10) than they did. Possessions disparity is what cost us the game.

Ruder (37 minutes) found his shot; he was 6 of 9 from the field - including 5 of 7 from behind the 3-point arc. Kearns (34 minutes) was 3 of 8; 2 of 4 (3 pt). Fuqua had 5 assists and 2 turnovers. EMan (38 minutes) was 4 of 10 with 6 rebounds. White (17 minutes) grabbed 5 rebounds and was 1 of 6 from the field. Miller (15 minutes) and Ahmedic (6 minutes) grabbed a total of 4 rebounds and were 5 of 6 from the field. Owens (21 minutes) had 4 rebounds and was 3 of 7. Harris played 9 minutes with essentially no stats.

-I don't think that Albert is giving less effort, but he is not quick enough off the floor to let guys get in front of him and try to outjump them. At least put a body on someone and make them think twice about crashing the glass. I would agree that he seems to be forcing things. When he saw that they were playing him straight up he seemed determined to take a shot no matter what.

-I was interested to see what Mills was going to do when Big Chris got his 4th with about 5 minutes left, but he didn't even budge on the bench. Mills seemed satisfied with that frontcourt to finish the game. Not sure who would been up if Chris got his 5th.

-Good to see Mills use the bench in general. It was odd to not see an ORU team go beyond a predictable 7-man rotation. Let's see what some of these guys can do in game speed. And Emir made a nice run to the basket and RJ found him.

-Every offensive possession somehow devolves into a dumpster fire. What did we have...4 shot clock violations? And about 20 more possessions that didn't really go anywhere. 

-I take back everything I said about Ruder. Better shot selection last night. If his feet are set, it's money. Might be our best option on a lot of possessions. Kearns as well.

-That matchup zone is probably a lot tougher than teams like Baylor make it look. Sometimes our guys look like they are trying to make sure they are keeping assignments and rotations when it may be best to just put a hand up on the guy getting ready to shoot in front of you.

-Things look dark now but it is exciting to see some changes and not the same stagnant routine! They will get it turned around soon enough

I think Owens is who he's going to be. In conference play he'll put up slightly better numbers but he's not a difference maker. I'm not sure I'm going to be able to stomach many more games this year. But I know one thing, I'm really glad Sutton is gone. 

• Upvote 2